Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Moving bed build advice.

    Hi, I am going to try to build a moving bed for my 2400 g pond. I was thinking of using a water butt is this ok to use and what size butt should I use?

    Any advice greatly appreciated

    Thanks

    Peter



  2. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,737
    Thanks / Likes
    5867
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Hi, I am going to try to build a moving bed for my 2400 g pond. I was thinking of using a water butt is this ok to use and what size butt should I use?

    Any advice greatly appreciated

    Thanks

    Peter
    Freddy boy on here has 2 waterbutts joined together for his grow on. Have a look at his build thread mate it's on there

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  4. Thanks Jazz, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    5,241
    Thanks / Likes
    8584
    Hi Jazz, presume when you say a moving bed you mean something like k1 with air?

    Water buts are fine and cheap for about 20,would go for the larger size and Wicks etc do them.
    I made my own and have the inlet near the top and outlet near the bottom.
    John

  6. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Hi John, Thanks for your reply, the fact is I a really new at keeping koi have you any photos so I can borrow your ideals? I want to use K1 and air what size water butts100 L or 200 or even bigger you would you recommend for a 2400 g pond and how much K1 should I use approximately.

    Thanks
    Jazz

  8. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Hi John, Thanks for your reply, the fact is I a really new at keeping koi have you any photos so I can borrow your ideals? I want to use K1 and air what size water butts100 L or 200 or even bigger you would you recommend for a 2400 g pond and how much K1 should I use approximately.

    Thanks
    Jazz
    Spring bank koi does a video on YouTube making a moving bed. Also make sure the water butt has two flat large surfaces for you to attach your tank fittings


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks Ajm, Jazz, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,670
    Thanks / Likes
    11289
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Freddy boy on here has 2 waterbutts joined together for his grow on. Have a look at his build thread mate it's on there

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    my setup with water butts are easy pod which is mechanical filter with k1. the 2x 100ltr water butts. there not k1. its grog jap matt and wool. and its for a 500 gallon grow on
    not my main pond
    that would be to small for a pond. you need larger volume on your k1 moving bed in my opinion. something that can hold at least 200lt k1 minimum. so say a 400ltr IBC or barrel

  12. Thanks Ajm, Jazz Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    5,241
    Thanks / Likes
    8584
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Hi John, Thanks for your reply, the fact is I a really new at keeping koi have you any photos so I can borrow your ideals? I want to use K1 and air what size water butts100 L or 200 or even bigger you would you recommend for a 2400 g pond and how much K1 should I use approximately.

    Thanks
    Jazz
    Hi Jazz, If useing a water but go for the largest,you can buy blue barrel 45 gal plastic drums cheap and they are strong as long as they are food safe and not had any nasties in.
    Another option is a small ibc tank think they are about 100 odd gals depends how much room you have.

    I made mine from a sheet of ply then fiberglass it but it was a lot of work but I will see if I can find some photos for you.
    My pond is 3000 gals so similar to yours and I have about 150 ltrs of k1 but also have a shower after a drum.
    John

  14. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, Jazz Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.