Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 201 to 205 of 205
  1. #201
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    440
    Thanks / Likes
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bass View Post
    I must admit I am actually dreading starting up my new pond in the spring. I have been Lucky so far, on a knife edge growing on the Remaining 50+ fry from a batch of 100. For the past 2 years Cramped in with my original mixture of 15 koi & Orfe squeezed in together in my small 1000 gallon pond which has matured over the past 4 years

    The rest of my fittings finally arrived yesterday for the new pond
    Attachment 34506
    so I can start to connect up the filter system
    Nice selection of bits, I like pipes and valves


    Well, I am noit sure what is worse, starting in spring after a harsh winter or now when the weather is turning... both not great

  2. #202
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    440
    Thanks / Likes
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    You might be lucky if the weather stays warm for a while you might even get the system to start to mature a bit before the winter? Plus if you are going to get any leaks they can be dealt with before the spring as sometimes they can take a couple of weeks or so to show up.
    Not sure about Mike buts what I am going to do, in as as soon as possible <fingers crossed the crap weather stops soon - not stopped raining since Tuesday night>

  3. #203
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,688
    Thanks / Likes
    16199
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bass View Post
    I must admit I am actually dreading starting up my new pond in the spring. I have been Lucky so far, on a knife edge growing on the Remaining 50+ fry from a batch of 100. For the past 2 years Cramped in with my original mixture of 15 koi & Orfe squeezed in together in my small 1000 gallon pond which has matured over the past 4 years

    The rest of my fittings finally arrived yesterday for the new pond
    Attachment 34506
    so I can start to connect up the filter system
    when i started my first pond mike 26 years ago i started it in the winter. November time. no heating. in ground pond. i bought 15 rudd and 6 orfs.
    the idea being to use them as maturing fish for the filters. there more hardy. then get rid in the spring. and buy the koi i have still got the orfs and rudd . i got attached to them. and could nt let them go.
    it worked as well. come the spring. the pond was maturish.

  4. #204
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai Mike Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    345
    Thanks / Likes
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    when i started my first pond mike 26 years ago i started it in the winter. November time. no heating. in ground pond. i bought 15 rudd and 6 orfs.
    the idea being to use them as maturing fish for the filters. there more hardy. then get rid in the spring. and buy the koi i have still got the orfs and rudd . i got attached to them. and could nt let them go.
    it worked as well. come the spring. the pond was maturish.
    I will do water changes from my smaller pond into the larger pond to help keep the smaller pond clear & the larger one with some water That includes fish waste.

    on top of everything else Mr Heron swooped by yesterday about 6pm, I just happened to se him as he used the new pergola as a landing strip. Even though I scared him off within 5 minutes he circled back around and tried a further two occasions even landing on the nearby 6 foot brick wall. I hastily put up a second “ floating net “ which was positioned about 2 foot above the first net in a tent like structure using bungie straps.
    1kGal BD/Skim Drum/chamber/brush/mat/UV/k1 3.2kGal 2window 2airBD/skim Sieve/Drum&k1 alfa/anox/UV

  5. Thanks dbs, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #205
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    440
    Thanks / Likes
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bass View Post
    I will do water changes from my smaller pond into the larger pond to help keep the smaller pond clear & the larger one with some water That includes fish waste.

    on top of everything else Mr Heron swooped by yesterday about 6pm, I just happened to se him as he used the new pergola as a landing strip. Even though I scared him off within 5 minutes he circled back around and tried a further two occasions even landing on the nearby 6 foot brick wall. I hastily put up a second “ floating net “ which was positioned about 2 foot above the first net in a tent like structure using bungie straps.
    Damn birds, had one wiping out my little ones for years, tried all sorts then gave in to netting

 

 
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:12 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.