Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

  2. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, RS2OOO, davethefish1, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai samp09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    535
    Thanks / Likes
    1247
    Thanks for the links, I may need this after what will no doubt be a very stressful 90 odd minutes watching spurs tomorrow!!

  4. Thanks smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    I realise this isn't koi-related, but I can't help but share it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsW9yk6y2ao

    Wow... just ​WOW!

  6. Thanks freddyboy, john1, Ajm, anne, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,981
    Thanks / Likes
    15227
    Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSomethingInTheWater View Post
    I realise this isn't koi-related, but I can't help but share it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsW9yk6y2ao

    Wow... just ​WOW!
    One word Awesome.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks Ajm, anne, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    That’s pretty spectacular.
    I know drones have their detractors but when they’re used for something like that they’re pretty awesome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks Ajm, RS2OOO, freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,648
    Thanks / Likes
    8370
    Posted this before, but has to be my favourite garden and pond:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFVfAmPieI





    The story behind it is equally incredible:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F2lzV8dEpY


  12. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, MustBeSomethingInTheWater, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Maybe not multi-tiered like the one above, but here's another big one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12COgehsdQ



    I'm a big fan of Japanese-style gardens/ponds

    These 3 are by Reinhold Borsch, whose work I absolutely adore:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TieRDEstlEU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4UQXT5Whk

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHwe0AlWCcQ (also linked in my original post, above)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsd70s_NQA


    These 2 are also by Reinhold Borsch, but are temporary exhibition installations:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wXxAdFW9o

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv9BhmDA5JU
    Last edited by MustBeSomethingInTheWater; 14-11-2019 at 12:04 AM.

  14. Thanks freddyboy, smartin, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,648
    Thanks / Likes
    8370
    Who watched grand designs house of the year tonight and wanted the horrible black concrete house just so they could have the huge concrete pond surrounding the entire house?

    Edit:

    This is the house:

    Ghost House
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 14-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.

  16. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,596
    Thanks / Likes
    1022
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Who watched grand designs house of the year tonight and wanted the horrible black concrete house just so they could have the huge concrete pond surrounding the entire house?

    Edit:

    This is the house:

    Ghost House
    oh that's a nice house, reminds me of Japanese paper screens
    the slow pond build thread

  18. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Ermmmm... I think I'm with RS2000 on that one - although I 'get' the point of the extreme symmetry, simplicity of form, vivid perspective, etc. the end result is excrutiatingly austere and not very welcoming. It almost looks like a private clinic!

    In terms of the pond around the house, this is a bit different, but also a bit similar, in some regards:

    https://www.koiforum.uk/koi-carp-cha...tml#post307517

  20. Thanks freddyboy, smartin, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Nice to see Kevin Ellis has uploaded 3 of his old (Japan, 2017) 'Koi Nerding' videos to his Youtube channel, this Xmas Eve. No big deal for me, since I have all his Nerding vids archived, but it's still nice to see him re-uploading some after they were all deleted off Vimeo.

    One of them has a nice Japanese koi garden (belonging to one of the breeders):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eFIQTdlelA (53:46)

  22. #12
    Didn't see the point in starting a new thread (so I'm temporarily reviving this old one), but here are a couple more beautiful ponds I've long admired (please note that I'm acutely aware that there are some significant technical compromises involved with making Japanese-style ponds - pathogenic bacteria, for example. I'm posting these purely from an aesthetic point of view, in spite of their flaws and potential problems):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXlcpW5Rvdo

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOTTPkVjbMI

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xeGCKpki8o (a world famous pond located at the back of a shop - Daikon Ya, Miyajima)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgkMAcDtR0


    I can post others, but I'll stop there, as I know naturalistic Japanese style ponds aren't many people's cup of tea, in the UK.



    and some other interesting ponds in these links:

    https://www.koiforum.uk/koi-carp-cha...tml#post307933

    https://www.koiforum.uk/pond-constru...tml#post309525



    Have a good week, everyone!
    Last edited by MustBeSomethingInTheWater; 06-06-2020 at 06:51 PM.

  23. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    I really like the videos you post, I can never find anything that interesting so don’t stop A relaxing way to spend 4 minutes...A relaxing way to spend 4 minutes...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. Thanks MustBeSomethingInTheWater, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Not perfect (I wish they'd made more effort to make the pond perimeter look more natural, and the paving a bit less contrived), but still quite pleasant:

    youtube.com/watch?v=9SwZEww4RlM


    This one makes a better effort at looking natural, whilst still being a compact and functional pond - the drone footage gives an interesting perspective, too. Overall, I think they did a really nice job of the pond and the compact garden surrounding it:

