Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Epsom salt bath dosage

    please what is dosage or % for a epsom salt bath ...not the pdv salt



  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by sfkoi View Post
    please what is dosage or % for a epsom salt bath ...not the pdv salt
    Why an Epsom salt bath? ,correct me if I'm wrong that's magnesium what are you treating for?

  3. #3
    swim bladder issue

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks / Likes
    13204
    Never used Epsom salt personally and don't know a great deal about it, but reading up on a veterinary site and it said:

    Is Epsom salt good for pond fish?
    Epsom salt is technically magnesium sulfate (magnesium + sulfur + oxygen). It does not share the beneficial properties of sodium chloride and should not be used as a substitute. It does not hurt fish, but it isn't good for them at high or long doses.

    I would be interested to know Manky's take on the use of Epsom salts for Koi if he's around and reading this....







  5. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai KiOgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Bexhill-on-Sea
    Posts
    313
    Thanks / Likes
    456
    A long long time ago it was said to feed them Peas for swim bladder troubles, I don't know the technical or chemical reason but maybe worth a try.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,994
    Thanks / Likes
    11997
    i had this issue with a fish a year ago,
    lots of things on the internet about feeding peas for constipation.
    where short term over feeding or wrong food types fed at low temperature,
    caused intestinal blockage preventing inflation of the swimbladder.

    i did find a paper online that was written by a japanese university looking into the issue of 'sinking disease'.
    it found in 2 ourt of 3 cases it was perforation damage or a fluid filled swim bladder due to parasitic and/or secondary bacterial infection, that couldn't in advanced cases be cured.
    but if caught early enough in some cases could be cured with antibiotics.

    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article.../3/56_107/_pdf
    Last edited by davethefish1; 18-03-2023 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks / Likes
    13204
    Shelled Peas are basically the fish equivilent of prunes used for the purpose of clearing constipation which in turn can relieve pressure against the swim bladder.

    It is rare constipation turns out to be the actual cause of the swim bladder issue, but its a very easy, healthy and safe way to rule it out.

  8. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    5,994
    Thanks / Likes
    11997
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Shelled Peas are basically the fish equivilent of prunes used for the purpose of clearing constipation which in turn can relieve pressure against the swim bladder.

    It is rare constipation turns out to be the actual cause of the swim bladder issue, but its a very easy, healthy and safe way to rule it out.

    i think there are genetic issues as well, as with most 'pedigree' animals,
    breeding compromises are made based on looks over health, disease resistance, and constitution ect...

    my shiro struggles with boyancy a bit in spring due to carrying eggs, but once she's spawned is absolutley fine.

    i think if you could compare swim bladders of Bred Koi v's their wild counterparts, there would be some differences and weaknesses...

  10. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    5,957
    Thanks / Likes
    13204
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i think there are genetic issues as well, as with most 'pedigree' animals,
    breeding compromises are made based on looks over health, disease resistance, and constitution ect...

    my shiro struggles with boyancy a bit in spring due to carrying eggs, but once she's spawned is absolutley fine.

    i think if you could compare swim bladders of Bred Koi v's their wild counterparts, there would be some differences and weaknesses...
    Absolutely, and it is the dominent reason why I jacked in keeping/breeding/showing fancy goldfish.

    Basically the show standards call for fish that will be upside down with swim bladder issues by 5 years old.

    The faster you grow them the more susceptible they are as well.

    So that's both my favourite parts of the hobby ruined (Getting max size as soon as possible, and winning shows).

  11. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:08 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2024 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.