Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Setting up trickle in but itís turning off over night.

    So I have finally set up my trickle in. I want it to change around 120 gallons a week. This works out to a small flow rather then drips when I do the maths to work out how much over the week. So I set it up go indoors use the water come out to see if is how I left it and it looses abit of pressure and comes out slower so I increase the flow go back in use the water again come out to see how itís left it and itís perfect. But then over night come out and itís stopped trickling in. This is the 2nd day itís done it. Also I am using a meter to see how much water Iím using and noticed that its actually not registering how much is going in almost as though itís not enough going through to spin the cogs inside lol. So basically I have no clue how much is going in and it keeps stopping. The only thing I can think of doing is run the trickle at a faster rate and have it running five days a week or something ? Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks charles


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks / Likes
    2266
    If the flow is too low to register on your meter, is there a way you can get a bucket/jug etc underneath where it comes out so you can measure how much is delivered over a set period of time?



    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    If the flow is too low to register on your meter, is there a way you can get a bucket/jug etc underneath where it comes out so you can measure how much is delivered over a set period of time?



    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    I mate. Yeah I have done that so I no what it should look like ie fast drip to a slowwww drizzle but like I said over time it seems to turn off. Over night though. As I been checking it before bed works fine then when I wake itís turned off ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,435
    Thanks / Likes
    2266
    Sorry can't really help you on that point. I would've thought the water pressure would keep it flowing?

    Is there a check valve on the tap? Perhaps the sudden drop in pressure is causing it try and be sucked back up the pipe and thats causing a bit of a vacuum?

    Tbh I don't have a clue???

    Hopefully someone with plumbing experience can help.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    3,914
    Thanks / Likes
    8509
    depends what kind of tap you are using,
    a hose union bib tap (garden tap) has a rubber washer that when the pressure drops expands stopping the flow.
    smaller RO type 1/4" taps are better but still struggle to set low flow rates due to full on/full off in 1/4 of a turn.

    the best type to set a low flow rate is a needle valve, i have one on my dechlorinator you can set it really slow, and open full blast open is only about 2.8 lpm
    coastal koi do them singley or in kits with connectors.
    https://coastal-koi.com/product/1-2-needle-control-valve-kit/

    heres my set up showing the flow meter



    the easiest way to kn ow how much you are using and regulate flow is with a digital flow meter.
    vyair and andy finch do them in a few sizes.
    for my dechlorinator i got one that measures minimum to maximum 0.2lpm to 5.0lpm
    plus it shows how many litres you have used up to 99,000 litres before resetting.
    https://www.vyair.com/en/6710m-32-di...low-meter.html


  6. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Kyusai Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,042
    Thanks / Likes
    1150
    I have one of the digiflow meters and works well. I drip 0.22lpm But also i suffer occasionally with the same flow dropping to a drip. Its the water company I'm sure altering pressure of flow where I live (we have water mains pumps). Its annoying, but usually rights itself again when pressure is back..

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Sorry can't really help you on that point. I would've thought the water pressure would keep it flowing?

    Is there a check valve on the tap? Perhaps the sudden drop in pressure is causing it try and be sucked back up the pipe and thats causing a bit of a vacuum?

    Tbh I don't have a clue???

    Hopefully someone with plumbing experience can help.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Cheers mate fingers crossed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    depends what kind of tap you are using,
    a hose union bib tap (garden tap) has a rubber washer that when the pressure drops expands stopping the flow.
    smaller RO type 1/4" taps are better but still struggle to set low flow rates due to full on/full off in 1/4 of a turn.

    the best type to set a low flow rate is a needle valve, i have one on my dechlorinator you can set it really slow, and open full blast open is only about 2.8 lpm
    coastal koi do them singley or in kits with connectors.
    https://coastal-koi.com/product/1-2-needle-control-valve-kit/

    heres my set up showing the flow meter



    the easiest way to kn ow how much you are using and regulate flow is with a digital flow meter.
    vyair and andy finch do them in a few sizes.
    for my dechlorinator i got one that measures minimum to maximum 0.2lpm to 5.0lpm
    plus it shows how many litres you have used up to 99,000 litres before resetting.
    https://www.vyair.com/en/6710m-32-di...low-meter.html

