Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: new to this...

  1. #1

    new to this...

    Sorry for the long thread

    so I bought a house that has a pond with 3 in it. big buggers (the pond seems small) didn't even know there was 3 for 2 weeks!

    anyway I've got no idea how to look after them and the last thing i want to do is kill or injure them from a lack of understanding.

    there is a pump which goes into what i assume is a filter and then puts the water back via waterfall. Its on and flowing quite well.
    the filter thing is a grey box about 2ft square with what looks like 2 or 3 layers I'm assuming are some sort of sieve type affair. these are quite cruddy looking with mud. should i take these out and rinse them off? The water does seem to clear then murky then clear then murky. i assumed it was the fish messing about churning it up a bit

    I've read around and get the fact that below 10 c they should be sort of dormant. the water is 7c (measured with my meat thermometer as its the only one i have). up till today they were very inactive but today they are going nuts, one keeps trying to eat the plants that hang over and is poking its head out mouth open. do they need food as everything ive read says dont feed them.

    when should you feed them? if wait for the water to get above 10 that'll be may time....

    i there anything else i should know about or guides you could recommend.



  2. Thanks Ajm, Gazkoi, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    Sorry for the long thread

    so I bought a house that has a pond with 3 in it. big buggers (the pond seems small) didn't even know there was 3 for 2 weeks!

    anyway I've got no idea how to look after them and the last thing i want to do is kill or injure them from a lack of understanding.

    there is a pump which goes into what i assume is a filter and then puts the water back via waterfall. Its on and flowing quite well.
    the filter thing is a grey box about 2ft square with what looks like 2 or 3 layers I'm assuming are some sort of sieve type affair. these are quite cruddy looking with mud. should i take these out and rinse them off? The water does seem to clear then murky then clear then murky. i assumed it was the fish messing about churning it up a bit

    I've read around and get the fact that below 10 c they should be sort of dormant. the water is 7c (measured with my meat thermometer as its the only one i have). up till today they were very inactive but today they are going nuts, one keeps trying to eat the plants that hang over and is poking its head out mouth open. do they need food as everything ive read says dont feed them.

    when should you feed them? if wait for the water to get above 10 that'll be may time....

    i there anything else i should know about or guides you could recommend.
    Hi mate came to the right place. Any photos will help?
    If washing the filter. Get a bucket of pond water and swill them in that. Please don't use tap water.
    Feed wise get some wheatgerm and only feed every small amount when above 8. Any food left after 5 mins take out and bin.. ...

    Any questions please ask we ll all help here. Pictures are best if possible

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  4. Thanks domb, Wain, Gazkoi, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Welcome to the forum

  6. Thanks Ajm, Wain Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    i did wonder if its due to us having the mild days the last few, they are deffo more active today mooching about still think the pond is too small for them but they have been in it for years happily enough.
    ive got a pic of the filter on my phone which ill get off at some point

  8. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    i did wonder if its due to us having the mild days the last few, they are deffo more active today mooching about still think the pond is too small for them but they have been in it for years happily enough.
    ive got a pic of the filter on my phone which ill get off at some point
    If you download app called Tapatalk if makes the forum a load easier to use day to day and uploading pictures are a piece of pi## as well.. What are the rough measurements of the pond. Any thing under a 1000 gal is no good for koi as a general rule of thumb but we ll see what we can do. Get pictures of pond,fish,returns,pumps,filters

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  10. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    Where are you in the country ? someone may be local and be able to help once the lockdown is over

    Also the temps have risen last few days hence your seeing activity

    Fish will feed when they are hungry . . so as said above feed and after a few mins remove whats left.

