Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282

    Pre Winter clean up and treatments

    Yesterday pm spent a few hours with the jet wash cleaning the filter box and jet washed the pond edges, in addition i removed both banks of jap matting and gave them both a damn good clean in a large container of pond water, surprising how much crud came out of these, always worries me that you will remove / disturb all the good bacteria but looking at the colour of the water there was clearly some dirt build up in the matting, also purged the pipework and raised the water level.
    I left the pond a fair few hours to settle and then added some Chloramine T at 15%
    Today at lunchtime i added some Fluke M hopefully this will eradicate the flukes that i have found, albeit low levels but they need dealing with before the weather turns and the pond temp drops......
    This afternoon i removed the solar heater from the pergola roof and the cleaned the whole roof which was filthy, with all the hosepipe and box work removed and with the roof being cleaned it was surprising how much light was being blocked out....

    The Doitsu Gin Matsuba is still looking poorly, i have a large container of pond water that does not have Fluke M in it currently being aerated, plan is to catch the fish tomorrow and keep him isolated in a weak salt solution for a few days in the hope that it will help him, he has been exposed to CT and Fluke M all day and over night so lets see what tomorrow brings....... fingers crossed the Showa appears to be ok.


    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  2. Thanks g mac, Ajm, RS2OOO, freddyboy, SamuraiJack Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks / Likes
    9252
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Yesterday pm spent a few hours with the jet wash cleaning the filter box and jet washed the pond edges, in addition i removed both banks of jap matting and gave them both a damn good clean in a large container of pond water, surprising how much crud came out of these, always worries me that you will remove / disturb all the good bacteria but looking at the colour of the water there was clearly some dirt build up in the matting, also purged the pipework and raised the water level.
    I left the pond a fair few hours to settle and then added some Chloramine T at 15%
    Today at lunchtime i added some Fluke M hopefully this will eradicate the flukes that i have found, albeit low levels but they need dealing with before the weather turns and the pond temp drops......
    This afternoon i removed the solar heater from the pergola roof and the cleaned the whole roof which was filthy, with all the hosepipe and box work removed and with the roof being cleaned it was surprising how much light was being blocked out....

    The Doitsu Gin Matsuba is still looking poorly, i have a large container of pond water that does not have Fluke M in it currently being aerated, plan is to catch the fish tomorrow and keep him isolated in a weak salt solution for a few days in the hope that it will help him, he has been exposed to CT and Fluke M all day and over night so lets see what tomorrow brings....... fingers crossed the Showa appears to be ok.
    Sorry to hear you fighting them little buggers . I need to do a full filter clear out aswell you've just reminded me putting in chilly on nights now when are you putting your covers on Steve? Thinking of aborting the pergola for this year life hasn't let me get it sorted and just focus on winter proofing the best I can last year filter was open to all the elements but now its been moved and boxed in just need to insulate it and make shift a cover . I've started to cut back on feed but don't know if am jumping the gun abit ???
    Johnathan

  4. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,876
    Thanks / Likes
    8837
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Sorry to hear you fighting them little buggers . I need to do a full filter clear out aswell you've just reminded me putting in chilly on nights now when are you putting your covers on Steve? Thinking of aborting the pergola for this year life hasn't let me get it sorted and just focus on winter proofing the best I can last year filter was open to all the elements but now its been moved and boxed in just need to insulate it and make shift a cover . I've started to cut back on feed but don't know if am jumping the gun abit ???
    I didn't cut back on feed as their appetites stayed strong even though pond temp was down to 17C this morning, and now I have an Ammonia reading.

    Easy to forget about risk of ammonia as temps drop, but I'm wondering if more media would help.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks freddyboy, smartin, Ajm, SamuraiJack Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks / Likes
    16135
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    I didn't cut back on feed as their appetites stayed strong even though pond temp was down to 17C this morning, and now I have an Ammonia reading.

