Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Greater Manchester/Iraq and Mozambique
    Posts
    406
    Thanks / Likes
    554

    Finer details of ASHP

    Itís that time of year. Iíve just upgraded to an Inverter which is easily coping with the pond at 20 degrees even without covers, with covers the koi are going to have a luxury winter spa!
    Ive got more flexibility with the inverter and the wi fi app in particular. What dues every one do re night time? As I can set it from my phone Iím tempted to run it daytime only when temps are as they are now, ie not freezing at night so itís running in the daytime when the temps are higher to be more economical, obviously if itís colder Iíll run it through the night to prevent freezing up.
    what does everyone else do? Am I over thinking it! Ie
    just leave it!
    im looking to keep at 20 for the time being with the lowest being 15 over winter.


    9000 litre pond, block and fibreglass, BD, skimmer, Nexus 220 with Draco drum,

  2. #2
    I’d be happy to keep it at 16/17 if I could get it working properly lol

    What make/model is yours please Feline

  3. #3
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    My ASHP is not an inverter and it’s holding the pond at 22C with no covers currently.

    The way I see it is one of the benefits of heating your pond is to even out temperature fluctuations overnight, so turning it off at night is not a great idea.
    If it’s suitable for koi pond use it should have built in defrost cycles and a drip tray heater to prevent that freezing up.
    Obviously your COP is less in colder temperatures, but short of using alongside a gas boiler for use in the coldest weather, there is nothing you can do about that.

    I have a Duratech Dura 10 plus

  4. #4
    Thanks Feline
    Can I ask, is it a case of straight out the box, plumb/wire it in and away to go

  5. #5
    Never ever ran mine though the night, usually runs from 9.30 to 16.30 only, I see no point in running it through the night when the temperatures are at their lowest only to have it doing nothing during the day with the temperatures at their highest, I don’t lose more that one to one point five degrees overnight even when we are well into the minus’s. It’s not going to freeze up whilst it’s not running with 16 degrees of water running through it.

  6. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #6
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlejo View Post
    Thanks Feline
    Can I ask, is it a case of straight out the box, plumb/wire it in and away to go
    Pretty much- although the drip tray heater comes as a separate kit. You have to open up the heat pump casing to tape the heated wire to the tray under the fins and wire it to a couple of the terminals. Not difficult to do, but not plug and play either. Unless you could get your heat pump retailer to do it for you. It took me about half an hour to install it,

  8. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #7
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    Here’s how the drip tray heater is fitted- I used aluminium tape to stick the wire in place
    IMG_3685 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    You do have to find the right 2 terminals to connect it to, but the instructions were good enough
    IMG_3683 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    Once up and running you then need to adjust the flow so that the temperature of water going in and out are 1-2C different. This is just done using the control pad settings. Then you select the temperature you want to run at, set the timer if you want to, and let it get on with it.

  10. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #8
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    Here it is running during ‘beast from the east’ when it was about -7C outdoors. Pond was at 15C. It never froze up as you can see on this pic.

    IMG_4750 by Lara Day, on Flickr

  12. Thanks freddyboy, chris.viner87 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Greater Manchester/Iraq and Mozambique
    Posts
    406
    Thanks / Likes
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Here’s how the drip tray heater is fitted- I used aluminium tape to stick the wire in place
    IMG_3685 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    You do have to find the right 2 terminals to connect it to, but the instructions were good enough
    IMG_3683 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    Once up and running you then need to adjust the flow so that the temperature of water going in and out are 1-2C different. This is just done using the control pad settings. Then you select the temperature you want to run at, set the timer if you want to, and let it get on with it.
    lol that’s funny, 99% sure that heater is virtually identical to mine. Blue fan, layout of pipes behind etc, I think a lot of these are made at the same factory!

    Lara, where did you get the drip tray heating kit from?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 24-10-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    9000 litre pond, block and fibreglass, BD, skimmer, Nexus 220 with Draco drum,

  14. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #10
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    I would imagine all heat pumps look very similar inside since they are all made up of the same component types

  16. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Greater Manchester/Iraq and Mozambique
    Posts
    406
    Thanks / Likes
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Doitsusanke View Post
    Never ever ran mine though the night, usually runs from 9.30 to 16.30 only, I see no point in running it through the night when the temperatures are at their lowest only to have it doing nothing during the day with the temperatures at their highest, I don’t lose more that one to one point five degrees overnight even when we are well into the minus’s. It’s not going to freeze up whilst it’s not running with 16 degrees of water running through it.
    I think I’ll go with this. Happy that when covered it’s highly unlikely to lose much overnight. Makes sense to heat in the day not the night.
    9000 litre pond, block and fibreglass, BD, skimmer, Nexus 220 with Draco drum,

  17. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Jampot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chorley. Lancs
    Posts
    123
    Thanks / Likes
    140
    one of the benefits of heating your pond is to even out temperature fluctuations overnight
    +1

    I installed a 9.5kw Crystal inverter 8 days ago. Prior to that water temp was down to 11.5 and is now holding around 14, hardly runs and I'm very surprised and pleased how quiet it is. I have polycarb covers on but no pipework insulation at present.

    In spring as temperatures rise I expect to adjust it gradually in line with maximum ambient temperature to keep the temperature stable.

