Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,197
    Thanks / Likes
    2960

    Shower spigot tray question

    Hi all
    This is a fairly specific question, and I am not entirely expecting anyone to know the answer.

    I am putting a shower on the new pond, which will probably be getting around 40,000lph or more over it.
    The thing is, I don't like the look or sound of showers, and don't want it losing heat in the winter. So I am going to stick the shower in the filter house and return to the pond via a spigot tray and underwater returns (probably 4" x2).

    Has anyone here got a spigot tray gravity return? What kind of flow can it cope with? If no one knows I am going to be a guinea pig



  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Hi all
    This is a fairly specific question, and I am not entirely expecting anyone to know the answer.

    I am putting a shower on the new pond, which will probably be getting around 40,000lph or more over it.
    The thing is, I don't like the look or sound of showers, and don't want it losing heat in the winter. So I am going to stick the shower in the filter house and return to the pond via a spigot tray and underwater returns (probably 4" x2).

    Has anyone here got a spigot tray gravity return? What kind of flow can it cope with? If no one knows I am going to be a guinea pig

    Amphibian has a similar return from his shower that is situated inside his adjoining filter shed.
    From memory he is pumping around 14000ltr/hr with a 4” return about 6” below the pond water level.
    One thing to bear in mind is the amount of air flow the shower will need to work at its optimal.

  3. #3
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,197
    Thanks / Likes
    2960
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    Amphibian has a similar return from his shower that is situated inside his adjoining filter shed.
    From memory he is pumping around 14000ltr/hr with a 4” return about 6” below the pond water level.
    One thing to bear in mind is the amount of air flow the shower will need to work at its optimal.
    Thanks Keith
    Any idea if this is the maximum the 4" return could give?
    I am going to fit an air brick and probably fan too in the filter house too since it will have humid things in there as well as a couple of air pumps. Would be very interested in any problems people have had doing this though.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Thanks Keith
    Any idea if this is the maximum the 4" return could give?
    I am going to fit an air brick and probably fan too in the filter house too since it will have humid things in there as well as a couple of air pumps. Would be very interested in any problems people have had doing this though.

    Not sure if that’s the maximum his tray would take but I guess it depends on the depth of the tray itself.
    I will give Amphibian a nudge so he can share his experience…..
    One things for sure you will defiantly need a fan. You must remember the steam coming from the filter shed at DaveJ grow & show day…..?

  5. #5
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,197
    Thanks / Likes
    2960
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    Not sure if that’s the maximum his tray would take but I guess it depends on the depth of the tray itself.
    I will give Amphibian a nudge so he can share his experience…..
    One things for sure you will defiantly need a fan. You must remember the steam coming from the filter shed at DaveJ grow & show day…..?
    Yeah
    I was going to fit an expelair to the filter house. Damp in there wouldn't be all that big an issue but as you say need enough oxygen in the pumped air.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    Yeah
    I was going to fit an expelair to the filter house. Damp in there wouldn't be all that big an issue but as you say need enough oxygen in the pumped air.

    Personally I chose to site my shower outside, put a house over the pond and swallow the heating cost

  7. #7
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,197
    Thanks / Likes
    2960
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    Personally I chose to site my shower outside, put a house over the pond and swallow the heating cost
    I did consider this- but it made a 20k difference to the cost and I would have needed planning permission

  8. #8
    For 40,000 Lph you will need a big shower! As Keith has said I put around 14,000lph over mine that's with the slide valve semi closed to stop the gurgling. I would have thought two should be sufficient as long as the returns are not to deep.
    Best speak with Mike Snaden of Yume koi he should know more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.