    Easy to forget about risk of ammonia as temps drop, but I'm wondering if more media would help.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    You can t have enough media. Mate The more the better. Takes ages to mature.
    But next spring you will be ahead of the game lol
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks smartin, Ajm, SamuraiJack, RS2OOO, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282
    morning guys,
    I am hoping covers will be off still for this month all depends upon temps, pond temp at 17.2c this morning at 08.15am, fish still actively feeding and have not cut back as yet, probably will do in a weeks time once this warm weather has passed....... agree with you RS, i am looking to get some more jap matting and add it to my bio bay as there is room in there to do so but unsure if i can get enough air to circulate around it all, i might have to add a separate air stone or something...... Steve
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  10. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm, RS2OOO, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282
    Just checked my water at midday and now have Ammonia showing at 0.5 ? could be due to cleaning the filters out on Saturday ? could be the CT and Fluke M treatment ? could be that i turned my pumps down to the minimum setting yesterday morning as to not dilute the treatment through the drum ? could be as RS experienced a slight drop in temp and so an Ammonia spike? strangely my Nitrite reading is completely gin clear so zero - just hope my filters have not been knocked back too far...... unsure what to do now, just increased the pumps and will see what the Ammonia is tomorrow morning..... arrrgh one thing after another!
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  12. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks / Likes
    9252
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Just checked my water at midday and now have Ammonia showing at 0.5 ? could be due to cleaning the filters out on Saturday ? could be the CT and Fluke M treatment ? could be that i turned my pumps down to the minimum setting yesterday morning as to not dilute the treatment through the drum ? could be as RS experienced a slight drop in temp and so an Ammonia spike? strangely my Nitrite reading is completely gin clear so zero - just hope my filters have not been knocked back too far...... unsure what to do now, just increased the pumps and will see what the Ammonia is tomorrow morning..... arrrgh one thing after another!
    lovely relaxing hobby we have isnt it lol
    Johnathan

  14. Thanks smartin, freddyboy, SamuraiJack, RS2OOO, Gazkoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    681
    Thanks / Likes
    1543
    i hope you get on top of those flukes mate, been a bain for you this year.
    the only positive thing going into autum is, as the temp slowly drops so does there activity.
    Last edited by davethefish1; 14-09-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    The Solution to Pollution is Dilution

  16. Thanks Ajm, smartin, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks / Likes
    16135
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Just checked my water at midday and now have Ammonia showing at 0.5 ? could be due to cleaning the filters out on Saturday ? could be the CT and Fluke M treatment ? could be that i turned my pumps down to the minimum setting yesterday morning as to not dilute the treatment through the drum ? could be as RS experienced a slight drop in temp and so an Ammonia spike? strangely my Nitrite reading is completely gin clear so zero - just hope my filters have not been knocked back too far...... unsure what to do now, just increased the pumps and will see what the Ammonia is tomorrow morning..... arrrgh one thing after another!
    The only thing you can do lol. Is cut the high feeding. And feed sparsely. In this situation. As your treating. Are the fish flashing. Or rubbing lol. If they are stop feeding altogether.
    When I went through NPS for 6 weeks. My readings where hitting 1.5 ammonia and the fish where ok. And nitrite the same.
    They was not flashing. Luckily. Once it came back down to 0.5 on both I fed sparsely. So going on my fish. You should be ok lol. Just keep testing lol.
    When does your 1st fluke treatment finish.
    Do a water change at the end of 1st treatment.
    Then treat again. With only fluke m.
    Its probably the ct that has knocked your
    Water parameter s mate
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  18. Thanks Ajm, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai SamuraiJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    175
    Thanks / Likes
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    lovely relaxing hobby we have isnt it lol
    and it takes away the days stress, lol
    Human life is truly a short affair. It is better to live doing the things that you like Inazo Nitobe

  20. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Moderator Rank = Supreme Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    5,371
    Thanks / Likes
    3298
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin View Post
    Just checked my water at midday and now have Ammonia showing at 0.5 ? could be due to cleaning the filters out on Saturday ? could be the CT and Fluke M treatment ? could be that i turned my pumps down to the minimum setting yesterday morning as to not dilute the treatment through the drum ? could be as RS experienced a slight drop in temp and so an Ammonia spike? strangely my Nitrite reading is completely gin clear so zero - just hope my filters have not been knocked back too far...... unsure what to do now, just increased the pumps and will see what the Ammonia is tomorrow morning..... arrrgh one thing after another!

    CT kills bacteria and it is not specific about which ones, so it will knock your biofilm back a bit.
    How bad this knock-back is and how long it lasts depends mostly in how robust and aged your biofilm actually was. In a very established system things bounce back really quickly. If the media is less than 2 years old will take a bit longer.

    I would not panic about an ammonia of 0.5. Keep monitoring and see what it does next.

  22. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,876
    Thanks / Likes
    8837
    I overdosed CT by 10x the recommended dose and to my surprise the parameters stayed perfect, but maybe the Anoxic filter took up the slack from the moving bed, I don't really know.

