Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Winter temp

  1. #1

    Winter temp

    Hi all , what is the minimum temp i need to keep the filter alive over winter..



  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    186
    Thanks / Likes
    231
    If your talking about adding heat, it's fish health growth that's the reason. Above 10 degrees C.

    For an un heated pond, keep the pump going 24/7
    maybe at a reduced rate.
    Insulate were possible to avoid cooling the water.
    The filters will naturally pick up when the weather does.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    642
    Thanks / Likes
    1151
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyp View Post
    Hi all , what is the minimum temp i need to keep the filter alive over winter..
    I read somewhere that optium winter temp is around 13 degrees, yo can feed sparingly as well, although cease feeding for about 6 weeks over winter.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks / Likes
    5121
    On mankys page he dose say about 14o cant find a link so could be wrong but am sure that what I read wanna say he called it some thing alley for the koi immune system

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ajm; 19-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Johnathan

  6. Thanks Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    642
    Thanks / Likes
    1151
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    On mankys page he dose say about 14o cant find a link so could be wrong but am sure that what I read wanna say he called it some thing alley for the koi immune system

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Sounds about right that.

  8. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,310
    Thanks / Likes
    10591
    Koi immune system starts falling at about
    12c
    I think its recommended to set your pond to 13c to keep your fish safe.
    So you need to set the heater at say 14c to maintain this.
    I believe what I have heard about aeromonas alley . You maintain heat at 13c and above. Manky s link to heating.

    Heating koi ponds

    Fred





    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,310
    Thanks / Likes
    10591
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Koi immune system starts falling at about
    12c
    I think its recommended to set your pond to 13c to keep your fish safe.
    So you need to set the heater at say 14c to maintain this.
    I believe what I have heard about aeromonas alley . You maintain heat at 13c and above. Manky s link to heating.

    Heating koi ponds

    Fred





    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Morning AJ. Nice and early for Sunday.
    Hope your well mate

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  12. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Mature Champion Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2,407
    Thanks / Likes
    5121
    Morning mate nor little one been up since 3 caughing . Got a bad chest to start with so every year when the temp changes she is bad for a couple weeks . can set you watch by it every march and October

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  14. Thanks freddyboy, smartin Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,310
    Thanks / Likes
    10591
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Morning mate nor little one been up since 3 caughing . Got a bad chest to start with so every year when the temp changes she is bad for a couple weeks . can set you watch by it every march and October

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear of that mate. Must be horrible
    For her. Hope she is over it soon

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks Ajm, Tom Koi Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Yonsai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    186
    Thanks / Likes
    231
    I knew what I had in mind in the first post, but agree the lack of detail left it wanting.

    So the Q was about heat for the filters.

    Heat is not added for the filters but for the fish.
    The filters will slow down but so will everything else, the filters pick up as needed when the temperature increases.

    10 degrees is the temp that lots of things shut down.
    That's why I said Above 10.
    Just above 10 is a risky area.
    I know 14 is the temperature most would heat to, a compromise between the fish and a remortgage. If it's for maximum possible growth in the early years then in the garage heated to over 20.

    A link for the page on Aeromonas Alley
    Aeromonas alley
    Last edited by Simon Fish; 20-10-2019 at 07:34 PM.

  18. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:11 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.