Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks / Likes
    3095
    Sorry to hear that Craig. He was so close to being moved as well.

    I may be wrong on specifics, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall sturgeon needing 8mg/l of Dissolved Oxygen, and i believe that once water goes past 28C, no matter how much aeration you put on, water is physically unable to hold enough DO to support Sturgeon.

    So to protect your other two in the current heatwave, it might be worth doing a largish water change once the pond passes 26C - providing the water you are putting in is much cooler.

    Or even buying a few bags of ice from a supermarket and dumping them in the pond might do the trick, along with some temporary shade.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Sorry to hear that Craig. He was so close to being moved as well.

    I may be wrong on specifics, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall sturgeon needing 8mg/l of Dissolved Oxygen, and i believe that once water goes past 28C, no matter how much aeration you put on, water is physically unable to hold enough DO to support Sturgeon.

    So to protect your other two in the current heatwave, it might be worth doing a largish water change once the pond passes 26C - providing the water you are putting in is much cooler.

    Or even buying a few bags of ice from a supermarket and dumping them in the pond might do the trick, along with some temporary shade.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice as I didn’t know that about water not holding oxygen above 28.
    As they are in a temp holding pond at the moment I have been able to completely cover the pool for the last few weeks with sheets and old duvet covers but yesterday I put up a white PVC sail that I had made for my pond to complete shade the pool and removed some of the sheets to improve airflow on the surface of the water. I did put a couple of bags of ice in yesterday and did a large water change whilst vacuuming the water out.

  3. Thanks Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #23
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,123
    Thanks / Likes
    17023
    sorry to hear of the loss mate.

  5. Thanks anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #24
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks / Likes
    3095
    Here you go, manky Sanke has a chart to explain. I hope he doesn't mind me directing you to his site

    Questions Answered

    Note that the figures given are at 100% saturation levels for the given temp. So probably best to go for a slightly lower temp, on the basis that you are probably not at 100% saturation level given that other fish and the filters will be consuming O2.

    So for the sturgeon, it's probably best to keep the pool under 25C if you can.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  7. Thanks -Craig-, Manky Sanke, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Here you go, manky Sanke has a chart to explain. I hope he doesn't mind me directing you to his site

    Questions Answered

    Note that the figures given are at 100% saturation levels for the given temp. So probably best to go for a slightly lower temp, on the basis that you are probably not at 100% saturation level given that other fish and the filters will be consuming O2.

    So for the sturgeon, it's probably best to keep the pool under 25C if you can.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    many thanks for this I will have a good read and see what I need to do thanks again Craig.

  9. Thanks freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #26
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks / Likes
    3638
    Oh, Gutted !!!! what a shame Craig and he had a lovely new home to go to as well, life can be c--p at times can't it .
    When are you hoping to move the other two ? hope it goes well and cools down we've just had a storm come through, and it's not made one bit of difference, still hot humid and uncomfortable

  11. Thanks -Craig-, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #27
    Thanks Anne. Yes absolutely gutted especially seeing as how he was going to such a great home. When I took him out he was 47 inches long and 7 inches high at his deepest part..I can’t believe we all get so upset over our pets. He actually hand fed on mussels and as I said before we have had him since he was 10 inches so sad.

  13. Thanks freddyboy, anne, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #28
    So sad Craig, sorry we couldn't have sorted it out sooner. I will look after them in there new home when weather is a bit better for there journey...... Hopefully very soon!!

  15. Thanks -Craig-, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #29
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai g mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,488
    Thanks / Likes
    2731
    How sad . Hopefully the others will be ok/

  17. Thanks -Craig-, freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #30
    Thanks all for the kind words. He really was the show stopper in my pond and everyone that came to our house was in awe of him. He truly was a magnificent example. Since we goT him he had grown 37 inches and was such a friendly fish he used to come up for a belly rub and to eat mussels EEE83DCA-2D6B-4446-BE30-903CF647BC4A.jpgD64E8DB0-8B48-4220-A717-B99DD724F115.jpg51541866-8B41-4D22-8207-73416B1005BB.jpg

  19. #31
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks / Likes
    3638
    [QUOTE=-Craig-;346738].I can’t believe we all get so upset over our pets. He actually hand fed on mussels and as I said before we have had him since he was 10 inches ...................It's simple Craig, it's because we care and love them as part of our family, and it's just devastating to loose them. I'm off to shed a tear now.......bye bye.........

  20. Thanks freddyboy, -Craig- Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #32
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,507
    Thanks / Likes
    3638
    I feel worse now after seeing his photo............................Handsome chap............

  22. Thanks freddyboy, -Craig- Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #33
    Wow Craig, he was a big lad/lass......such a shame. Gutted the show stopper will not be in my pond...... I will do the best for the other 2 stunners

  24. Thanks anne, freddyboy, -Craig-, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #34
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks / Likes
    3095
    Yeah he is a beast! Such a shame, but going by the size of him you'd clearly cared for him.

    Hope you are able to move the other two on without any issues.



    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  26. Thanks freddyboy, -Craig- Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Yeah he is a beast! Such a shame, but going by the size of him you'd clearly cared for him.

    Hope you are able to move the other two on without any issues.



    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Yes he was well fed. Bit like his owner really . Great news on the other two as Mabbs got them safely back to his pond (10000 gallons on a slope) and they seem to have settled in nicely although they must be thinking they have been put back into the wild after my 3000 gallon pond . Was gutting to see them go but at least now they will have a forever home where they can grow freely.

  28. Thanks smartin, freddyboy, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #36
    Thanks Craig for Dave and Clause, they have settled in nicely. Will keep you updated on there progress

  30. Thanks smartin, freddyboy, -Craig-, laulau Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #37
    Are these still available I can re house and am in eastbourne

  32. #38
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion Alburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Dover Kent
    Posts
    1,517
    Thanks / Likes
    2070
    ...4 years ago!
    2660 Gallons. 4" Bottom Drain and Skimmer. Draco Solum 16 Drum. Anoxic Filtration. Air lift returns.

  33. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Aday11 View Post
    Are these still available I can re house and am in eastbourne

    sorry mate as said this is an old post from 2020.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:58 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2024 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.