PDA

View Full Version : Gold Membership Poll

lazarus
26-05-2014, 07:57 PM
We have been discussing ways to fund the forums running costs and help with development in the future. One of the ideas was to offer a Gold Membership

We have not nailed down exactly what a Gold Member would get but it would be something along the lines of:

Online Storage for Photos increases from 250MB to 1000MB.
Your Private Message box will be increased from 250 to 3000 messages.
Access to an exclusive forum chat window.
No ads anywhere.
Exclusive "I'm a Supporter Shield Emblem" next to your name.
Can view the forum in invisible mode.
Discount for Extreme Koi Members to use at various retailers
You can link to your business in posts. If you are own one
Access to the members section

Plus some more that we are discussing....

This will in no way effect Existing members and everything would still be the same as it always has been

Not sure of the cost of Gold Membership as of yet maybe you could post below what you think it should be.

Please vote

Marc
26-05-2014, 08:13 PM
I vote yes, Sounds a great idea, sign me up

14crazychris
26-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Does everyone have to pay for it?? Or is it just and upgrade kind of thing? Not sure if the benefits are that good apart from the discount card but if its developed it could be a good added extra i think its a good idea. Also would it be a yearly subscription or one that lasts a lifetime?? Sorry for all the questions
Thanks chris

lazarus
26-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Does everyone have to pay for it?? Or is it just and upgrade kind of thing?

Yeah its totally an optional upgrade. :)

Membership would be yearly.

vince
26-05-2014, 08:18 PM
i would think it has to be yearly to work. and 100% behind the idea . as said you can still be a normal user for free. not that i am anyway near normal lol

14crazychris
26-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Also maybe if you reach a certain amount for posts like vince lol you get it for free?? Just a suggestion

lazarus
26-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Also maybe if you reach a certain amount for posts like vince lol you get it for free?? Just a suggestion

Yep That exact point was discussed also. :)

Marc
26-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Ha ha ! Vince would be the first member I think!

vince
26-05-2014, 08:29 PM
don`t think it should be free . i just post carp so if anything you should make it free for the experts. after all its them that make this a forum it is

pootkoi
26-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I would be up for it so much information on the site you would be silly not to go for a gold membership and have full access.

lazarus
26-05-2014, 08:39 PM
I would be up for it so much information on the site you would be silly not to go for a gold membership and have full access.

Everyone would still have full access the the forum as it is now. There would be an added section that members will have access too for offers, live chat, etc

Doghouse Riley
26-05-2014, 08:40 PM
From a personal point of view I'm more than happy with the board as it is, but the development may be of interest to others.

JohnKitching
26-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I'd be up for that if it wasn't silly money. I think I'd be comfortable up to about £50 per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apbarr
26-05-2014, 09:23 PM
The other forum I use is Birdforum and it uses a system of "supporter" status where you have some benefits in return for an annual donation. The amount is a minimum of £15 pa but many contribute more. You can have a larger avatar and signature and a banner showing that you are a supporter for the year eg

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011
Click here to Support BirdForum

Jedi
26-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Wasn't the reason for this to get funds to help with running costs.
On a personnel note i wouldn't want to any more than £20 a year.

Kanundra
26-05-2014, 09:51 PM
I also use a couple of other sites, and have paid membership before today. Members are what makes a site important. I would support it, be a mod or not.

Personally I support Birdline, a charity for parrots, I get great satisfaction from knowing my membership helps to keep the birds in medical supplies.

Knowing that my membership here would support koi and their owners would be worth it for me as well.

The benefits are good, but agree membership, should perhaps start £15 and with further donations allowed as an extra. Site sponsorship on a bigger level, would include a couple of extra special things for that person, like the banners under our names etc. :)

rsands
26-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Coming from a web developer background I dont think it is a good move to hide all advertising for a gold member. It devalues your advertising slots. Have you considered adding adwords ads to the site down left or right menu? I hate them usually on anything other than a forum but you will get good revenue if the site traffic is of a decent level.

