Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    best variable pond pump

    Looking for recomendations on the best variable speed pond pump, they all look pretty much the same apart from the colours , Aqauforte, Pond expert, Swell and Evoloution aqua currently using a Swell 30000 but it's gone wrong after about 3 yrs so looking for a replacement.



  2. #2
    Hi Paul. Have you looked on POWERBEE website? Pondexpert 2000 vari 179.99

  3. Thanks paulp5563, Djstiles999 Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Junior Member Rank = Fry sarks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    11
    How much do you want to spend. For me eco blue can't fault them.

  5. Thanks paulp5563 Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Sadly they are a bit too pricey for me, I was wondering about the Aquaforte compares to the Blue Eco pumps

  7. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp5563 View Post
    Sadly they are a bit too pricey for me, I was wondering about the Aquaforte compares to the Blue Eco pumps
    I've got 3 aquaforte variable pumps 10,000 20,000 and 30,000
    all mine have been faultless and some running for 5 years.... but like everything, other people i know have had problems.

    what i would say is to get one that is larger than your needs and run it slower, mine run between 30% and 50%.
    you will get better efficiency and a large bore sometimes, that means less resistance in the flow.

    but aquaforte are not in the same league as blue eco, or flowfriend... though i thought blue eco weren't sold in the UK anymore?

    have you looked at the oase eco max titainium, a very good brand, and they look very well made.
    799 for a 30,000 running between 35watts to 180watts

    https://www.fiveacrekoi.co.uk/Oase-A...-filter-Pump-1

    Last edited by davethefish1; 07-02-2024 at 09:39 PM.

  9. Thanks Maddog1, paulp5563 Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Thanks, it seems Blue Eco suppliers are a bit thin on the ground so maybe they aren't being imported for sale anymore, I'm leaning towards the Aquaforte pumps

    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    I've got 3 aquaforte variable pumps 10,000 20,000 and 30,000
    all mine have been faultless and some running for 5 years.... but like everything, other people i know have had problems.

    what i would say is to get one that is larger than your needs and run it slower, mine run between 30% and 50%.
    you will get better efficiency and a large bore sometimes, that means less resistance in the flow.

    but aquaforte are not in the same league as blue eco, or flowfriend... though i thought blue eco weren't sold in the UK anymore?

    have you looked at the oase eco max titainium, a very good brand, and they look very well made.
    799 for a 30,000

    https://www.fiveacrekoi.co.uk/Oase-A...-filter-Pump-1


  11. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp5563 View Post
    Thanks, it seems Blue Eco suppliers are a bit thin on the ground so maybe they aren't being imported for sale anymore, I'm leaning towards the Aquaforte pumps
    just be aware aqua forte hold no spare parts whatsoever. not so much as an O ring for the housing seal...
    if it fails after it's one year guarantee it's scrap. and you have to buy another one.

    if i bought another vario now i would probably get an aqua eco from coastal koi,
    their after sales is brilliant and they hold a fuill range of spare parts controller, impellor, pump front housing, and motor


    https://coastal-koi.com/product/aqua...ine-wave-pump/

    https://coastal-koi.com/product/aqua...e-wave-spares/






    Last edited by davethefish1; 07-02-2024 at 09:51 PM.

  12. Thanks Maddog1, john1, paulp5563 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #8
    Blimey talk about throw away society, just another way of making more money out of the customer
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    just be aware aqua forte hold no spare parts whatsoever. not so much as an O ring for the housing seal...
    if it fails after it's one year guarantee it's scrap. and you have to buy another one.
    that goes for most of the varios like pond expert ect...

    if i bought another one now i would get an aqua eco from coastal koi,
    there after sales is brilliant and they hold a fuill range of spare parts controller, impellor, pump front housing, and motor


    https://coastal-koi.com/product/aqua...ine-wave-pump/

    https://coastal-koi.com/product/aqua...e-wave-spares/







  14. Thanks john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai big h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    871
    Thanks / Likes
    1154
    Messner augers are quality

  16. Thanks john1, davethefish1, paulp5563 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    8,657
    Thanks / Likes
    15162
    I use a Jebau 18000 faultless for over 5yrs now, looks the same as Dave's above probably same manufacture but different label.
    John

  18. Thanks davethefish1, Maddog1, paulp5563 Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by big h View Post
    Messner augers are quality
    just looked at thier Q-tec 25 the specs look good,
    i particularly like the bigger gap between the impellor and rotor, this is one of the biggest failure points on modern energy efficient pumps.
    as the gap is very tight and leads to the impellor scaling up with mulm and jamming.

    though i'm not a fan of the design of the controller...but the 5 YEAR guarantee is pretty hard to beat!
    stuggling to find a UK supplier though...

    https://messner-pumpen.de/portfolio/...ec-25/?lang=en






  20. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    I use a Jebau 18000 faultless for over 5yrs now, looks the same as Dave's above probably same manufacture but different label.
    agreed, virtually all the vario pumps look so similar they are undoubtedly made in the same factory.
    though there are spec differences.

    it's just a pity that you can't get decent warrantee on any of them,
    should be at least 3 years imo...

