Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13

    Filtration options 1700 gallons

    Hi everyone looking to build my first koi pond albeit a small one (1700 gallons) and currently weighing up options for filtration

    Do you think an ultrasieve 3 linked to a bottom drain and a skimmer then split returns one feeding a 1m wide x 1m high stainless shower the other just returning to the pond would handle my volume of water or would I need extra bio ??

    Like the idea of a drum but wanted to keep things simple for now (ie less electrical stuff to go wrong)

    Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Thanks



  2. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,325
    Thanks / Likes
    9987
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiPolloi View Post
    Hi everyone looking to build my first koi pond albeit a small one (1700 gallons) and currently weighing up options for filtration

    Do you think an ultrasieve 3 linked to a bottom drain and a skimmer then split returns one feeding a 1m wide x 1m high stainless shower the other just returning to the pond would handle my volume of water or would I need extra bio ??

    Like the idea of a drum but wanted to keep things simple for now (ie less electrical stuff to go wrong)

    Any suggestions would be appreciated

    Thanks
    I believe (but could be wrong as I know nothing about the product) the ultrasieve 3 is more of a pre-filter than a main filter.

    A Nexus 200/220 filter would work well on that size pond and an aftermarket drum can be added to the Nexus at a later date so that is an option to consider.

    I think the bio in the shower would work but could be marginal once say, 8 small koi start growing at pace. Also you will need to consider winter issues with the shower freezing over or at the very least chilling the water, and obviously all the bio within being lost each year and having to restart everything in Spring. A Nexus on the other hand would give you plenty of Bio capability.

    Whilst I'm not a fan of EA products, my first port of call on a pond between 1200 and 1800 gallons will probably always be a Nexus since they have no moving parts to go wrong and are very easy to maintain. The main downfall of a Nexus when you have both a bottom drain and skimmer is that the Nexus can only handle one of them as its an extreme balancing act to get it to work effectively with a bottom drain and skimmer tee-ing into the Nexus' single inlet.

  4. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    I was recommended to get a nexus by my local koi dealer/shop but then another shop seemed to think they were crap, said go for a sieve and a multi bay which I thought was old school now

    having looked on here a lot of people seem to slate the easy pod/nexus in terms of mechanical filtration

    Ideally Iíd stick an Oase proficlear combi on it but £2k plus seems a lot on top of the build cost, pipe work etc

    Didnít think about losing the bio from the shower in the winter, looks like another few weeks of going round in circles trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each filtration type

    Starting the dig next weekend and Iím still no closer to a decision 😂

  6. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    My pond is about the same size as yours. I've been running it for about thirty years, with a couple of large water tanks, containing brushes, alfagrog and foam, with a central heating pump powering it. I've become so fed up with the maintenance that I've finally admitted defeat and ordered a drum and bio unit combi. Should be fitted this week.

    I looked at all sorts of options, Nexus, sieves etc. but the drum and bio combi just ticked all the boxes for me. Gaz at Aurora was very helpful and patient with my endless questions. Also offered good prices and advice.

  8. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    Yeah the multi bays with brushes and matting etc just conjure up memories of my old man swearing and washing them endlessly 😂

    I donít mind a little bit of maintenance but I donít I want that much, as RS2000 said perhaps just go with a 220 for now to get me started I can always upgrade if I get bitten by the bug

    unfortunately I canít do much about the size of the pond as my space is limited which means only a few fish, will be 7ft x 7ft x 6ft

  10. Thanks Ajm, g mac Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    6,630
    Thanks / Likes
    13767
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiPolloi View Post
    Yeah the multi bays with brushes and matting etc just conjure up memories of my old man swearing and washing them endlessly Filtration options 1700 gallons

    I donít mind a little bit of maintenance but I donít I want that much, as RS2000 said perhaps just go with a 220 for now to get me started I can always upgrade if I get bitten by the bug

    unfortunately I canít do much about the size of the pond as my space is limited which means only a few fish, will be 7ft x 7ft x 6ft
    Robbed ya self mate just over 1800 a think. Be closer to 2000 once you take on pipe work and filters

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  12. #7
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    Yeah I think Ive been changing my mind so much on depth Iíd forgotten where I was, itís in that ball park anyhow

  13. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,325
    Thanks / Likes
    9987
    My Nexus failed miserably once I increased pond size to 2600 gallons. It became next to useless in the height of summer with pond in full sun.

