Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Koi advice

  1. #1

    Koi advice

    Hi can anyone give me some advice on the picture of my koi please in terms of any ideas what this may be. I am awaiting delivery of a microscope...water parameters all ok. Pond over 1 year old and heated to an average of 12 degrees through winter.276FA06D-F270-43BC-8185-3E92A3B34996.jpg276FA06D-F270-43BC-8185-3E92A3B34996.jpg



  2. #2
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,214
    Thanks / Likes
    3082
    It looks very much like carp pox...…..dose it look like someone's dripped candle wax on it ? if it does
    then it probably is carp pox, which is harmless in most cases and best left alone...…
    See what the others have to say though...…..I am not an expert by any means

  3. Thanks Brecksderby1, Ajm, smartin, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Hi Anne thanks for the reply no doesn't look like wax looks like a fungus.

  5. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,214
    Thanks / Likes
    3082
    Told you I wasn't an expert ......but the dorsal fin looks waxy to me in the photo. Hang about because somebody will
    be along to give you advice on treatment etc …………...Good luck with it

  7. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    Hi,

    its difficult to see for sure on the photos unfortunately.

    is the ‘fungus’ fluffy?

    How is the fish behaving? Sulking, flicking / flashing, jumping??

    How are the other fish?

    Cheers

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by Brecksderby1 View Post
    Hi can anyone give me some advice on the picture of my koi please in terms of any ideas what this may be. I am awaiting delivery of a microscope...water parameters all ok. Pond over 1 year old and heated to an average of 12 degrees through winter.276FA06D-F270-43BC-8185-3E92A3B34996.jpg276FA06D-F270-43BC-8185-3E92A3B34996.jpg
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  9. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Hi the fish is flashing intermittently. I have 12 koi all seem ok and no signs of similar issue. I do have some that look like they have white spots on there tails .this one not sulking and eating at the moment but appearance looks not healthy.

  11. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    Hi,

    is the fungus fluffy? If so, it may be worth anaesthetising the koi, gently removing and treating the affected areas with Malachite.

    The white spots you mention could be Carp pox as mentioned by Anne earlier in the thread.

    When does the scope arrive? It may be best to await and scrape which may help diagnose the reason(s) for the flashing etc...

    Apologies I don’t know how experienced you are, so not sure if you have those materials and understanding how to undertake?

    Happy to chat through over the Easter weekend if that helps.

    Cheers

    Gaz




    Quote Originally Posted by Brecksderby1 View Post
    Hi the fish is flashing intermittently. I have 12 koi all seem ok and no signs of similar issue. I do have some that look like they have white spots on there tails .this one not sulking and eating at the moment but appearance looks not healthy.
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  13. Thanks markini5, smartin, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brecksderby1 View Post
    Hi the fish is flashing intermittently. I have 12 koi all seem ok and no signs of similar issue. I do have some that look like they have white spots on there tails .this one not sulking and eating at the moment but appearance looks not healthy.
    Hi, its carp pox will clear as temps increase its worth doing scrapes to find any parasites especially if the fish are rubbing, flicking , tucking in pectoral fins or generally not behaving as they should.

  15. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks / Likes
    2717
    Think Anne is on the money it looks like a bad case of carp pox to me but again no expert on this either, the fins look just like carp pox but heavily infected with it, going by the other photos we have seen with Mr Topiarty it looks similar...... so difficult, Gazkoi any idea what carppox looks like under the scope ? is it a live bacteria / parasite that you will physically be able to see ??
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  17. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    Hi,

    I’m not sure carp pox will be seen on a scope. It is a virus opposed to a parasite, showing itself as waxy white lumps on the koi body and/or fins. These should be left alone rather than broken for any microscopic identification.

    Cheers

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Think Anne is on the money it looks like a bad case of carp pox to me but again no expert on this either, the fins look just like carp pox but heavily infected with it, going by the other photos we have seen with Mr Topiarty it looks similar...... so difficult, Gazkoi any idea what carppox looks like under the scope ? is it a live bacteria / parasite that you will physically be able to see ??
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  19. Thanks smartin, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks / Likes
    2717
    How can you get confirmation on this problem, assume it would have to be a scrape and then hand over the sample to a fish biologist or someone i guess ???
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  21. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks / Likes
    8906
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    How can you get confirmation on this problem, assume it would have to be a scrape and then hand over the sample to a fish biologist or someone i guess ???
    If its scaped you will end up infecting the whole pond with It and also could end up letting a health damaging infection is where as pox is just unsightly. All only to my understanding tho . But this explains a lot

    Carp pox

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  23. Thanks freddyboy, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    Thanks for all your advice it's much appreciated..

  25. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,496
    Thanks / Likes
    14593
    Higher temperatures help carp pox.
    Do you have a qt.
    15 to 16c its immune system will kick in
    To help fight it off.
    I have put fish with pox in heat up to 22c
    In my qt. With 0.3 salt. And a few weeks later it has gone.
    Maybe I was lucky.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  27. Thanks smartin, markini5 Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Hi Fred thank you for your advice unfortunately I don't have a qt. I have given him a salt bath hopefully that was ok to do I may do again in a couple of days temp of pond 18 as I'm using an inline heater so hopefully I will see some improvement... I have noticed also that some of my other fish have now signs of round wax objects mainly on there tails... I'm assuming this is the same thing?

  29. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,496
    Thanks / Likes
    14593
    Quote Originally Posted by Brecksderby1 View Post
    Hi Fred thank you for your advice unfortunately I don't have a qt. I have given him a salt bath hopefully that was ok to do I may do again in a couple of days temp of pond 18 as I'm using an inline heater so hopefully I will see some improvement... I have noticed also that some of my other fish have now signs of round wax objects mainly on there tails... I'm assuming this is the same thing?
    If its white and waxy looking more then likely its carp pox.
    It's all to do with immune system lol.
    Plus over time the koi will build it's own immune defences. With age.
    That's why heat helps lol.
    There is no cure for it. And don t try to remove it. As in trying to scrape it off. Or it could spread. To that fish and other fish.
    I had 2 fish last winter with carp pox
    This year they have nt got it.
    Patience and time lol.
    Unless it gets really really bad like one on here the other day.
    Then get in touch with paula Reynolds
    Home

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  31. Thanks Ajm, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    I agree entirely

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    If its scaped you will end up infecting the whole pond with It and also could end up letting a health damaging infection is where as pox is just unsightly. All only to my understanding tho . But this explains a lot

    Carp pox

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  33. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    Only real way to tell from a biologist would be to Elisa test or PCR year the koi. Both would mean the koi would not be returning....

    Gaz

    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    How can you get confirmation on this problem, assume it would have to be a scrape and then hand over the sample to a fish biologist or someone i guess ???
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  35. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  36. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,186
    Thanks / Likes
    2717
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazkoi View Post
    Only real way to tell from a biologist would be to Elisa test or PCR year the koi. Both would mean the koi would not be returning....

    Gaz
    Thanks for answering my original question,.... i was not saying too scrape but wondered if this would be the only way to get confirmation ie send a sample to a biologist, cheers Steve.
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  37. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  38. #20
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    739
    Thanks / Likes
    1556
    You’re welcome mate. The amount of spelling mistakes this phone texts on here is incredible

    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Thanks for answering my original question,.... i was not saying too scrape but wondered if this would be the only way to get confirmation ie send a sample to a biologist, cheers Steve.
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Ecoís, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  39. Thanks smartin, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:46 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.