Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1. #21
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks / Likes
    12154
    Had it for a while in the front garden looks better in the flesh and leaves arnt fully out yet.
    Had a similar one in the back garden but sadly died for some reason,do they need erocashious soil ? (If that's how you spell it ) and should I be feeding it now ?
    John

  2. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1, arceye Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #22
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks / Likes
    2877
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Had it for a while in the front garden looks better in the flesh and leaves arnt fully out yet.
    Had a similar one in the back garden but sadly died for some reason,do they need erocashious soil ? (If that's how you spell it ) and should I be feeding it now ?
    Ideally they like soil with a ph around 5-6
    not as low as ericaceous plants at 4,
    but will fine from 4-7
    Prefering soil high in organic matter like composted leaf and bark chippings.
    Most often its sun and wind exposure that exhaust the trees energy reserves.
    and once depleted then quickly die for no apparent reason.

    You can feed but with a low strength NPK fertiliser as they dont like strong fertilisers.
    They also make specific Acer fertilisers.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N7RDM...7DVRTR2AMCFN43
    Last edited by davethefish1; 03-05-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    The Solution to Pollution is Dilution

  4. Thanks Ajm, arceye, john1, hippo Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #23
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    954
    Thanks / Likes
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    Ideally they like soil with a ph around 5-6
    not as low as ericaceous plants at 4,
    but will fine from 4-7
    Prefering soil high in organic matter like composted leaf and bark chippings.
    Most often its sun and wind exposure that exhaust the trees energy reserves.
    and once depleted then quickly die for no apparent reason.

    You can feed but with a low strength NPK fertiliser as they dont like strong fertilisers.
    They also make specific Acer fertilisers.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N7RDM...7DVRTR2AMCFN43
    Cheers for the info , Dave .

    Somebody at a local garden centre told me that also , they dont like being over-watered . Probably a mistake Ive made , previously . Could be some truth in it , because Ive noticed , some really nice ones in gardens belonging to people who dont tend to bother with them , much .

    My neighbour has an absolute stunner of a red acer , surrounded by broken fence panels mattresses and discarded kids toys - absolutely no justice in that
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  6. Thanks davethefish1, Ajm, arceye Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #24
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks / Likes
    2877
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    Cheers for the info , Dave .

    Somebody at a local garden centre told me that also , they dont like being over-watered . Probably a mistake Ive made , previously . Could be some truth in it , because Ive noticed , some really nice ones in gardens belonging to people who dont tend to bother with them , much .

    My neighbour has an absolute stunner of a red acer , surrounded by broken fence panels mattresses and discarded kids toys - absolutely no justice in that
    some of them are as tough as old boots....no rhyme or reason to it though...
    this one was stuck in the ground behind the missus greenhouse for 10 years,
    before we revamped the garden...a bit of tlc and it came right back...

    Hurray it's Spring!...well kind of...-20200530_094340-2-jpg
    The Solution to Pollution is Dilution

  8. Thanks Ajm, hippo, arceye, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.