    Jim
    I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish I kee........

  19. #13
    Jampot, not a stupid question but what temp will it go up to. Are you planning to keep at 14 all winter
    Cheers
    Carl

  20. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Jampot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chorley. Lancs
    Posts
    123
    Thanks / Likes
    140
    I have no doubt that 9.5kw would hold 20 degrees or so like Spongebob's but with covers on I don't see the merit in having hyper-active koi!

    14 degrees is a safe environment for the fish and I am feeding wheat germ.

    Useful read here from our Guru -

    Heating koi ponds

    Jim
    I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish I kee........

  21. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Spongebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Greater Manchester/Iraq and Mozambique
    Posts
    406
    Thanks / Likes
    554
    I have no patience, growth! At current temp they look bigger by the day.
    9000 litre pond, block and fibreglass, BD, skimmer, Nexus 220 with Draco drum,

  22. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    I would imagine all heat pumps look very similar inside since they are all made up of the same component types

    I also have a Duratech but the +7, had a board fail a couple of years back, bought a replacement board, fitted it, all good again. Googled the part number on the board, seems it is also fitted in the Dream ASHP.

  23. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Hereís how the drip tray heater is fitted- I used aluminium tape to stick the wire in place
    IMG_3685 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    You do have to find the right 2 terminals to connect it to, but the instructions were good enough
    IMG_3683 by Lara Day, on Flickr

    Once up and running you then need to adjust the flow so that the temperature of water going in and out are 1-2C different. This is just done using the control pad settings. Then you select the temperature you want to run at, set the timer if you want to, and let it get on with it.
    Hi Feline. I wondered about the temperatures in and out. I take it by setting a difference of between 1-2 degrees this makes it more efficient? My heater has only been running a few weeks now its a Proteam i11. I have it set at 15 degrees with a separate RS Thermostat. The in and out temps can vary I've seen the In at 14.5 degrees and output at say 17 degrees is that a problem? I will need to get the book out again. I have a by pass so maybe can adjust the flow this way?

  24. #18
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfrwm View Post
    Hi Feline. I wondered about the temperatures in and out. I take it by setting a difference of between 1-2 degrees this makes it more efficient? My heater has only been running a few weeks now its a Proteam i11. I have it set at 15 degrees with a separate RS Thermostat. The in and out temps can vary I've seen the In at 14.5 degrees and output at say 17 degrees is that a problem? I will need to get the book out again. I have a by pass so maybe can adjust the flow this way?
    Yeah, the instructions on the duratech are that you need a 1-2C temp lift for optimum efficiency. It will obviously work outside that range, but you potentially lose some COP.
    Do check whether yours has the same instructions tho.

    You just fiddle with the bypass valve a little until it’s in the right range. If you have a variable flow pump and change it’s speed for any reason you need to check whether this temp difference has altered at all and redo it. Mine remains remarkable constant once I’ve set it though, even if I change the thermostat setting.

    Im still at 22C currently but it’s now November and time to start going downwards. Just as soon as I’ve scraped some koi to check I've got nothing to treat before I do it

  25. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Yeah, the instructions on the duratech are that you need a 1-2C temp lift for optimum efficiency. It will obviously work outside that range, but you potentially lose some COP.
    Do check whether yours has the same instructions tho.

    You just fiddle with the bypass valve a little until it’s in the right range. If you have a variable flow pump and change it’s speed for any reason you need to check whether this temp difference has altered at all and redo it. Mine remains remarkable constant once I’ve set it though, even if I change the thermostat setting.

    Im still at 22C currently but it’s now November and time to start going downwards. Just as soon as I’ve scraped some koi to check I've got nothing to treat before I do it
    Thats a great bit of information thanks. Yes I think I am okay with the fish although I bought a Hi Utsuri a couple months back and it had a bit of mucous on its nose I put this down to rubbing in transit. It now looks like its either got a bit worse or its flaking off. Honestly last year the fish constantly had parasites last few weeks at 15 degrees they have been great, no flicking etc. What temp will you set the pond at for winter? I'm thinking set it at 8 degrees for say 6 weeks between mid December and start February. I'm NOTB so I think this heating will make all the difference this year.

  26. #20
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,876
    Thanks / Likes
    4203
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfrwm View Post
    Thats a great bit of information thanks. Yes I think I am okay with the fish although I bought a Hi Utsuri a couple months back and it had a bit of mucous on its nose I put this down to rubbing in transit. It now looks like its either got a bit worse or its flaking off. Honestly last year the fish constantly had parasites last few weeks at 15 degrees they have been great, no flicking etc. What temp will you set the pond at for winter? I'm thinking set it at 8 degrees for say 6 weeks between mid December and start February. I'm NOTB so I think this heating will make all the difference this year.
    My plan is to start going down by 1C every 7-10 days or so until it’s at 14C. I will probably then hold it there, with no feeding for a few weeks.
    There’s not much advantage to holding them in the 15-20C range for long because they tend to put on girth and not length if you feed them at that temp. I would rather they didn’t suffer a harsh winter though.

    I’ve got a couple of fatties and a couple holding onto a few eggs, so it’s vital I starve them to get them to reabsorb.
    If money was no object I would hold to 22-23C and feed until the end of November, but it’s a lean year

  27. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.