Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Food spitting

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694

    Food spitting

    One and only one of my fish is spitting his food for last 3 days. He is swimming happy, fins out gliding around all day, comes straight up for food but then after a few seconds spits it out. Did a scrape today absolutely nothing there. Gills working as normal, other than spitting perfectly normal behaviour from a happy fish.
    I'm completely stumped why he is spitting,
    Has he got tooth ache lol.
    Any ideas why he would be doing this?

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk



  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    One and only one of my fish is spitting his food for last 3 days. He is swimming happy, fins out gliding around all day, comes straight up for food but then after a few seconds spits it out. Did a scrape today absolutely nothing there. Gills working as normal, other than spitting perfectly normal behaviour from a happy fish.
    I'm completely stumped why he is spitting,
    Has he got tooth ache lol.
    Any ideas why he would be doing this?

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk
    I had one like that a few weeks ago, he did have flukes on him that Iíd treated but for a week he would spit it out, allís good nowFood spitting


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Thanks Big nige, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Tbh my first thought was flukes having had a problem last year but the body and fill scrape showed nothing at all, that's what is puzzling

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  5. Thanks dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    I often get this and at this time of year. Been happening recently but only on some days. Water parameters normal including chlorine and no parasites found. ??? I have yet to determine a root cause.

  7. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5

    Food spitting

    I tried mine on peas yesterday. The bigger fish gobbled up 5 or 6 at a time and then spat the lot out. They kept eating and spitting. I think they all ended up in the filter.

    No problems with the usual pellets and mealworms, I just thought they might like some variety.

    P.S. They were Birdseye, none of your cheap junk!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Thanks protalon Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,345
    Thanks / Likes
    5117
    They actually will do this when trying to shed their pharyngeal tooth. It only goes on for a short time if it’s that though (few days max).

  11. Thanks Big nige, g mac Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    They actually will do this when trying to shed their pharyngeal tooth. It only goes on for a short time if itís that though (few days max).
    Could be itFood spitting today he ate some and spat some, better than last few days so hopefully be all back to normal soon, fingers crossed. Thanks feline

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  13. #8
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,251
    Thanks / Likes
    16489
    Nige what's your Nitrite level like as I had a similar issue a couple of years ago and just happened to read a thread where someone had the same issue which turned out to be Nitrite related so I checked mine and yes I had a higher than expected Nitrite level.

    Just a thought more than anything there really
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  14. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Nige what's your Nitrite level like as I had a similar issue a couple of years ago and just happened to read a thread where someone had the same issue which turned out to be Nitrite related so I checked mine and yes I had a higher than expected Nitrite level.

    Just a thought more than anything there really
    Funnily enough I have just done water test ( water change due tomorrow) and it's less than 0.05 so pretty good, been doing test daily since he started spitting just in case it was water related but all ok other than PH which is a little higher than I want at 8.8 but water butts full now so adding filtered rain water to water change tomorrow should lower it a bit

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,251
    Thanks / Likes
    16489
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    Funnily enough I have just done water test ( water change due tomorrow) and it's less than 0.05 so pretty good, been doing test daily since he started spitting just in case it was water related but all ok other than PH which is a little higher than I want at 8.8 but water butts full now so adding filtered rain water to water change tomorrow should lower it a bit

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk
    You wrote less than 3.0 on your first attempt lol I thought you had got mixed up with Nitrate as 3.0 for Nitrite would be well high

    As you say your pH is a bit high but what is it normally? They don't like sudden changes do they so could be worth looking at all recent results?

    What do you test for just out of interest?

    I test every day or every other day for -

    Chlorine (as I'm currently doing small water changes)
    Ammonia
    PH
    Nitrite
    O2
    Temp
    Salt
    KH (was only testing this once a week but now test each time)

    Each weekend I test for the same listed above plus these -

    GH
    Nitrate
    Phosphate
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  18. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Yes your right, I got nitrate and nitrite mixed ( been a long day lol)
    Normally test
    Chlorine
    ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Ph
    O2
    Salinity if I have salted which is rare nowdays
    Don't bother to much ( every other week and always same result) with kh or GH as I know our water is really hard and buffering isn't going to be a issue

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  20. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #12
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,251
    Thanks / Likes
    16489
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    Yes your right, I got nitrate and nitrite mixed ( been a long day lol)
    Normally test
    Chlorine
    ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Ph
    O2
    Salinity if I have salted which is rare nowdays
    Don't bother to much ( every other week and always same result) with kh or GH as I know our water is really hard and buffering isn't going to be a issue

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk
    Long day lol

    I've had one of those too, the bugger started at 7 am this morning

    I am only testing my QT system that regularly as it's just starting to mature. My KH and GH is also normally quite high although the KH has dropped slightly recently.

    Just tested the QT system and for the first time in over 2 weeks the Ammonia level is back down to 0

    Just need the Nitrite to drop now! More water changes I guess.
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  22. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Long day lol

    I've had one of those too, the bugger started at 7 am this morning

    I am only testing my QT system that regularly as it's just starting to mature. My KH and GH is also normally quite high although the KH has dropped slightly recently.

    Just tested the QT system and for the first time in over 2 weeks the Ammonia level is back down to 0

    Just need the Nitrite to drop now! More water changes I guess.
    Oh to be a sparky, 7am luxury lol I was out the door at 5.30 for a meeting in Luton at 9.00. fortunately doesn't happen often. Think it's time my boys started taking on some of this stuffFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting but I love it really lol

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,251
    Thanks / Likes
    16489
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    Oh to be a sparky, 7am luxury lol I was out the door at 5.30 for a meeting in Luton at 9.00. fortunately doesn't happen often. Think it's time my boys started taking on some of this stuffFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting but I love it really lol

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk
    Oh to be a Sparky lol

    You haven't got the bladder for it as we get through so much tea in a day it's no wonder we have hose pipe bans in the summer lol
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  26. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    383
    Thanks / Likes
    694
    Food spittingFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting your right, I haven't Food spittingFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  28. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,251
    Thanks / Likes
    16489
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    Food spittingFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting your right, I haven't Food spittingFood spittingFood spittingFood spitting

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk
    Well it's a Friday so gotta have a bit of a laugh haven't you
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  30. Thanks Big nige Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,486
    Thanks / Likes
    10262
    Here you go....

    Koi spitting food videos!

    Don't ask me the cause, have never got to the bottom of it, but it stops if I add a dose of pond detox formula, and it also stops if I move a koi on to another pond.....

    https://youtu.be/v7FUc55xxYo

    And another....

    https://youtu.be/9NKBN94QtG0

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

  32. Thanks Big nige, samp09 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.