Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai Andymadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273
    Thanks / Likes
    223

    Oase auto top up

    Anyone using the Oase auto top up gadget? it seems a bit pricey compared to the Proline one. I guess they both work but is one better?



  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymadd View Post
    Anyone using the Oase auto top up gadget? it seems a bit pricey compared to the Proline one. I guess they both work but is one better?
    I owned the proline one for 10 years and didn't fit it. Finally got around to fitting it 3 weeks ago just before the cold spell and it looked like it was going to the do the job. Cold spell finished and I thought I'd double check everything and low and behold it'd stopped working. I opened it up and much to my horror there's around £9 of components inside - its terrible. No PCB, just components soldered to each other. I couldn't be bothered to fault find it so I bought the Oase one which arrived yesterday and I fitted it tonight. Seems to just work as described. The solenoid is heavy duty where as the proline one was feeble. I got mine from Lincs aquatics for £339 which was the cheapest I could find.

  3. #3
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai Andymadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273
    Thanks / Likes
    223
    Hmm thanks, guess you get what you pay for

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Mikeh83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks / Likes
    2920
    Could just have a trickle in with an overflow Oase auto top up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh83 View Post
    Could just have a trickle in with an overflow Oase auto top up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless you're on a water meter and then it can work out expensive.

  7. #6
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai Andymadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273
    Thanks / Likes
    223
    Yup watermeter

  8. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Mikeh83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks / Likes
    2920
    Quote Originally Posted by coastersteve View Post
    Unless you're on a water meter and then it can work out expensive.
    Not really if you set the flow to a rate that completes your weekly water changes for you.

    Your are already £500 down and thatís a lot of water Oase auto top up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. Thanks sephuk Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #8

    Oase auto top up

    Trickle in and over flow out has worked for me around 30 years ok koi keeping. Iím building a new pond starting in a week or so.
    Iím fitting a new cattle trough rise and fall ball valve £13.00 eBay, a tough ball valve.
    Fitting them both in my skimmer. Cheep low tech & very effective. Obviously after a de Lori story! Myín is a big blue.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks Mikeh83 Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai Andymadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273
    Thanks / Likes
    223
    Yes i agree a float valve would work but I did not think of it when I did the pond and to fit one now will be a bit of a problem.

    I just have the standard pool skimmer and I dont think it will fit inside.

  13. #10
    £30 on a flow meter and some maths


    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh83 View Post
    Not really if you set the flow to a rate that completes your weekly water changes for you.

    Your are already £500 down and that’s a lot of water Oase auto top up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #11
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai Andymadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    273
    Thanks / Likes
    223
    The one thing I have against a trickle is when I clean filters my water level drops and it would take hours to get back to level.

  15. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymadd View Post
    The one thing I have against a trickle is when I clean filters my water level drops and it would take hours to get back to level.
    To solve this use a trickle which trickles constantly AND also have a ball valve set at a slightly lower level which will kick in and flow more rapidly as the pond level drops.
    My DIY ponds from 1988 until present day.
    All can be found here:
    https://www.ukzero.com/pond.htm

  16. Thanks Mikeh83, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ukzero View Post
    To solve this use a trickle which trickles constantly AND also have a ball valve set at a slightly lower level which will kick in and flow more rapidly as the pond level drops.
    Spot on Ukzero this is the right way to do it. But you Do need a big blue really as a small dechlorinator canít handle a large flow. Iíve bought a big blue for exactly this reason my standard 3 stage pre filter didnít have the umf to cut the mustered on more larger flow rates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.