    youtube.com/watch?v=5tAM0wGRBsU

    youtube.com/watch?v=b9dxBAVp-LQ


    This one isn't perfect, from a technical standpoint, but, aesthetically, it is one of my absolute favourite private/domestic ponds. I don't like the crazy paving or the crazy number of cloud-pruned azaleas at the back of the garden, which are a more obviously human-made version of 'Japanese style' and (IMO) clash with the more naturalistic style of the pond, but as for the pond itself - I love it. In its own way, I think it's one of the rare ponds able to stand toe to toe with a Borsch pond (I posted some Borsch ponds, higher up this thread), although it is of a smaller scale, somewhat-smaller budget, and less theatrical style than Borsch. The rocks and azaleas around the pond edge are a bit too regularly spaced with one another to look natural, but I'm really being picky. Honestly, I love the pond and they did a great job with it:

    youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9qWCzta2M

    youtube.com/watch?v=sno4EpEkCAo


    If you look at the classic full-scale Japanese gardens like Kenroku-en, Happo-en, Isui-en, Ritsurin, etc., you'll see this pond makes a respectable attempt to mimic that naturalistic look, and gets pretty close, within the limitations of GRP construction (although the light green flow coat seems a strange choice).


    Borsch ponds tend to be somewhere in between theatrical and naturalistic, but he seems to be adept at walking a fine line without obvious clashing/contradiction within each project. If one of his projects is theatrical then it's unashamedly theatrical.
    Even though my favourite style leans more towards the naturalistic (e.g. the classic full-scale Edo period stroll gardens I mentioned), Borsch does such a classy job with his more theatrical style that I still love them.

    However, I think I recall reading in one of his interview articles, that his gardens tend to start at approximately a quarter of a million Euros!



    __________________________________________________ ___________________________


    As always, trying to make a modern (GRP lined, proper bottom drain, etc.) pond look convincingly naturalistic poses a number of technical challenges, some of which are overlooked or treated as acceptable compromises, by some designers/builders, in order to get the desired appearance.
    A common example is the desire to submerge rocks in the water, around the pond edge, but if you simply build a ledge within a GRP pond, and plonk a rock on it, it can (if done carefully) look great, with careful planting to disguise how it's been done, but the crevices between the bottom of the rock and the GRP ledge upon which it is seated can potentially harbour pathogenic bacteria (much like the notorious creases in a pond liner). I see this issue frequently overlooked. The 2nd pond video in this post (v=5tAM0wGRBsU) shows an example of this compromise.

    The pond in the last link (v=sno4EpEkCAo) has at least some (possibly all, but I can't see clearly enough) of the edging rocks NOT submerged in the water, but with the top lip of the GRP lining discreetly running around the front edge of the rock, so the rock doesn't actually come into contact with the water at all, in order to avoid harbouring pathogenic bacteria or trapped food.


    It's also a really paradoxical topic, because, let's face it, a truly natural pond, untouched by the hand of man, is nothing but rocks and pebbles and millions of crevices between them, within which all manner of health-promoting and pathogenic bacteria may thrive. How's that for awkward contradiction?

    Anyhow, I didn't intend for this post or this thread to become a technical discussion - I really just wanted to share some videos of beautiful ponds.

    __________________________________________________ ___________________________



    I'll post a couple more pond vids tomorrow.
    Last edited by MustBeSomethingInTheWater; 04-06-2020 at 01:01 AM.

  27. Thanks bigcarpchaser, freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,981
    Thanks / Likes
    15227
    Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSomethingInTheWater View Post
    Not perfect (I wish they'd made more effort to make the pond perimeter look more natural, and the paving a bit less contrived), but still quite pleasant:

    youtube.com/watch?v=9SwZEww4RlM


    This one makes a better effort at looking natural, whilst still being a compact and functional pond - the drone footage gives an interesting perspective, too. Overall, I think they did a really nice job of the pond and the compact garden surrounding it:

    youtube.com/watch?v=5tAM0wGRBsU

    youtube.com/watch?v=b9dxBAVp-LQ


    This one isn't perfect, from a technical standpoint, but, aesthetically, it is one of my absolute favourite private/domestic ponds. I don't like the crazy paving or the crazy number of cloud-pruned azaleas at the back of the garden, which are a more obviously human-made version of 'Japanese style' and (IMO) clash with the more naturalistic style of the pond, but as for the pond itself - I love it. In its own way, I think it's one of the rare ponds able to stand toe to toe with a Borsch pond (I posted some Borsch ponds, higher up this thread), although it is of a smaller scale, somewhat-smaller budget, and less theatrical style than Borsch. The rocks and azaleas around the pond edge are a bit too regularly spaced with one another to look natural, but I'm really being picky. Honestly, I love the pond and they did a great job with it:

    youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9qWCzta2M

    youtube.com/watch?v=sno4EpEkCAo


    If you look at the classic full-scale Japanese gardens like Kenroku-en, Happo-en, Isui-en, Ritsurin, etc., you'll see this pond makes a respectable attempt to mimic that naturalistic look, and gets pretty close, within the limitations of GRP construction (although the light green flow coat seems a strange choice).


