Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Question RCD Circuit Breakers?

    Going to be doing some power tool involving work, directly over my 'pond'.

    I have a standard, shop bought RCD plugged into the wall socket.

    If I plug the drill into that. Then manage to drop the drill in the water. Will the RCD do a shred of good?

    Thanks.



  2. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks / Likes
    6459
    battery drill tied off to you with paracord and a carabina so it doesn't fall in?
    or span and cover the pond with ladders and ply boards?

    an RCD is a safety device, not a safety guarantee...
    i wouldn't want to rely on a 240v RCD not killing you or your fish...

    Last edited by davethefish1; 01-12-2021 at 06:16 PM.

  3. Thanks Balzac, Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Cheers, Dave. Ye've sort of pre-empted my own thought line there.

    I have just such a sheet of ply knocking around ...

    Be bloody daft not to use it, wouldn't it? Guess I just needed telling.

  5. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks / Likes
    6459
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
    Cheers, Dave. Ye've sort of pre-empted my own thought line there.

    I have just such a sheet of ply knocking around ...

    Be bloody daft not to use it, wouldn't it? Guess I just needed telling.
    no worries
    RCD's are good but i've still had a belt off circuits that are protected by them.
    most notably a metal key switch in a prison i was working in .

    this can be especially problematical when you talk about outside,
    as depending on what supply you have like a TN-C-S with a fault, you may not even be protected...

    Last edited by davethefish1; 15-12-2021 at 10:31 PM.

  7. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Manky Sanke, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,000
    Thanks / Likes
    17607
    The problem with RCDs now is if you have the standard most commonly fitted type AC ones and you have something with a DC inverter like some washing machine now have, a PV system, sockets with USB adapters or EV chargers, they can leak DC into your system which can stop type AC RCDs from working. Now you need to be fitting type A, B or F RCDs which aren't effected in the same way. So never rely on an RCD tripping if you are doing anything remotely dangerous.
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  9. Thanks Ajm, Manky Sanke, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,000
    Thanks / Likes
    17607
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    no worries
    RCD's are good but i've still had a belt off circuits that are protected by them.
    most notably a metal key switch in a prison i was working in .

    this can especially problematical when you talk about outside,
    as depending on what supply you have like a TN-C-S with a fault, you may not even be protected...

    I went to a job recently and found the earth fault loop reading of a PME system also known as a TN-C-S system was over 4 ohms. It should be around 0.35 ohms! The SSEN came out and checked it and found that the earth neutral link wasn't connected in the cut out fuse head and most likely the earth path was through a gas or water pipe from day one!!! Once reconnect the reading dropped to 0.44 ohms so the customer told me which is still on the high side but a lot better than the 4 ohms it was before. The RCD was still working and tested within the permitted limits.
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  11. Thanks davethefish1, Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks / Likes
    6459
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    I went to a job recently and found the earth fault loop reading of a PME system also known as a TN-C-S system was over 4 ohms. It should be around 0.35 ohms! The SSEN came out and checked it and found that the earth neutral link wasn't connected in the cut out fuse head and most likely the earth path was through a gas or water pipe from day one!!! Once reconnect the reading dropped to 0.44 ohms so the customer told me which is still on the high side but a lot better than the 4 ohms it was before. The RCD was still working and tested within the permitted limits.
    4 ohms!
    it's not going to take a lot to make you the path of least resistance lol!

    it's amazing how much it can take to trip a circuit...

    i was called out to a leak in a first floor bathroom once.
    the person had blocked the drain with a towel and left the taps running full bore...

    all the steel security flourecent lights on the ground floor had completely filled up with water and all the lights were still on!
    the best bit was finding a mixture of 2 phases on the same lighting circuit

  13. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,000
    Thanks / Likes
    17607
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    4 ohms!
    it's not going to take a lot to make you the path of least resistance lol!

    it's amazing how much it can take to trip a circuit...

    i was called out to a leak in a first floor bathroom once.
    the person had blocked the drain with a towel and left the taps running full bore...

    all the steel security flourecent lights on the ground floor had completely filled up with water and all the lights were still on!
    the best bit was finding a mixture of 2 phases on the same lighting circuit


    Some of the stuff I've seen that shouldn't possibly have been working but still was is scary.

    The amount of times I've been told "it's been working OK like that for years" when you try to explain how dangerous something is.

    One customer said that he didn't need an RCD because when he accidentally cut through a lead while mowing the lawn the fuse went off fairly quickly.

    FFS that's because you've put in excess of 13 amps through it. An RCD trips above 30 mA and trips in milliseconds. You can't help some people!!!
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  15. Thanks davethefish1, Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RoyLittle0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    2,548
    Thanks / Likes
    4700
    I went to a friends house many years ago to replace a damaged light switch in his kitchen extension and found 2 black cables at the switch, when I tested it, one side was down to earth with the light off but neither were live with the lamp removed, so I went to the consumer unit and turned off the 6-amp breakers but the light was still on, turned out they had tapped off the 45-amp cooker circuit for the kitchen lights and switched the neutral and had a permanent live at the lamp and all my mate said is "Well its always worked okay"
    4600 Gallon Concrete Block and Fiberglass
    2100 mm x 710 mm Infinity Window 32mm thick glass
    2 x Aerated Bottom Drains and Skimmer
    Filtreau HiFlow 30 Drum Filter
    Bio Chamber - 140 litres K1
    Bakki Shower - 30 KG Sakura Far Infrared Media
    2 x 18,000 lh pumps
    Heated from house boiler through a heat exchanger
    Idealseal MS290

    My Pond Build

  17. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,000
    Thanks / Likes
    17607
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLittle0 View Post
    I went to a friends house many years ago to replace a damaged light switch in his kitchen extension and found 2 black cables at the switch, when I tested it, one side was down to earth with the light off but neither were live with the lamp removed, so I went to the consumer unit and turned off the 6-amp breakers but the light was still on, turned out they had tapped off the 45-amp cooker circuit for the kitchen lights and switched the neutral and had a permanent live at the lamp and all my mate said is "Well its always worked okay"
    Seen similar recently, joint box in a loft had 8 twin and earth cables in it 6 were feeds one was a switch line and one was to a light. The light was connected reverse polarity (live and neutral reversed for anyone not familiar with that terminology) and also they were switching the neutral so when the switch was off the light went off but actually it was still live!!! This house wasn't that old. The previous owners were DIY bodgers. There were a few strange things in house and I only took off a switch and swapped some lights!!!
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  19. Thanks RoyLittle0 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.