Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
TuffX Glass
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Hiblow XP80 - wiring help !

    Hi, Iíve just bought a Hiblow80 XP airpump and it came without a plug. Iím sure itís a very basic question but Iím confused by the wiring. Brown/Live and Blue/Neutral I get but what is the Black N/C wire Ö Iím not confident that that is simply the earth wire ??? Apologies for my ignorance but appreciate any help



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    where did you get the pump from, no instructions in the box?
    if not new has the cable been replaced?

    earth should be easy to test for with continuity on a multimeter,
    on the metal case and the wires to identify earth.

  3. #3
    Thanks Dave. Brand new and will call supplier tomorrow .. I just wanted to get it up and running today. Instructions just show brown and blue.

    My best guess is that n/c is ďnot connectedĒ and I just connect brown and blue. Which would mean no earth Ö which had thrown me as Iíve not come across that before.


    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    where did you get the pump from, no instructions in the box?
    if not new has the cable been replaced?

    earth should be easy to test for with continuity on a multimeter,
    on the metal case and the wires to identify earth.

  4. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu72 View Post
    Thanks Dave. Brand new and will call supplier tomorrow .. I just wanted to get it up and running today. Instructions just show brown and blue.

    My best guess is that n/c is “not connected” and I just connect brown and blue. Which would mean no earth … which had thrown me as I’ve not come across that before.
    i would only not connect the earth to a class 2 double insulated appliance,
    which would be denoted by a double square symbol


    everything else must be earthed.
    especially if it has a metal casing.

    could be the black wire is something to do with a control wire for septic tanks that these pumps were designed for?

  6. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    this video of an american xp80 shows a pair of wires to power the pump and a separate green earth wire clamped to the housing.
    so yeah, it definately needs an earth...



  8. #6
    Problem sorted Ö it is double insulated and has that symbol .. hadnít come across that before. So just need the 2 wires.

    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i would only not connect the earth to a class 2 double insulated appliance,
    which would be denoted by a double square symbol


    everything else must be earthed.
    especially if it has a metal casing.

    could be the black wire is something to do with a control wire for septic tanks that these pumps were designed for?

  9. Thanks davethefish1, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu72 View Post
    Problem sorted … it is double insulated and has that symbol .. hadn’t come across that before. So just need the 2 wires.
    is the case plastic then?
    in all the appliances i've pat tested over the years...
    if it is a metal case it must be class 1 (earthed)
    if it has a 3 core cable it must be class 1 (earthed)

  11. #8
    Seems to be mostly metal with a plastic part covering the air filter
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    is the case plastic then?
    in all the appliances i've pat tested over the years...
    if it is a metal case it must be class 1 (earthed)
    if it has a 3 core cable it must be class 1 (earthed)

  12. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu72 View Post
    Seems to be mostly metal with a plastic part covering the air filter
    Then it should be earthed.
    Can you post a picture of the pump with double square symbol?

  14. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai NickK-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks / Likes
    1602
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    Then it should be earthed.
    Can you post a picture of the pump with double square symbol?
    Interesting - I have an XP80 (different to the HG80 which has been very common). I can spring open the distribution block and check the power cord. IIRC it had live, neutral and earth but I'll confirm.
    Eco Pond: 13,000 litres, 20K+ lph Airlifts, 1300l anoxic, Solum 16. No pump. 58W total.

  15. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai NickK-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks / Likes
    1602
    So I have a distribution box that has it's own fast blow fuses for each (IIRC it's 4A), a mains plug fuse, a garage fuse trip and on it's own consumer breaker in the house. IIRC the garage fuse box is L-N trip and the house is a L-N and L-E trip. None of that would help if you're touching the metal body of the pump.

    Inside the distribution box I've just got L and N connected, the E isn't and the NC wire has been cut back (I did the install last year). So I would be interested to know if NC can be connected to earth by opening up the XP80 and see if the NC has been bonded to case as the protective earth.

    I don't know much but I have designed and built my own tube amps. The first thing that goes in is a dedicated protective earth (ie mains earth) to chassis bond with scraping the paint, toothed washers and crimped+soldered cable.
    You'd need two for the XP80 inside as there's a plastic seal around the lid if it was for earthing.

    Only issue is that pump is my XP80 runs water circulation (airlifts) and air. So I can't really simply unplug it and pull the XP80 apart without interrupting the pond. Although I've designed and worked with 640VDC as part of the tube amps I really don't want to open the XP80 live as I don't know the internal structures.
    Eco Pond: 13,000 litres, 20K+ lph Airlifts, 1300l anoxic, Solum 16. No pump. 58W total.

  16. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8991
    Quote Originally Posted by NickK-UK View Post
    So I have a distribution box that has it's own fast blow fuses for each (IIRC it's 4A), a mains plug fuse, a garage fuse trip and on it's own consumer breaker in the house. IIRC the garage fuse box is L-N trip and the house is a L-N and L-E trip. None of that would help if you're touching the metal body of the pump.

    Inside the distribution box I've just got L and N connected, the E isn't and the NC wire has been cut back (I did the install last year). So I would be interested to know if NC can be connected to earth by opening up the XP80 and see if the NC has been bonded to case as the protective earth.

    I don't know much but I have designed and built my own tube amps. The first thing that goes in is a dedicated protective earth (ie mains earth) to chassis bond with scraping the paint, toothed washers and crimped+soldered cable.
    You'd need two for the XP80 inside as there's a plastic seal around the lid if it was for earthing.

    Only issue is that pump is my XP80 runs water circulation (airlifts) and air. So I can't really simply unplug it and pull the XP80 apart without interrupting the pond. Although I've designed and worked with 640VDC as part of the tube amps I really don't want to open the XP80 live as I don't know the internal structures.
    found this the other day, says 'no need of grounding'.
    must be double insulated on the inside, and then cased in metal...

    240v, exterior rainproof use, metal case...
    i'd still earth it



 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.