Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Koi breeding

  1. #1

    Koi breeding

    Hey guys, I have tried breeding this pair, female benigoi with a male doitsu kohaku. I have tried twice already. The first time I was still learning and I didnít change the water after spawning which I taught was the reason why all the eggs failed to hatch. I tried again last night and got eggs, changed the water and when I got home this afternoon it seems to me like all the eggs have failed again. Can any one offer a suggestion as to why I am having trouble getting the eggs to start developing?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post
    Hey guys, I have tried breeding this pair, female benigoi with a male doitsu kohaku. I have tried twice already. The first time I was still learning and I didnít change the water after spawning which I taught was the reason why all the eggs failed to hatch. I tried again last night and got eggs, changed the water and when I got home this afternoon it seems to me like all the eggs have failed again. Can any one offer a suggestion as to why I am having trouble getting the eggs to start developing?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine took around 4/5 days to hatch maybe water temp plays a part I'm not 100 percent sure, also I didn't change the water just gental air from stone away from the eggs, hope this helps a bit , good luck

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks skurban2, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffyrat View Post
    Mine took around 4/5 days to hatch maybe water temp plays a part I'm not 100 percent sure, also I didn't change the water just gental air from stone away from the eggs, hope this helps a bit , good luck

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. Iím from the Caribbean so temperature is not a big problem for me unless it gets too hot. Iím wondering if itís a fertility issue with the male.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks Stuffyrat, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post
    Thanks mate. Iím from the Caribbean so temperature is not a big problem for me unless it gets too hot. Iím wondering if itís a fertility issue with the male.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be patient Matey eggs looked dead and all of a sudden 400 babies , then The hard work starts

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks skurban2, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post
    Hey guys, I have tried breeding this pair, female benigoi with a male doitsu kohaku. I have tried twice already. The first time I was still learning and I didnít change the water after spawning which I taught was the reason why all the eggs failed to hatch. I tried again last night and got eggs, changed the water and when I got home this afternoon it seems to me like all the eggs have failed again. Can any one offer a suggestion as to why I am having trouble getting the eggs to start developing?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait for several days if the eggs fail to hatch next time try use 2 male and one female it's will increase the probability

    Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks john1, skurban2, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    5,144
    Thanks / Likes
    8318
    Thought it a bit late to be breeding unless in the Caribbean

    As above would try a different Male or 2 to 3 males unfertilised eggs go white which you may know allready.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on,what's the temps out there?
    John

  12. Thanks Amen, Ajm, skurban2, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Thought it a bit late to be breeding unless in the Caribbean

    As above would try a different Male or 2 to 3 males unfertilised eggs go white which you may know allready.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on,what's the temps out there?
    Where Iím from the temp is usually around 34 degrees C so it warm all year round


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Thanks freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,406
    Thanks / Likes
    10804
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post
    Where Iím from the temp is usually around 34 degrees C so it warm all year round


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lucky lucky man. Where abouts in the carribian are you. I love it out there.
    And I agree the more males the better

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks john1, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    5,144
    Thanks / Likes
    8318
    We are very jealous here Fred love the heat.
    John

  18. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Lucky lucky man. Where abouts in the carribian are you. I love it out there.
    And I agree the more males the better

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Iím in Trinidad and Tobago. Here is an update. All the eggs failed. Not even one survived. Iím using a 200 gallon tank with maybe 100gallons of water. I was trying to do water changes every 12 hrs and I didnít add any methylene blue to the tank. In the tank I had 2 air stones going. Any suggestions as to what may be going on? I notice that within the first day most all the eggs go white.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,406
    Thanks / Likes
    10804
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post
    Iím in Trinidad and Tobago. Here is an update. All the eggs failed. Not even one survived. Iím using a 200 gallon tank with maybe 100gallons of water. I was trying to do water changes every 12 hrs and I didnít add any methylene blue to the tank. In the tank I had 2 air stones going. Any suggestions as to what may be going on? I notice that within the first day most all the eggs go white.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spent 2 months in Tobago. Royal navy in the seventies.
    Google my koi breeding project part 2
    Hope that helps you. Mark gardner.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  21. Thanks skurban2 Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,406
    Thanks / Likes
    10804
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    We are very jealous here Fred love the heat.
    Same john. Love it

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  23. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Spent 2 months in Tobago. Royal navy in the seventies.
    Google my koi breeding project part 2
    Hope that helps you. Mark gardner.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


    Got these two males today to try next time



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,480
    Thanks / Likes
    5345
    Quote Originally Posted by skurban2 View Post


    Got these two males today to try next time



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good luck mate hope it pays off for you

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  26. Thanks skurban2, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,406
    Thanks / Likes
    10804
    Good luck mate

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  28. Thanks Ajm, skurban2 Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    koi eggs tend to be effected by fungus, so many home breeders use gentian violet in the water with the eggs in as it is a good but not over strong anti fungal treatment mate.

  30. Thanks john1, RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,498
    Thanks / Likes
    5616
    Eggs that are fertilised should be less susceptible to fungus.

    If the eggs are clear (and thus harder to see), they are good to go.

    If they are white, they're not fertilised and will fungus up quite quickly and become "fluffy".

    If you keep getting unfertilised eggs then it could be that the male is not fertile.

    Even in a really bad spawning, if the male is chasing the female you should get at least a few hundred clear eggs, if there's none after 24 hours then you likely have a problem with the male, or a big problem with the water.

    If the male isn't chasing the female, then of course the male could be female!


    P.S: I've not spawned Koi before but have spawned and hand spawned fancy goldfish many times, and I assume the processes are the same.

    I use Methylene blue to stop fungus, but not often, with hand spawning into good water you get such a high fertilization rate that treatments aren't usually necessary.
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 02-12-2019 at 03:25 PM.

  32. Thanks john1, freddyboy, vince Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #18
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    5,144
    Thanks / Likes
    8318
    Hi Vince good to see your back,hope your well and it's not a flying visit mate.
    John

  34. Thanks freddyboy, vince Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.