Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
TuffX Glass
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member Rank = Fry JTKB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    9
    Thanks / Likes
    6

    Advice on pond returns

    Would like some feedback on initial thoughts to pond return positions for my planned gravity fed pond. Dimension will be 5m x 3.3m, rectangular area is above ground and 1.2 deep, 2.4m circular area is where it drops to a total of 1.6m depth where the bottom drain will live with the 'upper' area slightly sloped towards the drop off.

    inital thoughts.JPG

    Filter house will be off to the top left, side with 2m window I don't want any visible pipework. Initial ideas are one return (green) in the deep area to create a slow vortex to the bottom drain. then three upper level returns (orange) to clear the floor and create a high level rotation for things to get brought into the vortex. Shower at the top right to help the upper clockwise rotation and clear the shelf in the direction of the circular vortex.

    Is this too many returns, not enough?, mostly in the planning stage although the deep hole has been excavated but can still position returns anywhere at this stage as haven't got to that part yet.



  2. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Kyusai NickK-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,034
    Thanks / Likes
    1156
    The pond return on the left may push surface matter away from the skimmer.
    1700 litres on 50 watts
    Eco Pond 2.0: 13,000 litres, 58W airlifts, 1300l anoxic, Solum 16. No pump.

  4. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Mike Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    561
    Thanks / Likes
    1045
    Quote Originally Posted by NickK-UK View Post
    The pond return on the left may push surface matter away from the skimmer.
    Yes I agree , much better if the return next to the skimmer was at a lower level. My own skimmer has a low level return at right angles to the skimmer which works well.
    1D0FF4E8-2DF4-4A43-9DE8-FD32A13AADC4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1kGal BD/Skim RDF/UV/k1 2.3kGal 2windows 2airBD/skim Sieve/Eazypod RDFcombi 3xVP/UV,ASHP

  6. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,082
    Thanks / Likes
    5016
    Quote Originally Posted by JTKB View Post
    Would like some feedback on initial thoughts to pond return positions for my planned gravity fed pond. Dimension will be 5m x 3.3m, rectangular area is above ground and 1.2 deep, 2.4m circular area is where it drops to a total of 1.6m depth where the bottom drain will live with the 'upper' area slightly sloped towards the drop off.

    inital thoughts.JPG

    Filter house will be off to the top left, side with 2m window I don't want any visible pipework. Initial ideas are one return (green) in the deep area to create a slow vortex to the bottom drain. then three upper level returns (orange) to clear the floor and create a high level rotation for things to get brought into the vortex. Shower at the top right to help the upper clockwise rotation and clear the shelf in the direction of the circular vortex.

    Is this too many returns, not enough?, mostly in the planning stage although the deep hole has been excavated but can still position returns anywhere at this stage as haven't got to that part yet.
    depends where you can hide them too,
    i'm not a fan of having them on show next to a window.

    how about next to the bakki in the corner, and move the bakki away from the corner a bit towards the middle?

    what i can't get my head around is why you are having a circular 'well' in the middle of the pond....
    just dig it 1.5m all over, you'll find the depth is worth it....



  8. #5
    Junior Member Rank = Fry JTKB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    9
    Thanks / Likes
    6
    It because the 'well' already exists and has a reinforced ring of blockwork already in place as it was going to be a sunken firepit (now relocated). This was my thought instead of having to break out all the existing blockwork and foundation, excavate more earth and re-block all the way down. I can just dig to foundation depth below top of the ring height and lay a new foundation around the ring at ground level for the upper layer to built up on. Thoughts were mainly around less excavating required and less blockwork needed.

  9. Thanks Graeme Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Mike Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    561
    Thanks / Likes
    1045
    Quote Originally Posted by JTKB View Post
    It because the 'well' already exists and has a reinforced ring of blockwork already in place as it was going to be a sunken firepit (now relocated). This was my thought instead of having to break out all the existing blockwork and foundation, excavate more earth and re-block all the way down. I can just dig to foundation depth below top of the ring height and lay a new foundation around the ring at ground level for the upper layer to built up on. Thoughts were mainly around less excavating required and less blockwork needed.
    Aaah that sounds sensible, as it is hard work digging & removing soil and brickwork at the best of times
    1kGal BD/Skim RDF/UV/k1 2.3kGal 2windows 2airBD/skim Sieve/Eazypod RDFcombi 3xVP/UV,ASHP

  11. Thanks dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.