Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63

    Help, thinking of selling up

    Evening all, I am looking for some advice. I have sold my house and moving a couple of miles down the road. I am having a debate with myself on if I should sell up and quit the hobby or invest in a new pond at the new house. I am leaning towards the first option. My heart is not in it anymore. Should I move the fish, drum and shower to the house and make a temp setup ready to sell everything in the spring. Or should I sell now? Will I get more interest in the spring?

    Many thanks

    James



  2. Thanks Steve's koi Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Not a great time of year to sell fish, lots of dealers with end of seasons sales to compete with too. That said also challenging to move fish at this time of year I’d imagine

  4. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Jampot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Chorley. Lancs
    Posts
    120
    Thanks / Likes
    133
    Are there a lot of fish?

    Perhaps someone would babysit them until spring or you may be able to come to an arrangement with buyers to leave it running and compensate them for water / electric bills.

    Jim
    I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish, I keep water. I don't keep fish I kee........

  6. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Hassai hippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tarleton , Lancashire
    Posts
    875
    Thanks / Likes
    439
    I think it depends on the value of the fish . Even during the warmer months , from what Ive seen on here , most fish sell for well below their value .

    Unless your fish are very expensive , I think any extra you make from waiting a few months would be eaten up by the cost of setting up a temporary home .

    Personally , if your hearts not in it , I`d sell the fish now , and maybe keep hold of the equipment until spring .

    If you`re moving house , you probably don't need an extra level of stress trying to look after the fish in a temporary home .
    Colin

    2500 Gallon Fibreglass Pond
    Draco Solum 16 , 400l Bio Chamber

  7. Thanks Djstiles999, Mikeh83, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #5
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    I have around 20 fish, some really nice ones that are probably in the £300 - £400 range and a few that are pond fillers. The equipment is an Oase drum and Queni koi shower. I think i will start taking photos and measurements this weekend and sell them over the next few weeks. I understand that they always sell for less than shop prices but i wouldnt want them going for too cheap. If thats the case i could always keep them in a temp swimming pool for the winter with the system ticking over.

  9. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai algarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    542
    Thanks / Likes
    593
    hi there How long have you got till you move house and where abouts are you based in the country?

    QUOTE=JM350Z;356868]Evening all, I am looking for some advice. I have sold my house and moving a couple of miles down the road. I am having a debate with myself on if I should sell up and quit the hobby or invest in a new pond at the new house. I am leaning towards the first option. My heart is not in it anymore. Should I move the fish, drum and shower to the house and make a temp setup ready to sell everything in the spring. Or should I sell now? Will I get more interest in the spring?

    Many thanks

    James[/QUOTE]

  10. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #7
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    I have until the first week in December at the latest but i have only moved 2 miles down the road and i am currently in the new house so i can move them over if need be. I am based in Diss, Norfolk, IP22

  12. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #8
    neighbours have just sold their house and the pond was left all in tact and fish. (don't think it was negotiated seperately for the fish)

    but i had a look at the fish and weren't any nice ones there.

    have you asked the new buyers if they want to purchase it all?

    to be honest, if that was me (and i'm no proper koi keeper) i'd try and sell the fish in the next 2 weeks (maybe difficult selling 10 + £300) and if not, defo set up a temp pool and sell again in spring, will give you a few months to decide if you're wanting to build a new pond or not as well.

    what it'd cost you the cost of 1 fish to get a new temp pond up, there may even be one available for free, bit of insulation boards and away you go.
    Last edited by CBKOI; 27-10-2020 at 09:57 AM.