    But here's a video of my pond in summer when it was 1600 gallons with 8 small koi, and to be fair as the only filtration the Nexus didn't do a bad job at all:

    https://youtu.be/dx1f-AO8wz4

    If going over 1800 gallons in full summer sun and feeding heavy I think the Nexus might start to struggle.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  15. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    Right ok so with that knowledge now, what would be your starting point would the nexus do a job for a year or two and then replace it, or would you shell out a few hundred more on something different from the start

    is there a particular aspect you feel the Nexus struggled on just generally under equipped in several areas

    i appreciate all your input thanks for your time, pond water in the video looks great by the way

  17. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #10
    Iíve a similar sized pond and run a nexus 200 which I find does the job well,on a pond the same size as ours I think it would definitely be my 1st choice,I really donít get why they are slated so much-the way I see it is they are sooo much less maintenance than a multibay system and so much less expensive than a drum filter.
    Iíve ran a couple of nexus/easy pods now and find them decent
    Really I suppose it depends what your goal is,they donít do great with fines as Iím led to believe but personally I donít care it keeps my pond crystal clear and Iím not number chasing.
    I gave £290 for my last nexus 200 c/w lid pipes and other bits,itís old but thereís literally nothing that can go wrong with them (perhaps thatís a problem) think of how expensive & how many moving & wearing parts/sensors a drum filter relys on and it almost seems like a backwards step to me

    My setup isnít ideal being pump fed via a retro bottom drain and stays clear all year round so with a proper bottom drain setup yours should be even more effective

  19. Thanks KoiPolloi Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #11
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    Thanks for that, I think you may be right, I’m not trying to win a show just looking to make a half decent purchase to get me started

    was hoping for specifics on why people don’t like them if it’s down to fines, but the water parameters are good I think I could live with that for now

  21. Thanks Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #12
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,168
    Thanks / Likes
    4819
    Bear in mind you will save money in the long run by choosing the right filter to begin with.

    The much trodden path of pond filtration goes something like this:

    1. People fall for the marketing bullshit on the box of a pressure filter. These are totally unsuitable for a koi pond in reality.

    2. A Nexus or EasyPod looks like a nice all-in-one neat solution. Once installed people then have water clarity issues, and insufficient bio in a pod for more than a goldfish pond- so end up either selling that on or adding a Draco drum to the Nexus to make it work better.

    3. Sieve and shower/bio chamber option- lots of second hand sieves are available because everyone with a sieve eventually wants to upgrade to a drum for ease of use and water clarity reasons if they can afford to.

    4. Buy the drum they wish they had bought in the first place! Does not matter which bio you buy to go after it so long as it holds enough media for your fish stock.


  23. Thanks g mac, KoiPolloi, Gazkoi, Twhitenosugar, Stephen01 Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,325
    Thanks / Likes
    9987
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiPolloi View Post
    Right ok so with that knowledge now, what would be your starting point would the nexus do a job for a year or two and then replace it, or would you shell out a few hundred more on something different from the start

    is there a particular aspect you feel the Nexus struggled on just generally under equipped in several areas

    i appreciate all your input thanks for your time, pond water in the video looks great by the way
    Think the answer really comes down to cost.

    If you can pick up a 2nd hand Nexus for £350 or even less then you'll always get your money back if you sold at a later date, and it is most definitely fit for purpose for your pond size.

    If you start getting itchy about fine particles in the water and want an upgrade later on, you can fork out for a drop in draco drum, around £1100 when on offer and that will fit inside the Nexus and keep your pond crystal clear, also having the advantage that if the drum ever failed it would be an easy and quick process to remove it and the Nexus will still keep your pond clean while you get the drum fixed.

    However, if you want something new and shiny from day 1 that is an all in one type filter that will never need upgrading you could look at a combi drum that has both a drum and a bio section in a single unit.