    Dave thanks buddy I think a bit of research is in order. I was chatting to finch Monday quality bloke defiantly order things through him purely based on how helpful he is. Il check out your links when I get home cheers mate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    I have one of the digiflow meters and works well. I drip 0.22lpm But also i suffer occasionally with the same flow dropping to a drip. Its the water company I'm sure altering pressure of flow where I live (we have water mains pumps). Its annoying, but usually rights itself again when pressure is back..
    So annoying scamp! Il get to the bottom of it anoyingly looks like more money though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Dave thanks buddy I think a bit of research is in order. I was chatting to finch Monday quality bloke defiantly order things through him purely based on how helpful he is. Il check out your links when I get home cheers mate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just thinking about it what you said about the rubber washer on garden tape. May be worth mentioning that when I flush the toilet run out to check the trickle it stops BUT it does begin to trickle once the cistern of the toilet has levelled. So Iím thinking the rubber washer canít be stopping it if it isnít happening in that example? Right ? Cheers Dave


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    3,914
    Thanks / Likes
    8509
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Just thinking about it what you said about the rubber washer on garden tape. May be worth mentioning that when I flush the toilet run out to check the trickle it stops BUT it does begin to trickle once the cistern of the toilet has levelled. So I’m thinking the rubber washer can’t be stopping it if it isn’t happening in that example? Right ? Cheers Dave


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the rubber washer gradually returns to shape over a long time due to the indent on the washer the raised face that makes the seal inside the tap.
    and is easily affected by mains pressure which can fluctuate a lot.
    for giggles open one up and have a look at it, the design is probably over 200 years old lol

    you will always struggle trying to set a very low flow with anything other than a needle valve which is only £12.50 if you buy the valve on it's own.
    you can get it a couple of quid cheaper from china on ebay but took about 3 weeks to get here, as they didn't have them for sale anywhere when i bought mine.
    but for the sake of £2 i'd get it from the UK....
    https://coastal-koi.com/product/needle-control-valve/

    if thinking about getting a flow meter that runs at 0.2lpm minimum, the readout can drop off and go blank (it does this when not in use to save batteries)
    when you get close to the minimum so choose one suitable for the flow rate you need, as there are different models.
    Last edited by davethefish1; 22-06-2022 at 11:21 PM.

  13. Thanks Scamp Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    the rubber washer gradually returns to shape over a long time due to the indent on the washer the raised face that makes the seal inside the tap.
    and is easily affected by mains pressure which can fluctuate a lot.
    for giggles open one up and have a look at it, the design is probably over 200 years old lol

    you will always struggle trying to set a very low flow with anything other than a needle valve which is only £12.50 if you buy the valve on it's own.
    you can get it a couple of quid cheaper from china on ebay but took about 3 weeks to get here, as they didn't have them for sale anywhere when i bought mine.
    but for the sake of £2 i'd get it from the UK....
    https://coastal-koi.com/product/needle-control-valve/

    if thinking about getting a flow meter that runs at 0.2lpm minimum, the readout can drop off and go blank (it does this when not in use to save batteries)
    when you get close to the minimum so choose one suitable for the flow rate you need, as there are different models.
    I spoke to Andy finch just now and he seems to think itís my water pressure. He advised to set the trickle keep an eye on it. If it stops leave it and see if it starts again. He thinks it could be the neighbouring house using water in the morning which is lowering the pressure and that it could just switch back on again. If thatís the case to get a digital meter like you said and then monitor the amount being used weekley. He is a top bloke I honestly canít praise him enough. Iím going to check my chlorine levels with the dpd 4 tablets and go from there. I think Iím guna swap out my three stage for a midi big blue! Apparently the 3 stage I have had 1.5 kg of carbon and the midi has 6kg so may go for it. Plus my 3 stage is leaking on one of the red button things so not sure if that can be fixed anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.