Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 76 of 76
  1. #61
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    9,723
    Thanks / Likes
    18952
    Fingers crossed buddy Can anyone identify these being picked up on scrapes?

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  2. Thanks Maddog1, davethefish1, RS2OOO, Mikeh83, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #62
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,359
    Thanks / Likes
    18098
    Let's hope you've got it sorted now and that's the last of your issues this year
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  4. Thanks Ajm, Maddog1, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #63
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai g mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks / Likes
    2186
    That's some good news for you at last. Hope that's the end of the problem
    7500 litres
    Filtreau combi with uv.
    Some koi

  6. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #64
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks / Likes
    11506
    Koi are continuing to improve thank goodness.

    All their growing season energy will now be spent healing the various small flashing injuries etc.

    Still at a total loss as to what kicked all this off, and have been wondering if temp swings made things worse as pond finally reached 18C, then dropped back to 13C at end of may.

    Will definitely finish the course of Fluke-M just to cover off that possibility.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 15-06-2022 at 09:22 AM.

  8. #65
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,437
    Thanks / Likes
    2273
    Glad to hear your fish are on the mend.

    I'm currently feeling your pain. I treated with the lernex pro that I bought off you to kill off the flukes. I came back from a weekend away and my favourite fish has a big red raised area on one flank and raised scales. Can anyone identify these being picked up on scrapes?

    That fish is now in salt and acriflavin in a tank. Can anyone identify these being picked up on scrapes?

    These fish really are hard work to keep well.



    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  9. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #66
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks / Likes
    11506
    To update on this.....

    As the Koi started recovering, one Koi, the Chag, hadn't really been clamped on the bottom like the rest, but then suddenly as the others started improving, the Chag went down, clamped on bottom just like the others had been, and didn't move for 3 days.

    At the end of the 3rd day it came up for food (and I scraped it again while hand feeding - yet another clean scrape) then she went back and clamped on the bottom. over the next couple of days she improved and is back up and about again with all the rest.

    Basically identical behavior to the others, but delayed by a few days.

    And as I think about it the first ones to have crazy flashing / jumping were the first to clamp up, and the first to recover.

    Experience still shouts out parasites - but how can you do 13 scrapes and not find a single one if they are there.

    So whilst still none-the wiser as to the cause, the pattern has got me wondering if there was some kind of virus going on, only what kind of virus would cause flashing and jumping?

    There is still the odd flash in the pond, but nothing like there was before, but regardless, I'm still desperate to know what is/was behind it all.


    I did complete the shotgun course of Fluke-M, but have to say there have been no indications the Fluke-M fixed the problem, particularly as I was already on second dose by the time the Chag went down.
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 20-06-2022 at 10:46 AM.

  11. Thanks samp09, Maddog1, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #67
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion samp09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    2,653
    Thanks / Likes
    5376
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    To update on this.....

    As the Koi started recovering, one Koi, the Chag, hadn't really been clamped on the bottom like the rest, but then suddenly as the others started improving, the Chag went down, clamped on bottom just like the others had been, and didn't move for 3 days.

    At the end of the 3rd day it came up for food (and I scraped it again while hand feeding - yet another clean scrape) then she went back and clamped on the bottom. over the next couple of days she improved and is back up and about again with all the rest.

    Basically identical behavior to the others, but delayed by a few days.

    And as I think about it the first ones to have crazy flashing / jumping were the first to clamp up, and the first to recover.

    Experience still shouts out parasites - but how can you do 13 scrapes and not find a single one if they are there.

    So whilst still none-the wiser as to the cause, the pattern has got me wondering if there was some kind of virus going on, only what kind of virus would cause flashing and jumping?

    There is still the odd flash in the pond, but nothing like there was before, but regardless, I'm still desperate to know what is/was behind it all.


    I did complete the shotgun course of Fluke-M, but have to say there have been no indications the Fluke-M fixed the problem, particularly as I was already on second dose by the time the Chag went down.
    Very odd Steve, and sounds like the only way to find out would involve a set of lab tests from the water and fish too.

