Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: Quarantine tank

  1. #1

    Quarantine tank

    So I'm quite a way off having a finished pond.
    when it is finished I'm looking at getting about 12 fish. But I wont be getting them all in one go. I think ill be getting 3 or 4 at a time.
    My question is how important is it to have a quarantine tank. And what is the minimum size? I will only be buying young fish. So not thinking I need anything huge. How long should the new fish be kept in the quarantine tank for?


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk



  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai KyKoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    Thanks / Likes
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by colinley1979 View Post
    So I'm quite a way off having a finished pond.
    when it is finished I'm looking at getting about 12 fish. But I wont be getting them all in one go. I think ill be getting 3 or 4 at a time.
    My question is how important is it to have a quarantine tank. And what is the minimum size? I will only be buying young fish. So not thinking I need anything huge. How long should the new fish be kept in the quarantine tank for?


    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hi, Iím a novice myself so nothing I say necessarily right nor wrong, I have recently built my pond also. I used a 100gal quarantine tank, I tested the water daily and kept it heated above lets say average as one of my biggest fears are parasites. I read up and decided adding pond salt was my preferred method. I read it has many beneficial factors. I guess it all depends where you get your fish from. A lot of places I believe buy quarantined fish from wholesalers but after that who knows whatís been in and out of the water, especially in these garden centres. I have now adopted the idea of buying from specific koi dealers however I am still quarantining the fish for 7 days. A friend of mine brought a koi from a aquatics place and after a week it was riddled with white spot, which then infected his whole pond. Luckily we rectified the problem with 28 degree water. As a whole I will always quarantine my fish for piece of mind. I hope this may help but I Defo ainít no expert Quarantine tank


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks colinley1979, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Thanks mate I'm looking at buying this.
    I'm just waiting for the seller to confirm the sizes

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,489
    Thanks / Likes
    14576
    Quote Originally Posted by colinley1979 View Post
    Thanks mate I'm looking at buying this.
    I'm just waiting for the seller to confirm the sizes

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    If your not heated a QT grow on is a must in my opinion. Easy to heat that. For treatments. Saved loads of fish. With my qt.
    Also as said new fish in there. To watch and inspect for problems.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks KyKoi, Gazkoi, Scottybee Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    Its something I really need to look at doing but not sure I have the space to get one in
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  10. Thanks KyKoi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai KyKoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    Thanks / Likes
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    Its something I really need to look at doing but not sure I have the space to get one in
    Roy I used a aqua forte foldable qt. it was £70 I think and for me did the job perfectly, however, my biggest fish is 18-20íí my fish seemed fine in there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. Thanks freddyboy, RoyLittle0 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    I know mate they one I'm looking at getting is quite a big lump. And I will only be using it to quarantine the new fish in. Unless any of them get ill later on.

    One other thing is how would I keep the media mature in the quarantine tank filter ?
    Does it need to be running 24/7 like the main pond??

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  14. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai KyKoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    Thanks / Likes
    72
    My head is telling me if your using quarantine for introducing new fish for say a few months then yes keep it running, however if you are treating sick fish would it not be better to thoroughly clean the whole QT system to prevent and further contamination? Thatís what I would do myself but Iím still trying and learning lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,489
    Thanks / Likes
    14576
    Quote Originally Posted by colinley1979 View Post
    I know mate they one I'm looking at getting is quite a big lump. And I will only be using it to quarantine the new fish in. Unless any of them get ill later on.

    One other thing is how would I keep the media mature in the quarantine tank filter ?
    Does it need to be running 24/7 like the main pond??

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yes it does mate. To keep media and tank mature. The only other way is to use mature media of your main pond. I will always keep a couple of fish in mine. To keep it mature. After next year my Rudd are going in there.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  18. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    Quote Originally Posted by KyKoi View Post
    Roy I used a aqua forte foldable qt. it was £70 I think and for me did the job perfectly, however, my biggest fish is 18-20’’ my fish seemed fine in there.
    Its as much the filtration side of things that's as big if not bigger than the tank itself, the tank I can make out of polyurethane foam and fiberglass, which I can get in but its all the filtration that goes with it
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  19. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,489
    Thanks / Likes
    14576
    Quote Originally Posted by KyKoi View Post
    My head is telling me if your using quarantine for introducing new fish for say a few months then yes keep it running, however if you are treating sick fish would it not be better to thoroughly clean the whole QT system to prevent and further contamination? Thatís what I would do myself but Iím still trying and learning lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you run it right. It should nt need to be cleaned out. Because if you put a fish in the qt. Your treating the fish with what ever
    The infection is. So if its flukes fluke treatment. Or what ever. I have seven grow ons in mine now. And just added 2 new ochibas. I watch them every day now for 6 months. I will be heat ramping to 30c for
    A 2 day period. And that will take care of a few parasites. Just with heat ramping. 28c kills costia. Every now and again I pp the system out.
    Not with the fish in. I put them in a vat for the day. PP it. Then top up with fresh water.
    500 gallons. 4 years now not a problem.
    When you have a fish with a bad ulcer or mouth rot. Heat at 22c and 0.3 % salt.and gradually up it to 0.6 % salt. Heals them in no time.
    Fred


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  21. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,489
    Thanks / Likes
    14576
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    Its as much the filtration side of things that's as big if not bigger than the tank itself, the tank I can make out of polyurethane foam and fiberglass, which I can get in but its all the filtration that goes with it
    Little midi sieve and a couple of water butts.
    I have easy pod. And 2x 100ltr water butts.
    That does the job on mine Roy. A shower
    Is a good addition. I ain't got the head room on mine lol but the water butts do a good job.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  22. Thanks KyKoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Little midi sieve and a couple of water butts.
    I have easy pod. And 2x 100ltr water butts.
    That does the job on mine Roy. A shower
    Is a good addition. I ain't got the head room on mine lol but the water butts do a good job.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That's not exactly small now is it Fred

    My sheds only 2 mts x 2 mts
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  24. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai KyKoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    28
    Thanks / Likes
    72
    Looks like Iím making some room in the garage today, perm QT here we come lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. Thanks RoyLittle0, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    If I had a garage it would be full of cars or car parts lol
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  28. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    That's not exactly small now is it Fred

    My sheds only 2 mts x 2 mts
    Don't forget he needs the extra room to leave the lids of his waterproof sockets open Roy lol

    Yes I can guess what's coming next

  30. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Don't forget he needs the extra room to leave the lids of his waterproof sockets open Roy lol

    Yes I can guess what's coming next

    Who would do that
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  32. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    Who would do that
    Who do you think? LOL

  34. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,335
    Thanks / Likes
    4230
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Who do you think? LOL
    It would be wrong of me to say
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  36. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    It would be wrong of me to say
    That's unlike you lol

  38. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:59 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.