    Borsch ponds tend to be somewhere in between theatrical and naturalistic, but he seems to be adept at walking a fine line without obvious clashing/contradiction within each project. If one of his projects is theatrical then it's unashamedly theatrical.
    Even though my favourite style leans more towards the naturalistic (e.g. the classic full-scale Edo period stroll gardens I mentioned), Borsch does such a classy job with his more theatrical style that I still love them.

    However, I think I recall reading in one of his interview articles, that his gardens tend to start at approximately a quarter of a million Euros!



    __________________________________________________ ___________________________


    As always, trying to make a modern (GRP lined, proper bottom drain, etc.) pond look convincingly naturalistic poses a number of technical challenges, some of which are overlooked or treated as acceptable compromises, by some designers/builders, in order to get the desired appearance.
    A common example is the desire to submerge rocks in the water, around the pond edge, but if you simply build a ledge within a GRP pond, and plonk a rock on it, it can (if done carefully) look great, with careful planting to disguise how it's been done, but the crevices between the bottom of the rock and the GRP ledge upon which it is seated can potentially harbour pathogenic bacteria (much like the notorious creases in a pond liner). I see this issue frequently overlooked. The 2nd pond video in this post (v=5tAM0wGRBsU) shows an example of this compromise.

    The pond in the last link (v=sno4EpEkCAo) has at least some (possibly all, but I can't see clearly enough) of the edging rocks NOT submerged in the water, but with the top lip of the GRP lining discreetly running around the front edge of the rock, so the rock doesn't actually come into contact with the water at all, in order to avoid harbouring pathogenic bacteria or trapped food.


    It's also a really paradoxical topic, because, let's face it, a truly natural pond, untouched by the hand of man, is nothing but rocks and pebbles and millions of crevices between them, within which all manner of health-promoting and pathogenic bacteria may thrive. How's that for awkward contradiction?

    Anyhow, I didn't intend for this post or this thread to become a technical discussion - I really just wanted to share some videos of beautiful ponds.

    __________________________________________________ ___________________________



    I'll post a couple more pond vids tomorrow.
    Nice one mate. Always very interesting.
    Some great videos.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  29. Thanks smartin, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai smartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanks / Likes
    2937
    very nice, just wondered if someone fancied scaling those pinnacles to get me some of those bonsai or what ever that is growing off the ledges
    2200 gallons, infinity window, BD
    Evolve 4000 combi amalgam UV
    10k,20k AF pumps
    Skimmer trickle.

  31. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #17
    As promised, here are a few more videos, but, again, I'm not posting any of these as being good technical examples - just aesthetically pleasing for the minority of us who like Japanese-inspired naturalistic pond-garden designs.


    youtube.com/watch?v=GUnKv5vqJ0Y

    This was designed & built by German high-end Japanese-style garden designer, Jürgen Kirchner:

    youtube.com/watch?v=l1lsFY7t8F4
    youtube.com/watch?v=pM3dtG13UqQ


    I wonder if Jürgen Kirchner might, perhaps, have been the designer responsible for the pond I mentioned liking so much, in my previous post: youtube.com/watch?v=sno4EpEkCAo



    youtube.com/watch?v=37VUJ7xw_nU

    youtube.com/watch?v=bsMByxVDD54

    youtube.com/watch?v=4PnYVgzN8cc

    youtube.com/watch?v=gydBt6FPLTY#t=1022

    youtube.com/watch?v=-eI4oDMUvE4 (I have another clip of this pond, showing more of it, but I can't find it at the moment)



    This one isn't a proper koi pond,and neither is it intended to be Japanese style, but a proper koi pond could be designed to look similar, and it's nice in its own right, hence me throwing it in, at the end, here:

    youtube.com/watch?v=AHPqcnjYhl8

    I'm sure many people reading this have seen some of these, and many others, on youtube, over the years, so feel free to post any of your favourites in this thread - nothing wrong with a few minutes eye candy, every now and then.
    Last edited by MustBeSomethingInTheWater; 06-06-2020 at 07:34 PM.

  33. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #18
    A German koi dealer's pond:

    youtube.com/watch?v=76anGlTG0x8

    Guenter Heymans' pond is quite well known. It's a lovely garden - my only quibble is the outmoded filtration and the perimeter rocks being far too regular, making it look like a necklace. Really nice planting, that has evolved over time, and an unusually well-layered overall composition, which demonstrates his depth of familiarity with the real gardens of Japan:

    youtube.com/watch?v=duO5bmlacXo


    Robert Jungnischke's pond is beautiful, too (clever use of perspective, with the bridge placement, which also makes the pond seem larger):

    youtube.com/watch?v=HTGesgMGxws


    Lastly, this one:

    youtube.com/watch?v=ksmbLKCFezM
    youtube.com/watch?v=8hTCTTLBc2A

    I think it may have been partly inspired by the beautiful Kōko-en garden of Himeji Castle:

    youtube.com/watch?v=ZonNTn3ODTw#t=149

  35. Thanks bigcarpchaser, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.