On another note, if you need any help with the forum development, coding, etc I am more than happy to help. A few upgrades to the forum would definately help like breadcrumb navigation as mentioned in another thread.

miles41
26-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Well, it gets my vote....and not just because I'm a mod or anything. I look at the 'big' picture and see the potential benefits. I would suggest that only a small figure is being looked at, and nothing is set in stone yet.

greengrass
26-05-2014, 10:18 PM
I got not problems in making a donation now and again, I am a member of another forum (not koi related) and most people make a donation of say £5 every quarter which helps towards the running of things

bigcarpchaser
27-05-2014, 11:48 AM
look at disco3.co.uk for a well "run" commercial forum or contact disco3club.co.uk for a details of a well run "club funded" forum. I'm sure Stu or one of the other committee members would be able to offer some advice.
different levels of advertisers mainly fund the .co.uk forum whether they be "site supporters" or full on paid advertisers.
users selling often contribute a "forum donation" for ustilising the site's for sale board.
advertisers can promote business and offer a discount to a forum member
the "club" is slightly different as it's run by elected committee on behalf of paying members.

A forum is nowt without forum contributors/users which can be driven away once they have to start coughing up cash even if it's only a tenner.
Users generate advertising, advertising generates users
the odd controversial topic generates traffic but can also make a site very hostile and cliques soon develop which leads to more moderation and other associated problems, please if you see this happening, stamp it out quickly.
one of the reasons I come on here is because it's friendly and just because you're a novice, your not treated like a numpty.

Personally, I'd be happy to "contribute" and I suspect there will be a great many others who would too, after all, it's not a poor mans hobby so many on here wouldn't miss a tenner. I suspect there would be plenty who'd disappear off to somewhere else if they did though.

Tricky situation to balance between what probably started out to be a bit of fun bit soon can take over your life and pocket.

markf1fan
27-05-2014, 09:01 PM
being top poster i would not have a prob paying £5 for the forum. even being top poster i would still not want it free and pay the same as others.

Cleveland
27-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Everyone would still have full access the the forum as it is now. There would be an added section that members will have access too for offers, live chat, etc

I personally would like everyone to have the same access to everything on the forum and be more than willing to pay a small membership fee.

This might discourage new members who don't know what they are missing so perhaps a free starter month for newbies

legin
27-05-2014, 10:05 PM
The essence of this forum is good comunity spirit towards anyone who freely subscribes, the option of an additional paid subscription could be seen as a privalige and an oppertunity to help fund the forum.

keep the spirit alive, post positively until you've earned the right to become a gold member / invisible non contractual / non benifactor of this forum :D

kind regards,
Nigel

wcvp
28-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I think it could be a good idea, I think its difficult to set the price so maybe like said a small free with the option to pay extra could be a good idea, I've seen many forums charge for the for sale section but I do not think this would work for this one as often people are moving fish on at a small cost to find a good home etc and I don't think the forum has the traffic to make a fee worth wile.
I think the idea of it being free for a set time when you join could be a good option as said.
If i had paid id like to see update's on how the forum is being improved with our contribution.

Mattsville
28-05-2014, 10:46 AM
My thoughts:

I'd be happy to pay a small fee. Now, I think it's more useful to be honest here than to worry about sounding tight, so I'll try! So being totally honest, if this was voluntary (or at least semi-voluntary as is being described here) and was £5 or £10 then i'd happily pay it. If it was much more than that I probably wouldn't. I'm afraid if it was £50/year I definitely wouldn't. Sorry if that sounds tight! If it was compulsory I probably would never have come on the site in the first place so wouldn't know what I was missing, and I don't think a month free trial would help much.

I really, really think making it free (or cheaper) the more you post is a very bad idea. I think it will encourage people to post for the sake of it and dilute the quality of helpful posts, which isn't what anyone wants. Also, if you use the forum more, it has more value to you.

Also, removing adverts for gold seems like it would be counterproductive for generating funds. Regular users (ie. potential gold members) are probably who the advertisers want to reach.

I'm also not sure about the gold members benefits - there aren't any listed that I would actually want. But I'd still pay the fee, just cos I use the site a lot.

Do you think it might be an idea just to have a voluntary donation link, rather than gold members? I've used sites before that have that (and paid). You could have a banner explaining that the site is free but has running costs and asking for a suggested amount (like £5 or more if you can afford it) I think a lot of people would do it. If it reminded you if you haven't paid that year then even better.