  14. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    Looking through photos, maybe i should keep them lol

  16. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #10

  18. Thanks john1, Steve's koi, freddyboy, samp09, sils Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    11,015
    Thanks / Likes
    16675
    some very nice fish there mate. it would break my heart to part with them. i would set up a pool at the new place. and see how i felt in the spring time.
    you never know you could miss the hobby. if you got rid of them. and regret it.
    fred

  20. Thanks john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #12
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,149
    Thanks / Likes
    10809
    Hi James,
    You have some lovely koi there mate and it is a hard decision.
    Maybe get rid of half of them so easier to look after over winter but what ever you do I would keep your drum etc as you know hard to start up again,if you still want to get rid in the spring you could sell drum etc then.
    Advertise on here for a few I am sure they would go.
    John

  22. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #13
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    Good advice Fred, cheers

  24. Thanks john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #14
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    I think its all or none John. As its only up the road and i have already purchased a Lidl large swimming pool in preparation i think i should take them to the new place and see how i feel in spring.

  26. Thanks john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #15
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    6,149
    Thanks / Likes
    10809
    Robo 76 in Suffolk is after some and I told him you were thinking of giving up,hope you dont mind mate.

    To be honest i would hang on,i have kept koi for 30 yrs and cant count the times i have thought of jacking it in but it soon passes,i would hang in there as you may regret it.
    John

  28. Thanks Twhitenosugar, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #16
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    No i don't mind at all

  30. Thanks john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #17
    Some very nice koi mate Help, thinking of selling upHelp, thinking of selling up

    Being as though you have the gear already to set up a temporary pool, I'd do that at your new place and wait till spring is well underway before making any decisions.

    The weather now will effect your feelings as you won't be out as much and when you do it will either be raining or cold!
    Help, thinking of selling up
    Jay

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  32. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Steve's koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    139
    Thanks / Likes
    182
    Don't give up JM, I give up my pond 15 year ago when I moved from East London to Essex, I only had a couple of koi, a couple of gold fish,a tench, common and mirror carp and a few blue and golden orfe. But I missed sitting there watching and feeding them. So 12 year ago (or there about's) at the new house I built a new pond. That pond was looking tired by last year so I'm now in the process of building a new one.
    Hope you build a new one mate or you will miss it .

  34. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Kyusai Koiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    992
    Thanks / Likes
    1635
    What a truly lovely collection of Koi. Your big Showa is very beautiful. My heart went a bit fluttery when I saw it! It's pretty clear from what you've posted above that you really are in two minds about this still, so please don't make the decision now as you really are not at the point of giving up yet. You'll know when you are. Given your situation of being so close to your old house and able to move them then I really think you should.

    My only concern would be where you are going to set up your temporary pool to see them through winter as the water temps will not be stable in a pool like they are a pond, so you'll get big swings unless you are heated, or are able to surround the pool with insulation or a something to keep the wind chill factor at bay on all sides and the top. My fish were in an Intex pool for two months this year and I used my poly carbs over it with no probs, so if your pool is metal framed it should have no issues too.

    Alternatively, as @Jampot suggested, would the new owners be open to the pond staying as it is through the winter if you could come to some arrangement with them over running costs and you having regular access to check on your fish? Being so close does make this a viable option if your buyers are agreeable. When I bought my home I offered just this arrangement with the sellers - but that's another story! If you do go this route, then I recommend putting something in writing as a form of 'Deed of Trust' with the buyers so all parties feel secure with what is agreed and expected. If poss, get an independent third party (such as another neighbour) to sign as a witness. Of course, this really all depends upon the relationship you have with your buyers.

    If you do decide to sell next year, I would certainly be interested in coming to see you. I'm in West Cambs, and have family in Diss, so a trip up country would be quite welcome
    11,440L Raised Pond, BD, Oase ProfiClear, Bitron 55W, 2x10k Aquaforte Varios, Skimmer to Waterblade

  36. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #20
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Yonsai JM350Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    237
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    Many thanks for all your messages. I have thought about the idea of leaving the koi in the old pond. The new orders have even offered to look after them for me but i have a large tree above the pond and the leaves cause such a headache that i would be always worrying the drum is blocked.

    After reviewing everyone's replies i think the best idea is to set up the new pool with added insulation at the new house and see how i feel about the fish being there before deciding on a sale or new pond.

    Many thanks again

  38. Thanks freddyboy, Koiz, Steve's koi, john1, Wain Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:59 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.