Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    We have a bad leak how long will bacteria last

    So I have had a small leak. Ordered the odd size fitting of eBay as my previous message to fix it but hasnít arrived yet. Issue I have is small leak has now bad enough I canít run the filter. Pond will be fine as I have two total filter lines so can run the other line so fish will be fine etc. Filter line that is now closed has water in the static and moving bed but obviously doesnít have passing water going through it. How long will it last until the bio dies. I can temporarily run the filter just to replenish the water hoping doing so feeds the beneficial bacteria. Cheers guys


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. #2
    As long as you keep a good air supply into the isolated sections you should be OK for a while as it is unlikely that bacteria will die, just become slightly dormant from my experience. After all, think how quickly filter bacteria can recover after being "attacked" with PP. Perhaps a small dose of Ammonia to feed the bacteria in there to keep the bio activity optimised could be worth doing to allow the filter sections to "hit the ground running".
    If you do add Ammonia please test the filter water before reconnecting to ensure NH3/NO2 have been broken down.
    My DIY ponds from 1988 until present day.
    All can be found here:
    https://www.ukzero.com/pond.htm

  3. Thanks Manky Sanke, charco123, hippo, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Aerating the biofilter and adding a small amount of ammonia to keep it fully active is a good idea especially if it's likely to remain isolated for some time.

    The link below is to an article about fishless cycling on my website and the recommendation is to use about 3 ml of ammonia and 100 grams of sodium bicarbonate per 100 litres to begin the process. However, since you already have a matured filter, you should only use about a third of the ammonia and sodium bicarbonate that is recommended in the article to begin the process.

    Depending on how you've isolated the biofilter, this warning probably isn't necessary but I'll add it anyway for clarity for anyone else that might read this post and copy the idea. If you're adding ammonia to a biofilter to feed the bugs, make sure that its completely isolated so that there is no through flow of water into the pond.



    Fishless cycling

  5. Thanks Ajm, hippo, john1, Alburglar Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,584
    Thanks / Likes
    5534
    If it’s just a temporary situation and you don’t have any ammonia, then you can always just piss in it a bit each day
    Personally I would dump the water and refill with fresh pond water also daily as you don’t want to exhaust the carbonates in there and have the pH fall.

  7. Thanks Manky Sanke, Ajm, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    Aerating the biofilter and adding a small amount of ammonia to keep it fully active is a good idea especially if it's likely to remain isolated for some time.

    The link below is to an article about fishless cycling on my website and the recommendation is to use about 3 ml of ammonia and 100 grams of sodium bicarbonate per 100 litres to begin the process. However, since you already have a matured filter, you should only use about a third of the ammonia and sodium bicarbonate that is recommended in the article to begin the process.

    Depending on how you've isolated the biofilter, this warning probably isn't necessary but I'll add it anyway for clarity for anyone else that might read this post and copy the idea. If you're adding ammonia to a biofilter to feed the bugs, make sure that its completely isolated so that there is no through flow of water into the pond.



    Fishless cycling
    Cheers manke I have used this method when I first got my new media I actually had a thread on here doing it! Thanks for the help!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    If itís just a temporary situation and you donít have any ammonia, then you can always just piss in it a bit each day
    Personally I would dump the water and refill with fresh pond water also daily as you donít want to exhaust the carbonates in there and have the pH fall.
    Yeah Iím going to do this twice a day feline once Iím morning and evening it hopefully will only be for a few days fingers crossed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,289
    Thanks / Likes
    9019
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    If it’s just a temporary situation and you don’t have any ammonia, then you can always just piss in it a bit each day
    Personally I would dump the water and refill with fresh pond water also daily as you don’t want to exhaust the carbonates in there and have the pH fall.
    ...that gives a whole new meaning to trickle in...

  13. Thanks Ajm, hippo Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    1,056
    Thanks / Likes
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    ...that gives a whole new meaning to trickle in...
    Have to say , the phrases " piss in it " and "I would dump" were far too close together for my liking
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  15. Thanks Ajm, Doitsusanke, Alburglar Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks / Likes
    18212
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    If it’s just a temporary situation and you don’t have any ammonia, then you can always just piss in it a bit each day
    Personally I would dump the water and refill with fresh pond water also daily as you don’t want to exhaust the carbonates in there and have the pH fall.
    Taking a daily piss in the media, surely that's the wrong kind of Ammonia isn't it?
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  17. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    10,131
    Thanks / Likes
    19428
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Taking a daily piss in the media, surely that's the wrong kind of Ammonia isn't it?
    A spade is a spade
    Piss is piss
    Ammonia is Ammonia

    Surly it's all the same

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  18. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks / Likes
    18212
    Maybe one for Manky but I seem to remember the question coming up before a couple of years or so ago. I think it Ammonium not Ammonia in our pee?
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  19. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #12
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks / Likes
    18212
    If I remember correctly it was Jason Megson that asked before? I think I've spelt his name right?
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  21. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    10,131
    Thanks / Likes
    19428
    Could be a lot of salt is our aswell

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  23. #14
    Ammonia freely converts between ammonia NH3 and ammonium NH4 according to the pH and either are acceptable for the ammonia bug (nitrosomonas) to use as an energy source. This is a graph I drew to show how the percentages of both vary over the full pH range:


    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. Thanks Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper, Alburglar Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #15
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks / Likes
    18212
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    Ammonia freely converts between ammonia NH3 and ammonium NH4 according to the pH and either are acceptable for the ammonia bug (nitrosomonas) to use as an energy source. This is a graph I drew to show how the percentages of both vary over the full pH range:


    "I stand corrected" said the bloke in orthopaedic shoes
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  26. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    A spade is a spade
    Piss is piss
    Ammonia is Ammonia

    Surly it's all the same

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Say that to ya wife when you start using ya piss as a cleaning product We have a bad leak how long will bacteria last


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    10,131
    Thanks / Likes
    19428
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Say that to ya wife when you start using ya piss as a cleaning product We have a bad leak how long will bacteria last


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She would be in to much shock that I was cleaning to care what I was using lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  30. Thanks samp09 Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,302
    Thanks / Likes
    11921
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    Ammonia freely converts between ammonia NH3 and ammonium NH4 according to the pH and either are acceptable for the ammonia bug (nitrosomonas) to use as an energy source. This is a graph I drew to show how the percentages of both vary over the full pH range:


    Great chart that, never seen it before.

    Does this affect the accuracy/compensation of NH3 / NH4 ammonia water test kits? i.e a circa 10% difference between pH of 7 and 8?

  32. #19
    Probably not, I drew that one for the students on my Water Quality course to help them get their heads around how the NH3 vs NH4 thingy works. I can't claim the credit for the original idea because I vaguely remember having seen something similar on line some years ago but it just showed the general scientific principles whereas I like to think that this graph is a bit more understandable in koi hobby rather than expect my students to fill their heads with scientific principles that I can make more understandable because this one is drawn to be relevant to their hobby.

    EDIT:

    To answer your question, ammonia test methods vary but a common approach is to raise the pH of the sample to over 11 pH with the first reagent to ensure all the ammonia is in the NH3 form. After that the second reagent only has to measure one form and present the result as Total Ammonia.

    That's about as simple an answer as I can give to your question, I can explain more if you want a headache.
    Last edited by Manky Sanke; 26-07-2022 at 04:18 PM.

  33. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    She would be in to much shock that I was cleaning to care what I was using lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Only just read this We have a bad leak how long will bacteria last


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:02 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.