Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1

    Nee Quarantine/Grow tank

    I have been thinking of building a quarantine tank for a while and also hoping to try growing some fry next year if my fish are up for it. Anyway, instead of building a tank I have just bought this and put it in my shed. It's bloody massive and can take 1,000 litres of water (I will be removing compressor and painting the inside with G4. Interested to know if anybody else has used a giant fridge as a quartantin/grow tank. Paid £40

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk



  2. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, john1, freddyboy, dbs, arceye, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Member Rank = Nisai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    52
    Thanks / Likes
    97
    What a great idea, Nee Quarantine/Grow tank

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks john1, freddyboy, Letimgo Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    346
    Thanks / Likes
    472
    Just don't plug it in!

  6. Thanks Letimgo, Frimley Koi keeper, john1, freddyboy, dbs, samp09 Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    Just don't plug it in!
    Nee Quarantine/Grow tankNee Quarantine/Grow tankNee Quarantine/Grow tank

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    Just don't plug it in!
    Unless you like fish flavoured ice lollies

  10. Thanks john1, Letimgo, freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    What sized Bioforce Revolution filter is that?

    I've got the 6000 UVC version and it can only handle something like 3000 to 3500 lph flow rate which I thought was quite low but maybe OK if you only have 1000 litres

  12. Thanks john1, freddyboy, Letimgo Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    Just don't plug it in!
    What the freezer or the filter system?

  14. Thanks john1, freddyboy, Letimgo Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    What sized Bioforce Revolution filter is that?

    I've got the 6000 UVC version and it can only handle something like 3000 to 3500 lph flow rate which I thought was quite low but maybe OK if you only have 1000 litres
    Yes I think it's the 6000. I bought it just for the quarantine tank but haven't tested it yet. Hopefully it will be okay. Not much media in it for such a big container so I may add some more. Have you upgraded yours at all?

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks john1, Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,163
    Thanks / Likes
    10849
    Great idea mate, I remember someone else bought one quite a few years ago but dont know what happened with it.

    Someone did say you can reverse the cold part to heat but dont know how.
    It is insulated and a lid so perfect,let us know how you get on.
    John

  18. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy, Letimgo, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Letimgo View Post
    Yes I think it's the 6000. I bought it just for the quarantine tank but haven't tested it yet. Hopefully it will be okay. Not much media in it for such a big container so I may add some more. Have you upgraded yours at all?

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    I just run it as a prefilter for a protein skimmer.

    I give it a quick clean 10 turns one way then 10 the other way every day while flushing it to waste but still needs stripping and cleaning at least once a week.

  20. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    I just run it as a prefilter for a protein skimmer.

    I give it a quick clean 10 turns one way then 10 the other way every day while flushing it to waste but still needs stripping and cleaning at least once a week.
    Don't fancy having to strip it down every week. I gave it a thorough clean when I bought it and got little sponges all over the garden.

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  22. #12
    I know it's a nightmare the first few times but I've got the knack of it a bit more now

    The problem is it's working backwards as the dirty water goes through the bio media first and then the sponges so a lot of the muck stays in the bio side of it.

    For the money they are you can buy a compact sieve which would be much easier to clean but your still going to need a decent bio filter after it, but they can be a DIY thing made fairly cheaply.

  23. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    I know it's a nightmare the first few times but I've got the knack of it a bit more now

    The problem is it's working backwards as the dirty water goes through the bio media first and then the sponges so a lot of the muck stays in the bio side of it.

    For the money they are you can buy a compact sieve which would be much easier to clean but your still going to need a decent bio filter after it, but they can be a DIY thing made fairly cheaply.
    Yes, it is strange to have k1 media in the settlement section before the foams. I am a cheapskate so only paid £50 on gumtree with some pumps and hoses. The guy had just moved into the house and found it in his garage. UV bulb doesn't work but that's okay.as I can fit more media in.

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  25. Thanks freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Letimgo View Post
    Yes, it is strange to have k1 media in the settlement section before the foams. I am a cheapskate so only paid £50 on gumtree with some pumps and hoses. The guy had just moved into the house and found it in his garage. UV bulb doesn't work but that's okay.as I can fit more media in.

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Mine had this odd media in, it looks like a large version of Helex 13 or K1 but there isn't very much of it. If your one's got standard K1 in it then that might have more bio capacity than mine? But just be careful that as it starts to block it doesn't stop the water getting through it completely. The winding handle only stirs the sponges but doesn't do a very good job at that going by what I've found!!!

  27. Thanks freddyboy, Letimgo Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    794
    Thanks / Likes
    1232
    What a great idea !!

  29. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Thought I would share the progress I have made on my grow on/quarantine tank. Done on a budget (as always) and a few fish added.
    I have built a bio chamber (water butt) with aerated K1 but can't get it "rolling" due to being too buoyant. Any tips? 300w heater holding temperature at 15 degrees. Very pleased so far. Under £200 excluding fish.

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  31. Thanks jayjt29, john1, Ajm, freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper, dbs Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,163
    Thanks / Likes
    10849
    Looking good,besides cleaning the inside did you do anything else with the inside?
    Looks a long freezer,try taking some k1 out bit at a time sometimes the k1 needs a bit of a swirl with your hand to get it rolling.
    John

  33. Thanks Letimgo, freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by john1 View Post
    Looking good,besides cleaning the inside did you do anything else with the inside?
    Looks a long freezer,try taking some k1 out bit at a time sometimes the k1 needs a bit of a swirl with your hand to get it rolling.
    Hi John,
    Cleaned and sealed the joins but Don't think it needed it. There were a couple of screw holes and a cable entry grommet at one end. It's 2.5m long. I think it was originally from a supermarket.
    Will try taking some K1 out, many thanks.
    Tim

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  35. Thanks john1, freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  36. #19
    Looks like a really good solution to what originally sounded a very strange idea

    Nice work.

    Did you PP your K1 as that helps it sink a bit better as when I swapped my filters over I just put the new K1 one into the Eazy Pod and it took a few weeks to sink a bit from what I can remember.

  37. Thanks john1, Letimgo, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  38. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Looks like a really good solution to what originally sounded a very strange idea

    Nice work.

    Did you PP your K1 as that helps it sink a bit better as when I swapped my filters over I just put the new K1 one into the Eazy Pod and it took a few weeks to sink a bit from what I can remember.
    Thanks Frimley,
    I have lots of strange ideas! This one seems to have worked out quite well. Would rather not have the pump and pipes inside so may look at a bottom drain and returns next year. I think it would be straightforward enough. There is even a little compartment that I could fit an external pump.
    Wish I had of pp'd the k1 but too late now. It has sunk a bit now and is beginning to boil a bit.

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  39. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.