    This would probably be overkill for your pond size, but will keep it crystal clear with ease and will still be adequate if you added a 1000 gallon extension to your pond in the future:

    https://aurorakoi.co.uk/product/filtreau-comb-next/

    Alternatively for a British made product with easy access to spares, Draco are about to release a similar sized combi for the same money which is made up of a Solum 16 drum and combined bio chamber.

    So in conclusion the Nexus is an affordable way to get you up and running, and you may decide it is plenty adequate for your needs and stick with it, but if you think it likely that you'll be taking the Koi hobby seriously, growing Koi big and possibly expanding the pond one day in the future, then future proofing with a drum now would be a good investment.

  25. Thanks KoiPolloi, Gazkoi, Djstiles999, Stephen01 Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiPolloi View Post
    Thanks for that, I think you may be right, I’m not trying to win a show just looking to make a half decent purchase to get me started

    was hoping for specifics on why people don’t like them if it’s down to fines, but the water parameters are good I think I could live with that for now
    I think it really depends on how far you want to go and what you want to spend? And maybe what space for filtration you have available?
    If you just want to keep good water quality and clear water to enjoy your fish I personally donít think you can go wrong with a nexus but thatís just my opinion,Iím not an expert and thereís plenty on here who are more knowledgeable than me and have done the nexus thing and gone the drum route and rave about it so there must be something in it?

    IMO given the simplicity and 2nd hand value I just think the nexus is well worth considering and still has a place in many setups,donít forget that while nexus and multi bays are pretty old tech now people have been keeping & growing koi successfully for years using them,so actually capability wise there is no issues,I think itís just down to striving for a bit better water clarity for some,ie less fines.

    The future according to most does seem to involve a drum setup but personally Iím not sure how much more future proof you can get than a filter that has no wearing parts and if bought 2nd hand still retain its full value a few years down the line?

  27. Thanks RS2OOO, paulbaines Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Junior Member Rank = Fry KoiPolloi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North Kent
    Posts
    14
    Thanks / Likes
    13
    Thanks everyone for your advice, still a little head scratching to be done but I will make my decision in the next few days and hopefully start digging next weekend I’ll be sure to post some pics of my progress

  29. Thanks Ajm, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    1,429
    Thanks / Likes
    2948
    Thanks Gmac

    cheers

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by g mac View Post
    My pond is about the same size as yours. I've been running it for about thirty years, with a couple of large water tanks, containing brushes, alfagrog and foam, with a central heating pump powering it. I've become so fed up with the maintenance that I've finally admitted defeat and ordered a drum and bio unit combi. Should be fitted this week.

    I looked at all sorts of options, Nexus, sieves etc. but the drum and bio combi just ticked all the boxes for me. Gaz at Aurora was very helpful and patient with my endless questions. Also offered good prices and advice.
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  31. Thanks g mac Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    1,429
    Thanks / Likes
    2948
    Thanks for the link RS2000

    cheers

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Think the answer really comes down to cost.

    If you can pick up a 2nd hand Nexus for £350 or even less then you'll always get your money back if you sold at a later date, and it is most definitely fit for purpose for your pond size.

    If you start getting itchy about fine particles in the water and want an upgrade later on, you can fork out for a drop in draco drum, around £1100 when on offer and that will fit inside the Nexus and keep your pond crystal clear, also having the advantage that if the drum ever failed it would be an easy and quick process to remove it and the Nexus will still keep your pond clean while you get the drum fixed.

    However, if you want something new and shiny from day 1 that is an all in one type filter that will never need upgrading you could look at a combi drum that has both a drum and a bio section in a single unit.

    This would probably be overkill for your pond size, but will keep it crystal clear with ease and will still be adequate if you added a 1000 gallon extension to your pond in the future:

    https://aurorakoi.co.uk/product/filtreau-comb-next/

    Alternatively for a British made product with easy access to spares, Draco are about to release a similar sized combi for the same money which is made up of a Solum 16 drum and combined bio chamber.

    So in conclusion the Nexus is an affordable way to get you up and running, and you may decide it is plenty adequate for your needs and stick with it, but if you think it likely that you'll be taking the Koi hobby seriously, growing Koi big and possibly expanding the pond one day in the future, then future proofing with a drum now would be a good investment.
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  33. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.