Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8990

    R.O. Remineralisation with a Big Blue and Lithaqua

    since i've quit recycled R.O. and i've been back on mains water R.O.
    i've been blending it with dechlorinated water, and adding sodium bicarbonate.

    but i've been looking for ways to increase the GH as well as the KH of R.O. water easily.

    in drinking R.O. water in humans,
    it can cause mineral deficiencies as the R.O. is so lacking of ions that it can pull the minerals out of your body to balance it.
    so they have small 2" diameter remineralisation filters to add a little bit back to make it safe to drink.
    the media they use is relateively cheap compared to the likes of lithaqua,
    but does contain levels of metals that while safe for drinking, may not be safe for fish.
    so thought i'd not risk it....

    i had the idea to use a 36" big blue for a large bed remineraliser.
    filled with 20kgs of lithaqua.

    because R.O. water has no KH or GH it has no buffer to ph so can easily dissolve those ions from the media.
    much more easily than water that already has a higher ph and kh level in the pond.

    so far it seems to be working well... water with zero KH or GH is coming out at a KH of 3-4 and a GH of 3-4.
    dependant on how fast i run water through it.

    currently have the boosted R.O. on a timer 20 mins on 40 mins off at 0.96 lpm
    and at that rate is giving a KH and GH of 3.
    i've detailed how i set it up in the video below






    Last edited by davethefish1; 07-08-2022 at 01:58 PM.

  2. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Love it dave.

    why have you decided to ditch the recycle RO mate?

  4. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8990
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHudson View Post
    Love it dave.

    why have you decided to ditch the recycle RO mate?

    my fish don't seem to be as active and hungry with a low pH and KH & GH,
    but you need to run low TDS to recycle the water or the membranes just block up.

    compared to running dechlorinated water in with bone char,
    the downside to that is the 600 i spent on catalytic carbon and bone char in the last year alone to achieve 0 PPB chlorine and remove metals....
    it's not the free chlorine thats the problem, i never get free chlorine breakthrough...
    it's always combined chlorine..

    even if your authority doesn't add ammonia to make monochloramine the chlorine reacts with organics in the distribution pipework, and creates monochloramines and trihalomethanes.
    which are still part of total chlorine and less oxidising then free chlorine,
    but still highly irritant, (it's the combined monochloramine in swimming pools that can make your eyes burn and red, more than the free chlorine.)
    and they take 7 times longer contact time with carbon to remove than free chlorine.

    mains RO can easily cope with chlorine levels upto 100 PPB after carbon filters remove the bulk of it and still last 3 years plus.
    or even higher chlorine and replace the membranes more often would still be cheaper than all the carbon.

    plus when you have it off line for a while like when treating for flukes,
    because it has live bacteria in it ec... from the pond water,
    the membranes need removing and cleaning or replacing, as they go foul and stink...

    mains RO isn't contaminated with bacteria so is cleaner to run, plus you can run whatever KH, GH, pH you want,
    even add salt... and still run mains R.O. water...
    Last edited by davethefish1; 07-08-2022 at 01:11 AM.

  6. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,583
    Thanks / Likes
    5532
    I’m not currently using my recycling RO because of my health problems over the last year and not being able to keep on top of checking it all.
    But the way I set up my 4040 membrane was that I could easily switch it over to run mains RO instead of recycling RO with just opening and closing a couple of valves. That meant that if I wanted to salt the pond for any reason, I could just swap over, and also like you say during any treatments that I didn’t want the RO taking out or damaging the membrane.

    Running mains RO is simpler in terms of membrane maintenance for sure. It just wastes more water for the same effective ‘water change’ which was what led me to recycle really, I’ve been both sick and very busy with Ukrainians living here this year so have had no time to mess about setting it up again. But when I doI think I’m going to build an even more complex system where I store the waste water for watering the garden in my chain of water butts.