  13. Thanks Maddog1, RS2OOO, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #68
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks / Likes
    681
    Just read your thread , Steve. What a nightmare . Hopefully you're coming out of it, now .
    As you might know from one of my threads , I'm suffering from a similar issue . Don't think mines as severe , but I've had it for longer.
    Tried all the same things as you - even spoke to Paula and had pretty much the same conversation .
    Will be testing for copper and nitrates as soon as the kits arrive . Other than that, can only think I'm missing a parasite, so thinking of trying similar to yourself and adding a fluke treatment. Other than that - totally stumped .

  15. #69
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks / Likes
    11506
    Another kind of update having spoken to various dealers and knowledgeable people, plus some anecdotal evidence.....

    2 Dealers have said koi don't suddenly recover from parasites without treatment being administered and therefore do not believe parasites were present.

    Another was convinced this must be Chloramine related and my DPD4 tablets were giving incorrect readings. I'm doubtful on this because the tests I did clearly showed chlorine in tap water but not in the pond.

    And finally the anecdotal stuff.
    Went to descale the kettle the other day and it had a funny smell to it.
    Wife left her job on Tuesday and got 4 bouquets of flowers, all sourced from different places. They were placed in vases on various window cills etc around the house. This morning, less than 2 days later, they are all dying and she thinks it must be the water.

    So, even though its far from conclusive, a supply water contamination issue may still be a possibility. I'm going to ring them up and see if any light can be shed.

    All koi are currently looking healthy and feeding, just one left with raised scales that were very angry looking and after another topical treatment are starting to look less angry, but still a little way to go before fully healed.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks samp09, Maddog1, davethefish1, Frimley Koi keeper, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #70
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion samp09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    2,653
    Thanks / Likes
    5376
    Hopefully some answers can be given. Do you run through a big blue or anything?

  18. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Another kind of update having spoken to various dealers and knowledgeable people, plus some anecdotal evidence.....

    2 Dealers have said koi don't suddenly recover from parasites without treatment being administered and therefore do not believe parasites were present.

    Another was convinced this must be Chloramine related and my DPD4 tablets were giving incorrect readings. I'm doubtful on this because the tests I did clearly showed chlorine in tap water but not in the pond.

    And finally the anecdotal stuff.
    Went to descale the kettle the other day and it had a funny smell to it.
    Wife left her job on Tuesday and got 4 bouquets of flowers, all sourced from different places. They were placed in vases on various window cills etc around the house. This morning, less than 2 days later, they are all dying and she thinks it must be the water.

    So, even though its far from conclusive, a supply water contamination issue may still be a possibility. I'm going to ring them up and see if any light can be shed.

    All koi are currently looking healthy and feeding, just one left with raised scales that were very angry looking and after another topical treatment are starting to look less angry, but still a little way to go before fully healed.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Hi Mate/ Glad to ear thing's are improving.

  20. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #72
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,359
    Thanks / Likes
    18098
    Sounds like you are definitely getting some where now. Good update too
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  22. Thanks Maddog1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #73
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    3,917
    Thanks / Likes
    8513
    i'm glad to see things have turned a corner and are improving mate

    i know my tap water quality has been degrading terribly in the last couple of years, with 3 times the chlorine and god knows what else....
    hence my need for 3 x big blues.

  24. Thanks Maddog1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #74
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai g mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks / Likes
    2186
    Glad to hear that things are improving RS. That's interesting, re the flowers dying.
    7500 litres
    Filtreau combi with uv.
    Some koi

  26. Thanks RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #75
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks / Likes
    11506
    Quote Originally Posted by samp09 View Post
    Hopefully some answers can be given. Do you run through a big blue or anything?
    Run through a jumbo 3 pod.

    Replaced all 3 cartridges towards the beginning of this saga just to remove the possibility of a dodgy bacteria infestation in one of the cartridges.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  28. #76
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks / Likes
    11506
    Quote Originally Posted by g mac View Post
    Glad to hear that things are improving RS. That's interesting, re the flowers dying.
    Yeah that part is interesting. They were different types of flowers in each vase and one had lillies in it that were still buds and the wife was saying they look so bad she thinks they won't open. They always open normally, even when kept in a relatively dark corner but these are on a bright window sill.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:08 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.