    I think the standard packet doses of CT will do nothing to your bio, unless you have really low pH, but then with a low pH the Ammonia will be less toxic also.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, Gazkoi, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #13
    on a side note and not wanting to hijack too much, are there any recommendations as prevention for winter?

    i'll be getting the vac out in the next day or so, but example, is it worth chucking in acraflavin or another product now while temps are still ok, as a "just in case" preventative measure, even if the fish seem healthy & fine now?

  26. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,876
    Thanks / Likes
    8837
    Quote Originally Posted by CBKOI View Post
    on a side note and not wanting to hijack too much, are there any recommendations as prevention for winter?

    i'll be getting the vac out in the next day or so, but example, is it worth chucking in acraflavin or another product now while temps are still ok, as a "just in case" preventative measure, even if the fish seem healthy & fine now?
    There will be difference of opinion on that question, but my answer would be to try and avoid treating the pond without an identified target.

    Even when you have an identified target half the treatments don't seem to work anyway.

  27. Thanks Ajm, CBKOI, freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    4,273
    Thanks / Likes
    9252
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    There will be difference of opinion on that question, but my answer would be to try and avoid treating the pond without an identified target.

    Even when you have an identified target half the treatments don't seem to work anyway.
    Agree with rs . Treatments are just the same as antibiotics for us to much use and they stopping working. Or in my eyes away
    Johnathan

  29. Thanks Gazkoi, CBKOI, freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,644
    Thanks / Likes
    16135
    Plus the treatments only last 5 to 6 days.
    And also it will knock your bio. And coming to the end of the summer season. With cold nights and temperatures dropping.
    I reckon it would do more harm then good.
    Good question though.
    Agree with RS and AJ
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  31. Thanks Ajm, davethefish1, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai davethefish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Bedworth
    Posts
    681
    Thanks / Likes
    1543
    i'm not a fan of maintenance treatments.
    for me, unless using for other purposes like removing slime coats/supporting infection.

    any treatment like CT, PP, or acriflavin that reduce/destroy bacterial count, should only be used if you have an imbalance of good/bad bacteria.
    to reset the clock so to speak.

    it's like us treating a viral infection with antibiotics.
    does nothing against the infection, but knocks our own good bacterial count down opening us up to infection by other opportunistic organisms/bacteria.
    The Solution to Pollution is Dilution

  33. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, smartin, Koiz Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    The only thing you can do lol. Is cut the high feeding. And feed sparsely. In this situation. As your treating. Are the fish flashing. Or rubbing lol. If they are stop feeding altogether.
    When I went through NPS for 6 weeks. My readings where hitting 1.5 ammonia and the fish where ok. And nitrite the same.
    They was not flashing. Luckily. Once it came back down to 0.5 on both I fed sparsely. So going on my fish. You should be ok lol. Just keep testing lol.
    When does your 1st fluke treatment finish.
    Do a water change at the end of 1st treatment.
    Then treat again. With only fluke m.
    Its probably the ct that has knocked your
    Water parameter s mate
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Freddy,
    I put the Fluke M in on Sunday just gone, was going to re treat tomorrrow (Friday) i know its not 7 days but i think 5 days will be ok as i want to ensure they get a good dosage in the pond for 10 straight days which should at 18 degree's cover all Fluke stages..... i hope, yes i will do a water change before hand and no more CT..... like you say it must of been a combination of cleaning my filters and using CT and Fluke M which knocked them back, not had this issue before hand..... thanks Steve.
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  35. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  36. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    CT kills bacteria and it is not specific about which ones, so it will knock your biofilm back a bit.
    How bad this knock-back is and how long it lasts depends mostly in how robust and aged your biofilm actually was. In a very established system things bounce back really quickly. If the media is less than 2 years old will take a bit longer.

    I would not panic about an ammonia of 0.5. Keep monitoring and see what it does next.
    thanks Feline it crept upto 1.0mg last night but is back to 0.5mg this lunchtime....
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  37. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  38. #20
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks / Likes
    3282
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    I overdosed CT by 10x the recommended dose and to my surprise the parameters stayed perfect, but maybe the Anoxic filter took up the slack from the moving bed, I don't really know.

    I think the standard packet doses of CT will do nothing to your bio, unless you have really low pH, but then with a low pH the Ammonia will be less toxic also.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    wow you were very lucky RS..... I only dosed to 15% CT and its defo hit my filters, i used CT a month or so ago at 10% and this had no effect on the filters....
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  39. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:55 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.