    My RO set up is not a thing of beauty like yours because it’s not yet on a back board all neat, and my flow meters didn’t come with the mounting brackets like they now do and the Velcro mounts kept falling off. I have all the stuff to mount it and make it neat but haven’t got round to it yet

  8. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8990
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    I’m not currently using my recycling RO because of my health problems over the last year and not being able to keep on top of checking it all.
    But the way I set up my 4040 membrane was that I could easily switch it over to run mains RO instead of recycling RO with just opening and closing a couple of valves. That meant that if I wanted to salt the pond for any reason, I could just swap over, and also like you say during any treatments that I didn’t want the RO taking out or damaging the membrane.

    Running mains RO is simpler in terms of membrane maintenance for sure. It just wastes more water for the same effective ‘water change’ which was what led me to recycle really, I’ve been both sick and very busy with Ukrainians living here this year so have had no time to mess about setting it up again. But when I doI think I’m going to build an even more complex system where I store the waste water for watering the garden in my chain of water butts.

    My RO set up is not a thing of beauty like yours because it’s not yet on a back board all neat, and my flow meters didn’t come with the mounting brackets like they now do and the Velcro mounts kept falling off. I have all the stuff to mount it and make it neat but haven’t got round to it yet
    that was like my set up too,
    it kind of grew and changed from one thing to another and back again
    and i had timers, solenoid valves and flow meters all over the place.
    so when i decided to change back to direct R.O. like i was doing before i decided to tidy it all up.

    that's not a bad idea with the water butts, i could run the concentrated waste to one, and then overflow it back to the drain.

    vyair are pretty good for spares, might be able to buy the brackets for flow meters separately..
    or just get strong HD velcro
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-br...m-x-50mm/21670

    i don't know how well the lithaqua will work long term, if it will keep giving 3-4 KH untill it needs topping up
    or if it will drop off once the surface of the media has dissolved.
    but i could turn the vessle into a carbonate reactor with a small water pump and a CO2 bottle if i needed to....
    as i like to keep the pond KH around 6 for stability.

  10. #6
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,583
    Thanks / Likes
    5532
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    that was like my set up too,
    it kind of grew and changed from one thing to another and back again
    and i had timers, solenoid valves and flow meters all over the place.
    so when i decided to change back to direct R.O. like i was doing before i decided to tidy it all up.

    that's not a bad idea with the water butts, i could run the concentrated waste to one, and then overflow it back to the drain.

    vyair are pretty good for spares, might be able to buy the brackets for flow meters separately..
    or just get strong HD velcro
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-br...m-x-50mm/21670

    i don't know how well the lithaqua will work long term, if it will keep giving 3-4 KH untill it needs topping up
    or if it will drop off once the surface of the media has dissolved.
    but i could turn the vessle into a carbonate reactor with a small water pump and a CO2 bottle if i needed to....
    as i like to keep the pond KH around 6 for stability.
    I spoke to Vyair about the brackets last time I saw them at a koi show (last summer now). Unfortunately the brackets are not available as a separate item, the new flow meters come with one, but I’ve had mine a few years and they didn’t used to. The Velcro is rubbish, the Velcro itself stays stuck but comes unglued fro the back of the unit itself. My filter house gets pretty warm and humid so is good at steaming things off

  11. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    4,266
    Thanks / Likes
    8990
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    I spoke to Vyair about the brackets last time I saw them at a koi show (last summer now). Unfortunately the brackets are not available as a separate item, the new flow meters come with one, but I’ve had mine a few years and they didn’t used to. The Velcro is rubbish, the Velcro itself stays stuck but comes unglued fro the back of the unit itself. My filter house gets pretty warm and humid so is good at steaming things off
    I had the same issue with 'sellotape' velcro as well, but the real 'velcro' branded heavy duty stuff hasn't come off holding much heavier items in my filterhouse like ph monitors.
    And if it did I'd rough up the surface and stick the velcro to it with superglue or polyurethane sealant.

    Is your mains water connected to the ro membrane that has run on recycled pond water, via a breaktank with a type A air gap?

  13. #8
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,583
    Thanks / Likes
    5532
    My mains is connected via a double check valve. It also has a pre-filter, big blue and triple 20 inch filters between the supply and the RO
    My chicken drinkers are also connected with float valves to the same mains supply

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:24 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.