Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
TuffX Glass
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oxted
    Posts
    122
    Thanks / Likes
    81

    Filter and Pipework contractor needed

    So have been let down i kid you not for the third time today, i am reaching out to the forum for any contacts that can finish off the construction of my pond, i need the drum, bio and bakki plumbing in and all the lines and valves connecting up.. My poor koi have been in a 16000l kids swimming pool for 18months now, so urgency is of the upmost, i cannot understand why folks are not turning up or finishing the jobs, might just fill it all in....



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks / Likes
    2152
    What you describe is basically standard practice in most trades.

    I (and many friends and family) have had exactly the same experience with so many different trades it's unbelievable e.g. builders, plumbers, tilers, carpenters, surveyors etc... Even good ones sourced through the likes of check a trade are similar.

    Having repeatedly experienced something similar on various jobs, I've come to the conclusion it's because most are self employed, rather than working for a large company. So they don't have anyone to have a go at them if they ignore emails, disappear for days or weeks half way through a job, bodge things up and disappear, mislead the client on what's included in a quote etc...

    So what you'd expect in most other industries I.e. basic customer service, or even just honesty (if a job is too small or they just can't fit you in) tends to go out the window.

    Mind you, when you do eventually find a decent tradesman, you want to hang on to their contact details.

    Hopefully you'll find someone soon though.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  3. Thanks davethefish1, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    3,633
    Thanks / Likes
    8033
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    What you describe is basically standard practice in most trades.

    I (and many friends and family) have had exactly the same experience with so many different trades it's unbelievable e.g. builders, plumbers, tilers, carpenters, surveyors etc... Even good ones sourced through the likes of check a trade are similar.

    Having repeatedly experienced something similar on various jobs, I've come to the conclusion it's because most are self employed, rather than working for a large company. So they don't have anyone to have a go at them if they ignore emails, disappear for days or weeks half way through a job, bodge things up and disappear, mislead the client on what's included in a quote etc...

    So what you'd expect in most other industries I.e. basic customer service, or even just honesty (if a job is too small or they just can't fit you in) tends to go out the window.

    Mind you, when you do eventually find a decent tradesman, you want to hang on to their contact details.

    Hopefully you'll find someone soon though.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    lol having previously been a self employed pipefitter for most of my life that made me smile...

  5. Thanks Twhitenosugar, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks / Likes
    2152
    Filter and Pipework contractor needed

    I thought there might be a few reactions from tradesmen.





    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  7. Thanks davethefish1, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    3,633
    Thanks / Likes
    8033
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Filter and Pipework contractor needed

    I thought there might be a few reactions from tradesmen.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    i can count on one hand the times i've not turned up for a job in my life...
    you pays your money, and you takes your choice... peanuts = monkeys

    what your looking for is Unicorns...
    highly qualified, dilligent, hard working people, who do top class work for peanuts.

  9. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i can count on one hand the times i've not turned up for a job in my life...
    you pays your money, and you takes your choice... peanuts = monkeys

    what your looking for is Unicorns...
    highly qualified, dilligent, hard working people, who do top class work for peanuts.
    I can also count on one hand the same thing but being a freak of nature and the result of a medical experiment that went wrong I have over 100 fingers on one hand but only 4 fingers and a thumb on the other. Brings a whole new meaning to changing hands at 99
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  11. Thanks davethefish1, Ajm, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    9,510
    Thanks / Likes
    18615
    Haha as a landscaper/tree surgeon gotta say the amount of Jobs I've had to finish and completely restarts for all of twns points is unreal . . Really ain't good for the small honest 1 man bands out there
    Luckily I only take on small jobs to work around my family but have a few other companies that we swop work about with . If its 2 small for them they pass my number on ect but its a massive shame there isn't more small companies willing to work together to make their lives and the more importantly the customers lives happier and easier and more straight forward

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  13. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks / Likes
    2152
    Re Dave's post... I've had issues before money is even mentioned!

    For example I had two draftsmen/architects (not sure on exact title) come to my house to do some drawings for a loft conversion. I gave both a summary of the job before hand to manage expectations, so they knew it's not a grand designs job.

    They both still turn up, both chat for two hours +, make all the right noises, say they'll contact me with a quote and then I hear nothing, despite chasing.

    If the job was too small (and they already knew roughly what was involved) why bother turn up? Just reply and say sorry we're too busy at the moment to deal with the enquiry?

