Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai MARKG71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    175
    Thanks / Likes
    327

    Pond covers for heated pond

    Hi all,
    What's the best material to cover a heated (ASHP) pond to help retain the heat, the pond is basically rectangular but polycarb panels aren't an option due to the levels at the back of the pond.
    Looking for a fabric type but not sure on :-

    The best type, most insulating
    Does it need to let light through

    Any tips would be much appreciated.


    12’500 Litre - bottom drain - lined pond
    Nexus 220 + Draco2 - Jebao 12000 - EA UV

  2. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Mike Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    635
    Thanks / Likes
    1212
    Bubble wrap sandwiched between two polythene tarps? I previously have used reinforced plastic tarpaulin.

    I have heard of a local dealer floating polystyrene insulation sheeting straight on the water level
    Last edited by Mike Bass; 29-11-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    1kGal BD/Skim RDF/UV/k1 2.3kGal 2windows 2airBD/skim Sieve/Eazypod RDFcombi 3xVP/UV,ASHP

  4. Thanks smartin, MARKG71, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    8,767
    Thanks / Likes
    17426
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKG71 View Post
    Hi all,
    What's the best material to cover a heated (ASHP) pond to help retain the heat, the pond is basically rectangular but polycarb panels aren't an option due to the levels at the back of the pond.
    Looking for a fabric type but not sure on :-

    The best type, most insulating
    Does it need to let light through

    Any tips would be much appreciated.
    Am using polyethylene sheets . It's the stuff used for polytunnles if you made a sandwich with a nice air pocket in that might help . Am hoping to get a greenhouse type effect going on in side with mine .

    Cheapest I found was firsttunnles


    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  6. Thanks smartin, MARKG71, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,767
    Thanks / Likes
    6460
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKG71 View Post
    Hi all,
    What's the best material to cover a heated (ASHP) pond to help retain the heat, the pond is basically rectangular but polycarb panels aren't an option due to the levels at the back of the pond.
    Looking for a fabric type but not sure on :-

    The best type, most insulating
    Does it need to let light through

    Any tips would be much appreciated.
    going on your Avatar pic,
    polycarb would still be best,
    but you would need to profile something to make the rocky back of the pond square and level.
    unfortunately polycarbonate has more than doubled in price in the last year...

    you could make some thing makeshift this year and see if prices come down next year,
    but for anything like sheet polythene you need to make a 'tent' structure to allow rain and snow to run off or it will just bow and fill the pond.
    and wood isn't exactly cheap either atm....

    maybe a polytunnel?

    what is the span of your pond as it looks quite wide?

  8. Thanks smartin, MARKG71, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai MARKG71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    175
    Thanks / Likes
    327
    That sounds like a good plan, the trees at the back have gone now so a frame at the rear for polycarbonate panels might be easier now. Like the idea of a temp poly tunnel for this year.
    My pond is about 3m front to back and about 4m long. I’m wondering if I could make a type of frame from electrical conduit and put polythene over the top ?
    12’500 Litre - bottom drain - lined pond
    Nexus 220 + Draco2 - Jebao 12000 - EA UV

  10. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,767
    Thanks / Likes
    6460
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKG71 View Post
    That sounds like a good plan, the trees at the back have gone now so a frame at the rear for polycarbonate panels might be easier now. Like the idea of a temp poly tunnel for this year.
    My pond is about 3m front to back and about 4m long. I’m wondering if I could make a type of frame from electrical conduit and put polythene over the top ?
    that might work well with a smaller pond,
    but 4m x 3m is a fair old span, how exposed is the site?
    and would it cope with a gale in winter?

  12. Thanks john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Whitey79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    182
    Thanks / Likes
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Am using polyethylene sheets . It's the stuff used for polytunnles if you made a sandwich with a nice air pocket in that might help . Am hoping to get a greenhouse type effect going on in side with mine .

    Cheapest I found was firsttunnles


    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Looks like et will be ready to pop out of there any minute now

  14. Thanks smartin, Ajm, MARKG71 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    8,767
    Thanks / Likes
    17426
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey79 View Post
    Looks like et will be ready to pop out of there any minute now
    Looks even better at night lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  16. Thanks Whitey79, smartin, MARKG71, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Whitey79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    182
    Thanks / Likes
    171
    Eliot phone home

  18. Thanks Ajm, MARKG71 Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,767
    Thanks / Likes
    6460
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Looks even better at night lol

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk



  20. Thanks Ajm, Whitey79 Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    7,221
    Thanks / Likes
    13092
    Hi Mark,
    Have you ever thought of a gazebo over the pond with a solid or polycarbonate roof?

    Would help in the summer as well as the winter,and make some removable clear sides for the winter ie polycarbonate or polytunnel polythene.
    Just a thought.

    Hope your all well there.
    John

  22. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai MARKG71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    175
    Thanks / Likes
    327
    Hi John,
    Were all good here thanks, hope your all ok too.
    I have thought about it but with the pond being in the middle of the garden it would block the view of the fields from the house.
    Been looking at Geo Bubble swimming pool covers, look like industrial bubble wrap !
    Can’t find many reviews but the specification looks good.
    Mark
    12’500 Litre - bottom drain - lined pond
    Nexus 220 + Draco2 - Jebao 12000 - EA UV

  24. Thanks Ajm, john1, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    8,767
    Thanks / Likes
    17426
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKG71 View Post
    Hi John,
    Were all good here thanks, hope your all ok too.
    I have thought about it but with the pond being in the middle of the garden it would block the view of the fields from the house.
    Been looking at Geo Bubble swimming pool covers, look like industrial bubble wrap !
    Can’t find many reviews but the specification looks good.
    Mark
    I know freddyboy and bcc had them but I was taking to bcc about his and he wasn't happy with it at all but that could just be personal preference

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  26. Thanks MARKG71, john1, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai MARKG71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    175
    Thanks / Likes
    327
    Has anyone tried Geobubble pool covers ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12’500 Litre - bottom drain - lined pond
    Nexus 220 + Draco2 - Jebao 12000 - EA UV

  28. Thanks john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #15
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    7,221
    Thanks / Likes
    13092
    All good here thanks Mark,been busy putting in new windows in the garage,double glazed

    As Aj said Freddy used a floating bubble cover and lifted it in the middle to keep some of it off the water,but personally not a fan of it as its messy to remove and clean etc.

    Polycarbonate would work on yours if you used some timbers across the rockey side,I know it's expensive but I used 2nd hand from a conservatory roof for nothing,I am a scrounger
    John

  30. Thanks Ajm, MARKG71 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2022 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.