Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Solar heater

  1. #1

    Solar heater

    With the promise of warm temperatures tomorrow I decided to make sure my DIY solar heater is ready for the day, but on inspection it looks like its got a bit hot without water circulating through it, it's bandaged for now but I'm thinking I need to make new ones

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk



  2. Thanks Ajm, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,327
    Thanks / Likes
    9993
    Nobody can claim it doesn't work!

  4. Thanks Stuffyrat, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    732
    Thanks / Likes
    1192
    El scorchio Solar heater

    I've stopped using mine as the amount of crap (dead biofilm?) coming out of it was horrendous.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  6. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion Andre Asagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tosche Station....Picking Up Some Power Convertors
    Posts
    2,530
    Thanks / Likes
    1123
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffyrat View Post
    With the promise of warm temperatures tomorrow I decided to make sure my DIY solar heater is ready for the day, but on inspection it looks like its got a bit hot without water circulating through it, it's bandaged for now but I'm thinking I need to make new ones

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Do you have a build thread for this please? Or a link elsewhere?

  8. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    6,168
    Thanks / Likes
    4822
    One of the Easter eggs I had bought for my grandkids melted on the kitchen worktop yesterday.

  10. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks / Likes
    13790
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    One of the Easter eggs I had bought for my grandkids melted on the kitchen worktop yesterday.
    Yeah right melted. You mean ya pinched it with a cuppa

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  11. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Got from 10.5 at 9 this morning, to 11.8 by 5 pm so good result there I think

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  13. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Asagi View Post
    Do you have a build thread for this please? Or a link elsewhere?
    Sorry Im not that organised lol its 250 meters of plex underfloor heating pipe on a 10 foot piece of triple wall polycarbonate, sprayed black, with 10 mm clear polycarbonate over the top to keep wind chill off it, it's fed from a 3000 lph pump from the clean side of my nexus 310 and I have a digital thermostat to shut the pump off if the water temperature gets too much

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  15. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks / Likes
    13790
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffyrat View Post
    Sorry Im not that organised lol its 250 meters of plex underfloor heating pipe on a 10 foot piece of triple wall polycarbonate, sprayed black, with 10 mm clear polycarbonate over the top to keep wind chill off it, it's fed from a 3000 lph pump from the clean side of my nexus 310 and I have a digital thermostat to shut the pump off if the water temperature gets too much

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    1 you made earlier matey lol https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  17. #10
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10,860
    Thanks / Likes
    15802
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Yeah right melted. You mean ya pinched it with a cuppa

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Haha Brill.

    Aw yes, caught red handed or as it was chocolate maybe brown handed

    She can resist anything but temptation specially when it's chocolate
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  18. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10,860
    Thanks / Likes
    15802
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    One of the Easter eggs I had bought for my grandkids melted on the kitchen worktop yesterday.
    Can't beat a bit of hot chocolate - saved you a few quid on a velvetiser though
    ________________________________________________
    All we ever wanted was everything,
    All we ever got was cold,
    Get up, eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire,
    Squash every week into a day.

  20. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffyrat View Post
    Got from 10.5 at 9 this morning, to 11.8 by 5 pm so good result there I think

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    12.2 is last score on the door for today, 11 hours of sun

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  22. Thanks Ajm, Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    732
    Thanks / Likes
    1192
    Do you get much crap come out of yours?

    Or is just my one that does that? Solar heater

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  24. Thanks Stuffyrat Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Twhitenosugar View Post
    Do you get much crap come out of yours?

    Or is just my one that does that? Solar heater

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Mine seems fine to be honest Solar heater

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  26. Thanks Twhitenosugar Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai Twhitenosugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    732
    Thanks / Likes
    1192
    That is a decent temperature increase! Glad to see it working well for you.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    13,000L fibreglassed raised pond with window

  28. Thanks Stuffyrat, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks / Likes
    2598
    you lot must have inspired aqua forte they've made one too...

    The Solution to Pollution is Dilution

  30. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks / Likes
    1093
    that looks very similar to what beltway and the like have been selling for a few years to warm your paddling/swimming pool
    the slow pond build thread

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:39 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.