  21. Thanks john1, Maddog1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai big h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    871
    Thanks / Likes
    1154
    Aquasource were selling them I’ve got the 20 k and 10 k

  23. Thanks davethefish1, john1, Maddog1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #14
    I went for an Oase titanium - a bit more expensive than some of the competitors but very low running costs, so cheaper in the long run.
    The only irritating thing is that the controller is sold separately.

  25. Thanks Maddog1, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #15
    Member Rank = Tosai PhilN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    South Cambs
    Posts
    38
    Thanks / Likes
    36
    I use Jebao 10000 and 20000 pumps and they have worked great for quite a few years. Like a lot of pumps they don't meet the claimed performance and I have to run them higher than I expected to get a decent flow rate.

    From the people I have spoken to this is the same for all pump brands, including EA, except for Oase who get close to what they claim. Obviously your pipework is a big factor in the pump performance.
    So when I set up my grow on I swapped my pumps around and bought an Oase Aquamax Eco Classic 18000 C and used it to replace the Jebao 20000 that was running the bottom drain line.

    I had to run the Jebao at 70% to get the flow that I wanted over my sieve. The Oase never goes above 35% to get the same flow and uses half the power to achieve it. As the pumps have been swapped the comparison is valid because they were in exactly the same pipework.

    Apparently the Oase Titanium range is like the Aquamax Eco with a turbo added to it and for the same amount of power used as an Aquamax you get a lot more flow. I'll probably get one of these for the next pond.

    The Jebao 20000 went on my skimmer line and the 10000 went on the grow on, both now run at 30% so I am saving energy there too. Another good thing about the Oase is that I can turn it down to 1% if I want to but the Jebao has a minimum of 30%

    My strategy is:
    Decide on the flow rate that I need and buy a pump that claims to provide at least double. That allows me to run the pumps on lower wattage for the same flow rate so that they are cheaper to run. Plus they aren't working as hard so they don't wear out as quickly.
    If I can afford it, I get an Oase because their claimed pump performance is more realistic and the controller has a bigger range.

    Edit to add: The Oase Aquamax Eco Classic 18000 C comes with a controller.

  27. Thanks john1, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    I've got 3 aquaforte variable pumps 10,000 20,000 and 30,000
    all mine have been faultless and some running for 5 years.... but like everything, other people i know have had problems.

    what i would say is to get one that is larger than your needs and run it slower, mine run between 30% and 50%.
    you will get better efficiency and a large bore sometimes, that means less resistance in the flow.

    but aquaforte are not in the same league as blue eco, or flowfriend... though i thought blue eco weren't sold in the UK anymore?

    have you looked at the oase eco max titainium, a very good brand, and they look very well made.
    799 for a 30,000 running between 35watts to 180watts

    https://www.fiveacrekoi.co.uk/Oase-A...-filter-Pump-1


    Does anyone use this pump on a shower?
    Would it be suitable?
    I see the only have a max 3 metre head

  29. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Does anyone use this pump on a shower?
    Would it be suitable?
    I see the only have a max 3 metre head
    to do 30,000 lph at 180 real wattage thats going to be very low pressure but high volume,
    so unless the shower is close to ther pump and low, like 1 or 2 tiers probably not the best option.

  31. Thanks brad, Maddog1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    to do 30,000 lph at 180 real wattage thats going to be very low pressure but high volume,
    so unless the shower is close to ther pump and low, like 1 or 2 tiers probably not the best option.
    / I asked Andrew about this pump, who owns fiveacres, And he said the same thing, that it was no good at head!

  33. Thanks brad, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,939
    Thanks / Likes
    11865
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog1 View Post
    / I asked Andrew about this pump, who owns fiveacres, And he said the same thing, that it was no good at head!
    it's a shame because with a more powerful controlable motor of say up to 400w,
    it would do more pressure and easily do 7 or 8 meters head.

    do they make a more powerful pump?

  35. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    it's a shame because with a more powerful controlable motor of say up to 400w,
    it would do more pressure and easily do 7 or 8 meters head.

    do they make a more powerful pump?
    Hi Dave. Think they do a 51000 lph
    Last edited by Maddog1; 11-02-2024 at 11:49 PM.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:10 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2024 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.