    Stirring up mud means there may be a fair amount of sediment on the bottom this can be bad therefore removing some would be done at first opportunity

    however this would quickly silt up your filter . . therefore you may have a few washes of the filters in a short period . . . are you ready for this now ??

    or leave till early in season dependant on depth of pond

    sounds like the fish are resilient and have managed so far . . . but . . . it may be causing stress . .

    drop us details on size depth with photos and it will help us identify steps for you

    Welcome domb
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  11. Thanks Ajm, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    i did wonder if its due to us having the mild days the last few, they are deffo more active today mooching about still think the pond is too small for them but they have been in it for years happily enough.
    ive got a pic of the filter on my phone which ill get off at some point

    In answer to first post you can feed however not high protein foods at this time as it will pass through with little benefit or extraction of useful elements

    hence we use wheatgerm at this time it is a base food

    Fish will eat when hungry and leave rest . . so just throw a couple in at a time and see what happens . . remove if uneaten
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  13. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    Have a look on gumtree or some where like that. There is a canny few pond vacs on lately to help get that crap off the bottom. But in vacing the pond will mean water top up which then brings up how to declor your water. Previous owners may not have bothered or have used St (see link) if you can't see a small 3 pod filter any where with hose attachments. Sorry if all this is a bit over whelming at the moment but we can talk you through all of it step by step..


    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgBEA8&adurl=

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  15. Thanks dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    And read though this it'll tel you every thing you need to know. And how to use the St https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gUjgy9jFlQ3Kw1

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  17. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    [QUOTE=Ajm;363411]Have a look on gumtree or some where like that. There is a canny few pond vacs on lately to help get that crap off the bottom. But in vacing the pond will mean water top up which then brings up how to declor your water. Previous owners may not have bothered or have used St (see link) if you can't see a small 3 pod filter any where with hose attachments. Sorry if all this is a bit over whelming at the moment but we can talk you through all of it step by step..


    When I use my pondvac I collect the debris in a silk bag inside the unit and it jettisons my pond water back as I place it on the side of the pond, I do not exit it to drains or flowerbeds, it is recycled

    Mine sucks for 30 seconds then when full discharges then sucks again etc

    Oase Pontec Pondomatic Pond Vacuum Cleaner off Amazon £130

    it doesnt get the real fines but I have three Hozelock pumps and a skimmer in my pond which remove them again so the fines aint an issue for me . . . i dont think
    never asked the fish to tell the truth but is clear
    Last edited by Wain; 21-01-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  18. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    [QUOTE=Wain;363413]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Have a look on gumtree or some where like that. There is a canny few pond vacs on lately to help get that crap off the bottom. But in vacing the pond will mean water top up which then brings up how to declor your water. Previous owners may not have bothered or have used St (see link) if you can't see a small 3 pod filter any where with hose attachments. Sorry if all this is a bit over whelming at the moment but we can talk you through all of it step by step..


    When I use my pondvac I collect the debris in a silk bag inside the unit and it jettisons my pond water back as I place it on the side of the pond, I do not exit it to drains or flowerbeds, it is recycled

    Mine sucks for 30 seconds then when full discharges then sucks again etc

    it doesnt get the real fines but I have three Hozelock pumps and a skimmer in my pond which remove them again so the fines aint an issue for me . . . i dont think
    never asked the fish to tell the truth but is clear
    Use mine and count it as the water change for that week. Once I sort bd and flows out am hoping I won't need to use it any more than for a spring clean and a winter prep but famous last words and all that.... 1 thing I would be a bit worried about for the op to return the water is if there is any nasties living in the crud he could wake up and release them back in to the water to upset things more?? And tbf a good water change could be needed if its hasn't been done for a couple months?

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  20. Thanks Wain Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Gazkoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Tividale
    Posts
    1,348
    Thanks / Likes
    2814
    Welcome to EKF

    Cheers

    Gaz
    4,100 gallon pond, infinity window, duratec heater, aerated BD, 3 bakki showers full of BHM, amalgam UV, 3 Blue Eco’s, construction skimmer, trickle in/out, Oase Profi Drum and some very spoilt koi.

    3 separate grow on vats, one 1,600 gallon QT and a customer first business

    www.aurorakoi.co.uk

    www.facebook.com/aurorakoiuk

  22. Thanks Wain, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    [QUOTE=Ajm;363415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wain View Post
    Use mine and count it as the water change for that week. Once I sort bd and flows out am hoping I won't need to use it any more than for a spring clean and a winter prep but famous last words and all that.... 1 thing I would be a bit worried about for the op to return the water is if there is any nasties living in the crud he could wake up and release them back in to the water to upset things more?? And tbf a good water change could be needed if its hasn't been done for a couple months?

