Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622

    Check your rubber boots

    Went into the garage the other day and found a fine spray of water coming from one of my boots.
    It had a large split and several cracks in it so as I had some spare changed it but luckily I caught it just as it started to leak.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224071293...53.m1438.l2649
    I have been useing these for a while now and super strong but you have to get the right size as there isnt much give in it,they work out cheaper as well as I get 6 out of 1/2 mtr and either use old Jubilee or buy new ones.

    On inspecting the rest of my rubber boots found a 4"to 2" one with cracks in it so ordered some new from 5 Acre koi as they do quality ones like Ferno etc.
    The one that cracked was an Ea one which surprised me but it was 4 yrs old.

    So keep an eye on your boots as if one goes it can be a disaster!!!!!


    John

  2. Thanks Ajm, hippo, Twhitenosugar, Frimley Koi keeper, Gazkoi, Deanosbeano, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    8,125
    Thanks / Likes
    16155
    Glad you caught it mate and yeah a good warning think we are all coming to end of season cleaning so now is the perfect time to make double sure of every thing

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Freddyboy the legend

    "we are water keepers first"

    Johnathan

  4. Thanks john1, Frimley Koi keeper, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622
    The pipe in the above link is really good and fish safe it will never perish as it has a band boing round the outside, super strong.
    John

  6. Thanks Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks / Likes
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Went into the garage the other day and found a fine spray of water coming from one of my boots.
    It had a large split and several cracks in it so as I had some spare changed it but luckily I caught it just as it started to leak.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224071293...53.m1438.l2649
    I have been useing these for a while now and super strong but you have to get the right size as there isnt much give in it,they work out cheaper as well as I get 6 out of 1/2 mtr and either use old Jubilee or buy new ones.

    On inspecting the rest of my rubber boots found a 4"to 2" one with cracks in it so ordered some new from 5 Acre koi as they do quality ones like Ferno etc.
    The one that cracked was an Ea one which surprised me but it was 4 yrs old.

    So keep an eye on your boots as if one goes it can be a disaster!!!!!
    My one big regret when I built my current pond is that the bottom drain line has 2 90 degree bends on it , and like a tool I used rubber boots for the joints .

    Did actually come in useful recently , as I had to lower the pipe by 1" to marry up with the inlet on my new drum . But the one thats burried 5 feet deep has given me plenty of sleepless nights . Im sure it`ll bite me in the arse one day . Just hope I encased it in concrete ! Cant remember !
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  8. Thanks john1, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,281
    Thanks / Likes
    5369
    thats the problem with pvc boots.....
    does the 102mm I.D. EPDM hose fit over 115mm O.D. pressure plastic pipe?

    Handy kenny from here, does the EPDM flexseal boots.
    and are a good price for low volume orders.
    Flexseal EPDM Pipe Connectors

    drainage centre are good for larger orders, but take longer for delivery which also costs more.
    but the 4" straight couplers are a good price at only 6.80 each....
    https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/flexseal-rubber-flexible-drainage-drain-pipe-coupling.html

    the killer is the price for bends and tees as i have bought 2 x 4" tees and 1 x 4" bend
    they are 36 each
    but these fitting will probably outlast your pond at a 50 year life expecancy


  10. Thanks Ajm, john1, Frimley Koi keeper, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    My one big regret when I built my current pond is that the bottom drain line has 2 90 degree bends on it , and like a tool I used rubber boots for the joints .

    Did actually come in useful recently , as I had to lower the pipe by 1" to marry up with the inlet on my new drum . But the one thats burried 5 feet deep has given me plenty of sleepless nights . Im sure it`ll bite me in the arse one day . Just hope I encased it in concrete ! Cant remember !

    Hi Colin, Yeh remember we did our pond builds at the same time.

    Maybe ok if thay are buried but who knows if a good make then should be ok.
    John

  12. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, hippo Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622
    Quote Originally Posted by davethefish1 View Post
    thats the problem with pvc boots.....
    does the 102mm I.D. EPDM hose fit over 115mm O.D. pressure plastic pipe?

    Handy kenny from here, does the EPDM flexseal boots.
    and are a good price for low volume orders.
    Flexseal EPDM Pipe Connectors

    drainage centre are good for larger orders, but take longer for delivery which also costs more.
    but the 4" straight couplers are a good price at only 6.80 each....
    https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/flexseal-rubber-flexible-drainage-drain-pipe-coupling.html

    the killer is the price for bends and tees as i have bought 2 x 4" tees and 1 x 4" bend
    they are 36 each
    but these fitting will probably outlast your pond at a 50 year life expecancy

    Hi Dave, I use 5 Acre koi now for my large boots as they stock good quality ones like Ferno etc,but the link I put on needs to be same size give or take a couple of mm as it is hard to squeeze on but will tighten up ok if too big so are good for 2" pipe etc.
    John

  14. Thanks Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper, davethefish1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks / Likes
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Hi Colin, Yeh remember we did our pond builds at the same time.

    Maybe ok if thay are buried but who knows if a good make then should be ok.
    Thats right John . Been about 6 years now , I think ?

