Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Reducing nitrate

    Been doing a bit of research and have come across Ion Exchange Resin, apparently you can just bag it up, put in a filter bay on a by-pass so you can regulate about 5000Lph and return to pond.
    It's not something I've heard of before.
    Anybody doing this?


    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    I have looked at it before, ok for aquarium volumes....

    But the amount of resin you need for a pond is large,
    It needs to be in a cylinder where water is forced through all the medium.
    and needs frequent recharging in salt.

    Recycle RO would be easier to set up...

    Dont you have your own ground water supply?
    Is it high in nitrates then?

  3. Thanks PeterDunn, MalNorwich Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    A point that is often not mentioned when manufacturers of nitrate reducing ion exchange resins are promoting their product is that the nitrate is adsorbed by the resin and replaced with chloride and high levels of chloride are harmful to fish because they interfere with osmoregulation

  5. Thanks PeterDunn, MalNorwich, sammy66, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    I have looked at it before, ok for aquarium volumes....

    But the amount of resin you need for a pond is large,
    It needs to be in a cylinder where water is forced through all the medium.
    and needs frequent recharging in salt.

    Recycle RO would be easier to set up...

    Dont you have your own ground water supply?
    Is it high in nitrates then?

    Yes a bore hole, there are some nitrates in it but my pond constantly sits at about 80ppm so wanted to try and get it down, due to heavy feeding I guess.
    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  7. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    A point that is often not mentioned when manufacturers of nitrate reducing ion exchange resins are promoting their product is that the nitrate is adsorbed by the resin and replaced with chloride and high levels of chloride are harmful to fish because they interfere with osmoregulation

    Thanks Manky, didn't realise that, I think it's some sort of vegetable filter instead then, thought I'd found a decent workaround.
    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  9. #6
    One of the first rules you learn in physics or chemistry is that you don't get nuffink for nuffink.

    If you want to get near zero ammonia and nitrite plus very low or even near zero nitrate too you can always go fully anoxic:
    Anoxic Filtration

  10. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post

    If you want to get near zero ammonia and nitrite plus very low or even near zero nitrate too you can always go fully anoxic:
    Anoxic Filtration
    I wouldn't have the space, pond is inside a greenhouse that also has a cafe & gifts/houseplant sales area.
    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  11. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    Quote Originally Posted by MalNorwich View Post
    Yes a bore hole, there are some nitrates in it but my pond constantly sits at about 80ppm so wanted to try and get it down, due to heavy feeding I guess.
    i'd just up the water change rate to 10% - 20% a day then
    seems to be about the rate japanese hobbiests do.
    2 ton a day on a 10 ton pond....

    i'm currently doing 10% a day Trickle in/out....
    i've got a waste water reduction and heat reclaimation design in my head,
    that i'll be working on next year...

  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    i'd just up the water change rate to 10% - 20% a day then
    seems to be about the rate japanese hobbiests do.
    2 ton a day on a 10 ton pond....

    i'm currently doing 10% a day Trickle in/out....
    i've got a waste water reduction and heat reclaimation design in my head,
    that i'll be working on next year...

    I'm doing about 5% a day at the moment, I guess I can increase it to whatever I want as it's free. I'll try increasing to 10% a day to start with and see how the readings are in a couple of weeks.
    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  13. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    Quote Originally Posted by MalNorwich View Post
    I'm doing about 5% a day at the moment, I guess I can increase it to whatever I want as it's free. I'll try increasing to 10% a day to start with and see how the readings are in a couple of weeks.
    the only small downside to increased water changes is lost heat from the pond.
    depending on what temperature you are at, and what temperature the incoming water is.

    here is a link to a question i asked a japanese hobbiest on you tube about water changes in the comments section...


  15. Thanks MalNorwich Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    the only small downside to increased water changes is lost heat from the pond.
    depending on what temperature you are at, and what temperature the incoming water is.

    here is a link to a question i asked a japanese hobbiest on you tube about water changes in the comments section...
    I'm heating to 20c at the moment, bore hole water is 10c, it's constantly 10c whatever the the time of year is, however cold the weather is. Bore hole is 250ft deep!
    34,000L, 2xSpindrifters, Aqua Sieve2, Nexus300, 24in K1/bead, Momotaro Bakki, 17kwThermotec Inverter

  17. Thanks davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    Quote Originally Posted by MalNorwich View Post
    I'm heating to 20c at the moment, bore hole water is 10c, it's constantly 10c whatever the the time of year is, however cold the weather is. Bore hole is 250ft deep!
    Im working on an idea for a heat exchanger to reclaim the heat from the trickle out, and use it to help offset the incoming water temperature.

    20c out and 10c in would give you 15c after the heat exchanger in theory as losses should be minimal or zero if the area is large enough...

    A simple method would be a barrel full of trickle out water at 20C
    And a long 50 to 100 meter coil of pipe for the incoming water at 10C in the barrel to heat it...
    should balance out at about 15C
    so saving 50% of the heat from the trickle out.

    This figure could be made higher with multiple barrels or heat exchangers.
    Where the exit water from the first barrel at 15C goes to a second barrel and heats the incoming water from 10C to 12.5C

    Where by the first barrel at 20C will heat the incoming water from 12.5 to 16.5C saving 65% of the heat from the outgoing water In theory.
    Assuming insulation to negate heat loss.

    But I'm looking for a stainless steel plate heat exchanger to make it more compact.

    And also using it via a recycle RO to use less water and save heat at the same time....
    Last edited by davethefish1; 10-12-2021 at 12:15 AM.

  19. Thanks MalNorwich, smartin, Ajm, Mike Bass, Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks / Likes
    4619
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    Im working on an idea for a heat exchanger to reclaim the heat from the trickle out, and use it to help offset the incoming water temperature.

    20c out and 10c in would give you 15c after the heat exchanger in theory as losses should be minimal or zero if the area is large enough...

    A simple method would be a barrel full of trickle out water at 20C
    And a long 50 to 100 meter coil of pipe for the incoming water at 10C in the barrel to heat it...
    should balance out at about 15C
    so saving 50% of the heat from the trickle out.

    This figure could be made higher with multiple barrels or heat exchangers.
    Where the exit water from the first barrel at 15C goes to a second barrel and heats the incoming water from 10C to 12.5C

    Where by the first barrel at 20C will heat the incoming water from 12.5 to 16.5C saving 65% of the heat from the outgoing water In theory.
    Assuming insulation to negate heat loss.

    But I'm looking for a stainless steel plate heat exchanger to make it more compact.

    And also using it via a recycle RO to use less water and save heat at the same time....

    When your all done Dave and its all up and running can you come to mine and build it for me please
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  21. Thanks davethefish1, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    When your all done Dave and its all up and running can you come to mine and build it for me please
    no worries mate
    should only be about 4000 in parts lol!

  23. Thanks Ajm, Mike Bass, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks / Likes
    4619
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    no worries mate
    should only be about 4000 in parts lol!
    Is that for a pond as well
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  25. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks / Likes
    6599
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Is that for a pond as well
    that would mostly be for these bits...
    stainless steel plate heat exchangers x 2
    and recycle RO from finch

    https://www.pooltechservices.co.uk/p...tainless-steel




    https://www.finchfiltration.co.uk/recycle-ro

    Last edited by davethefish1; 11-12-2021 at 11:14 AM.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.