    And I've learnt that going for the cheapest quote can often backfire on you. So tend to go for middle price, well reviewed people. But even that still doesn't dodge poor practice or customer service.

    For example I got 3 quotes to tile a bathroom. One was £400, one was £700 and the other £1600.

    How one quote can be quadruple another I don't know. Anyway, I go for the middle one, to avoid getting peanuts. He turns up 4 days in a row. In that time he laid 4 tiles and drew some pencil marks on the wall. After that I told him to not bother returning.

    Turns out he was leaving about 10minutes after I left the house for work.

    Another time I got another bathroom tiled and asked for a kitchen tile to be replaced to be included in the quote. Again I shop around, don't hear anything back from 90% of the people I contact, eventually get a few quotes, go for a reasonable price, not cheapest. The guy was really nice did a good job on the bathroom but as expected, f@#ks off without replacing the kitchen tile.

    Another example. I got the garden redone. Decided halfway through that I wanted edging blocks. I asked how much, if it's not to late to add them. I was told no problem, it'll be £500 extra. I said that was fine, go ahead. When the bill came it had increased to £1000. When I challenged him he said that £500 would not even cover their costs - but that was the price I was told? Why say £500 if that's not the price? And they were a really decent company, not the cheapest, good reviews and, that aside, I was happy with.

    I can go on with more tails and tribulations but you've probably glazed over by now lol.

    From my experience, id say most of the time it's either poor communication or a desire to smash out a job as quickly as possible and move on to the next one that is the root of most problems.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Twhitenosugar; 13-05-2022 at 04:38 PM.
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  15. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    As the old saying goes, it can take a long time to build up a good reputation but it can take seconds to wipe it out!
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  17. Thanks Andy1671, Ajm, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Andy1671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,124
    Thanks / Likes
    3227
    I have pmd you
    5000 Gallon Fibreglassed Pond With 54" x 27" Infinity Window
    BD300 Drum Filter
    Artesian 0.5hp - Aquadyne 4.4c Beadfilter - PS4 Protein Shower
    Badu Eco Touch - EP20 UV Sterilizer - ASHP - Venturi
    Hi Blo 60 - Medo 45 - Spindrifter Bottom Drain
    Wide Mouthed Skimmer

  19. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy1671 View Post
    I have pmd you
    Who me?

    If so I've not got it yet
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  21. Thanks Ajm, Andy1671 Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    9,510
    Thanks / Likes
    18615
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Who me?

    If so I've not got it yet
    Why would any one wanna pm you lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  23. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Twhitenosugar, Andy1671 Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Why would any one wanna pm you lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    ****ed if I know! Although you keep PMing me lol
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  25. Thanks Ajm, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    9,510
    Thanks / Likes
    18615
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    ****ed if I know! Although you keep PMing me lol
    Wrong person like a bum dial mate lol haha

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  27. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Wrong person like a bum dial mate lol haha

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    That explains the naked photos of yourself then
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  29. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    9,510
    Thanks / Likes
    18615
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    That explains the naked photos of yourself then
    No they were ment for your eyes only lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  31. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oxted
    Posts
    122
    Thanks / Likes
    81
    Thanks replied...

  33. #18
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    No they were ment for your eyes only lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I wish I could unsee those photos
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  34. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Oxted
    Posts
    122
    Thanks / Likes
    81
    Its tough, again i had four people quote and this is just to finish off, the pond is basically done as you can see from the picture of the fiberglassing on my other thread top job done by @kenalexander , this is the final part i have all the bits maybe need a few rubber boots, all the folks came out had a nice chat agreed the price, then either they dont turn up, or the one who was due to come yesterday, turned up said actually cannot do this and then left!!

  36. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Ajm, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #20
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,144
    Thanks / Likes
    17816
    Quote Originally Posted by forever View Post
    Its tough, again i had four people quote and this is just to finish off, the pond is basically done as you can see from the picture of the fiberglassing on my other thread top job done by @kenalexander , this is the final part i have all the bits maybe need a few rubber boots, all the folks came out had a nice chat agreed the price, then either they dont turn up, or the one who was due to come yesterday, turned up said actually cannot do this and then left!!
    Is it just the pipe work you need finishing or is it more to do with the construction being finished?

    Is Oxted the place in Surrey just inside the M25 off the A3?
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:38 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.