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Your right with our new member it would be advantageous to clean and do water change,

    I was just saying what I do as I dont have a bottom drain, I can pick out individual s^$"^ and stones on the bottom , lifted by the fish as they investigate my lilly planters

    so less an issue for my pond thumbs up
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  24. Thanks Ajm, domb Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    874
    Thanks / Likes
    1424
    Looks like you have plenty of good advise already... so just a Welcome to the forum from me from Sunny Norfolk

  26. Thanks domb Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    thanks for all the replies, the fish must be pretty resilient as they have been in this pond for years. I'm sure the previous owners said something like 15 or so.

    The filter is easy enough to get to (just trample over the plants which seem mostly brambles/weed anyway) so it cant do any harm to clean it with some of the pond water and I've ordered some winter feed for them.

    ill worry about the other stuff in due course. Given they are old is there any danger in doing major stuff? if this pond is too small (which undoubtedly it probably is) surely I'd have to catch them, figure out how to store them while I replace it etc wont that be worse than just being onto of cleaning the water etc?

  28. Thanks Wain Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    Morning domb

    how long is a piece of string

    What you do is relevant to time and money

    For major works you will need a temp pond/QT or similar for the fish then there is the build costs , , worthwhile if you are to get into Koi keeping seriously

    If this is the first time I would say . . clean the pond, read threads on here, learn what it takes

    and if you feel this is for you then jump in head first

    REMEMBER lots of photos

    Any photos help people understand what you are doing/going through and will help people give you targeted relevant help rather than blanket comments Hahahaha just like me
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  30. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    thanks for all the replies, the fish must be pretty resilient as they have been in this pond for years. I'm sure the previous owners said something like 15 or so.

    The filter is easy enough to get to (just trample over the plants which seem mostly brambles/weed anyway) so it cant do any harm to clean it with some of the pond water and I've ordered some winter feed for them.

    ill worry about the other stuff in due course. Given they are old is there any danger in doing major stuff? if this pond is too small (which undoubtedly it probably is) surely I'd have to catch them, figure out how to store them while I replace it etc wont that be worse than just being onto of cleaning the water etc?

    Love to see some photos of your set up pal we can all give targeted info then on where/what/why
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  32. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    5,712
    Thanks / Likes
    12260
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    thanks for all the replies, the fish must be pretty resilient as they have been in this pond for years. I'm sure the previous owners said something like 15 or so.

    The filter is easy enough to get to (just trample over the plants which seem mostly brambles/weed anyway) so it cant do any harm to clean it with some of the pond water and I've ordered some winter feed for them.

    ill worry about the other stuff in due course. Given they are old is there any danger in doing major stuff? if this pond is too small (which undoubtedly it probably is) surely I'd have to catch them, figure out how to store them while I replace it etc wont that be worse than just being onto of cleaning the water etc?
    Stress is always an issue but until we know more about the pond we are limited to what help can be giving.. The fish are Hardy but there is a massive difference between surviving and thriving

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ajm; 22-01-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    Johnathan

  34. Thanks Wain Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #19
    HPBU6268.jpg
    its a bit covered in snow at the mo but this is the filter thats at the top of a water fall thing, its all pretty hidden by plants.

  36. #20
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Wain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    605
    Thanks / Likes
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by domb View Post
    HPBU6268.jpg
    its a bit covered in snow at the mo but this is the filter thats at the top of a water fall thing, its all pretty hidden by plants.


    The water looks clear however only running from two outlets ? are they blocked ?

    The filters do look quite dirty, a quick rinse off will help and looking at them it possibly explains why you said the pond gets aggitated and murky, silt on bottom

    This will be fish waste and rotten plant life incl leaves that have fallen in pond and can introduce poor quality water
    1000 gal
    2 x Hozelock 6000ltr 9W UV
    Allpond Spin Filter 8000 11W UV
    Blagdon pond oxy 640 ltr/hr

  37. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:42 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2021 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.