    You`d think with it being my 3rd build , I`d know better - but I dont think there`ll be a 4th build (not this side of a divorce anyway) so will have to live with it !
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  16. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Ajm, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    My QT system has loads of flexi rubber boots on it most came from Coastal Koi and a few are Fernco so will keep an eye on them. I got some EA ones recently to fit the bio chamber and the alterations on the skimmer line for the Tempest and protein skimmer are a mix of pressure pipe and flexi rubber boots but I'm hoping to do away with some of the rubber boots on that when I upgrade the pipe from the skimmer to the pump.
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  18. Thanks hippo, davethefish1, john1, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    1,009
    Thanks / Likes
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    My QT system has loads of flexi rubber boots on it most came from Coastal Koi and a few are Fernco so will keep an eye on them. I got some EA ones recently to fit the bio chamber and the alterations on the skimmer line for the Tempest and protein skimmer are a mix of pressure pipe and flexi rubber boots but I'm hoping to do away with some of the rubber boots on that when I upgrade the pipe from the skimmer to the pump.
    I think as long as you can keep an eye on them , is can be quite useful to have a few dotted around - in case you need to change something , or break into your system for any reason . Solid pipework is great but so bloody wasteful - especially if you like tinkering and changing things around !
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  20. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    I think as long as you can keep an eye on them , is can be quite useful to have a few dotted around - in case you need to change something , or break into your system for any reason . Solid pipework is great but so bloody wasteful - especially if you like tinkering and changing things around !
    I know what you mean lol

    When I did my QT system it was built with the view to be able to dismantle it to move it to the next house plus I didn't trust my solvent welding skills. Since then I've built the retro BD pipework on my pond and gained a bit of confidence with it so have been solvent welding where I can specially if I have to fit valves or 45s so have to go for it. None of my joints are particularly tidy but they seem to work even though my alignment is a bit hit and miss lol
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  22. Thanks hippo, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    2,281
    Thanks / Likes
    5369
    it's hard not to have a mix of pressure plastic and rubber boots on most ponds,
    i think it just makes connections easier....

    but Fernco make both PVC and EPDM boots, the latter being much more expensive...
    quality PVC will outlast the cheap chinese copies, but won't last anywhere near as long as EPDM.

    there is one small downside to EPDM boots, they are much softer than PVC boots.
    which is good for vibration damping on pumps, but not so good at supporting runs of pipework without clips.
    especially the larger 4" ones, the tees are a bit squishy like rubber wellingtons

  24. Thanks Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #13
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Know what you mean about the rubber boots being too soft Dave, the 2" 90 on the outlet of my Tempest collapsed very quickly but that could have been more heat related? The 2" 90 from the Eazy Pod to the pump pipework which wasn't supported looks a bit iffy too but hopefully that pipework run will be altered when I connect the bio chamber. I made a bit of a temporary support for the 90 on the Tempest which is working OK at the moment I think!
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  26. Thanks davethefish1, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #14
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Went into the garage the other day and found a fine spray of water coming from one of my boots.
    It had a large split and several cracks in it so as I had some spare changed it but luckily I caught it just as it started to leak.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224071293...53.m1438.l2649
    I have been useing these for a while now and super strong but you have to get the right size as there isnt much give in it,they work out cheaper as well as I get 6 out of 1/2 mtr and either use old Jubilee or buy new ones.

    On inspecting the rest of my rubber boots found a 4"to 2" one with cracks in it so ordered some new from 5 Acre koi as they do quality ones like Ferno etc.
    The one that cracked was an Ea one which surprised me but it was 4 yrs old.

    So keep an eye on your boots as if one goes it can be a disaster!!!!!
    It is more of an issue if used outside as some aren't UV stable but then again I remember Feline had one go on her bio chamber or drum a little while ago and that was in her filter shed. Could have been from a bad batch?

    Good heads up though John, thanks.

    Another thing to bear in mind is you need to recheck the jubilee clips on them on a regular basis. I checked some I fitted a little while ago and a few needed tweaking up and then checked the QT system ones and most of them needed tweaking up too. Some of those had been fitted 2 or possibly 3 years ago.

    Flexi rubber boots are great as long as you know their limitations and remember to check them regularly.

    Good luck to all that's got a load of flexi rubber boots on their systems
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  28. Thanks Ajm, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #15
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Glad you caught it mate and yeah a good warning think we are all coming to end of season cleaning so now is the perfect time to make double sure of every thing

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Lol not just belt and braces but 2 belts, 2 braces, some string, some CT1, some PTFE tape and just for good measure some duct tape
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  30. Thanks Ajm, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #16
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622
    Not knocking rubber boots but I think they are great as long as you use good quality ones and unfortunately there are cheap variations out there which are useless.

    I dont use pressure pipe but use toolstation 1.5" and 2" so the pipe in my link fits all ok.

    As said before 5 Acre koi sell good quality ones at a decent price and I continue to use them for reducers etc.
    John

  32. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #17
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Not knocking rubber boots but I think they are great as long as you use good quality ones and unfortunately there are cheap variations out there which are useless.

    I dont use pressure pipe but use toolstation 1.5" and 2" so the pipe in my link fits all ok.

    As said before 5 Acre koi sell good quality ones at a decent price and I continue to use them for reducers etc.
    I only use pressure pipe as it's got a slightly larger ID compared to waste or solvent weld pipe.

    That hose you get from ebay looks a good option. Do you use it just for straight joints or for bends too?
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  34. Thanks john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #18
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,935
    Thanks / Likes
    12622
    Hi Frim, only use them for straight bits but as I said before o/d of pipe needs to be very similar to i/d of flexi pipe,could be used for a bit of a dogs leg joint.
    John

  36. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #19
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    11,718
    Thanks / Likes
    17010
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Hi Frim, only use them for straight bits but as I said before o/d of pipe needs to be very similar to i/d of flexi pipe,could be used for a bit of a dogs leg joint.
    Ideal for joining onto filters etc then specially when you've solvent welded a fitting on slightly pissed lol bit like my retro BD pipework, the pump is sitting at a 5 to 10 degree angle to the pipe connected to the retro BD because I didn't tighten the female to female unions enough before doing the joints on the two 45s. I forgot to mark the pipe and 45s before cleaning, glueing and pushing the final pipe in to place well it's under water so you can't really see it
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  38. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.