Might be just as productive as gold membership (or even more) without changing the site at all? Just a thought.

Matt

JohnKitching
28-05-2014, 10:52 AM
I've seen sites that have free access to most areas but if you want to see (or post in) for sale or wanted you have to subscribe. That seems to work ok.

deddog
28-05-2014, 11:11 AM
What about a donation link, no perks, less hassle to set up, people can contribute what they feel appropriate.

lazarus
28-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Great Ideas..

This what I'm thinking at the moment.

It lets you choose how much from a drop down box. It's your choice. From a minimum to a maximum
Also
On the same page if anyone feels like just donating "one off" that is there also.

Iv got plans for developing the for sale section to make it a whole better experience and to make it always be free to sell.

I think to keep the forum sponsor at the top throughout the site is a good idea. A small google adsense in-between the first and second post that will only show to visitors. All members will not see this unless your not logged in.

Still looking at features to add to the list for supporters.

Still goto do some code adjustments for it to all work so there might be some bugs along the way :/

LAz

peter57
28-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm a relative newbie here, and one of the things that attracted me to the forum was the genuine warmth and helpfulness of the members.

I think if the first thing I encountered was a request for donations then I may not have stayed. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are costs involved that must be covered somehow.

I would much prefer to see more advertising on the site. On forums like this I think that is to be expected these days. I wouldn't want the advertising to be too intrusive, but I think adverts can actually be very useful: e.g. finding suppliers in a particular area; information about new products, etc.

I also frequent the "RunRyder" forum: RunRyder RC Helicopter Community and Forum (http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/home/). Lots of advertising here, but it doesn't detract from the forum content.

If you create multiple tiers of membership you need to ensure that you don't create a "them and us" attitude.

vince
28-05-2014, 12:20 PM
its not some much a them and us but a us and then vince lol

Darrens koi
28-05-2014, 01:43 PM
I think it's a great idea and a good way to generate revenue to pay running costs ect would it not be a good idea to contact some of the big koi dealers suppliers ect then charge a yearly fee and give them an authorised section where they can advertise special offers ie bank hol special or if they have a new product coming out ect discount for paid members this way you may get an even better response to a yearly subscription
I like the sound of the live chat box we have that on a car forum I use

lazarus
28-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Maybe just me but Id rather see less adverts for a better experience. Maybe a rewording from gold member to forum supporter ? or something so its less them and us.

I think if the first thing I encountered was a request for donations then I may not have stayed. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are costs involved that must be covered somehow.

Im sure I can do it in such away that it wouldn't be intrusive.

I think it's a great idea and a good way to generate revenue to pay running costs ect would it not be a good idea to contact some of the big koi dealers suppliers ect then charge a yearly fee and give them an authorised section where they can advertise special offers ie bank hol special or if they have a new product coming out ect discount for paid members this way you may get an even better response to a yearly subscription
I like the sound of the live chat box we have that on a car forum I use

Tried email phoning and even posting nobody seems to want it. I dont understand as the amount of targeted traffic this site gets is massive you would think they would be fighting over it. But its not the case..

LAz

Nik bate
28-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Count me in too:-)

Nik bate
28-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Oh and what we looking at payment wise something secure like paypal:-)?

vince
28-05-2014, 08:16 PM
i have a spare kidney if that helps lol

lazarus
28-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Yea paypal is easiest and secure.
Vince. Dibs on the kidney.

Nik bate
28-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Hope you like them like your onions:-) lol

JohnKitching
29-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Maybe just me but Id rather see less adverts for a better experience. Maybe a rewording from gold member to forum supporter ? or something so its less them and us.

Im sure I can do it in such away that it wouldn't be intrusive.

Tried email phoning and even posting nobody seems to want it. I dont understand as the amount of targeted traffic this site gets is massive you would think they would be fighting over it. But its not the case..

LAz

Laz, have you thought about looking who's advertising in the Koi mags and emailing them a comparison of how many people would read an ad on your site vs the mag ... best of all here's the price!?
That approach seems to be working quite well for radio advertising.

James82
29-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep, it's a good idea. I am/have been a member of a few car forums over the years and they all do something similar. Can easily make the cost of membership back just in discounts so is well worth it for the member, forum and retailer.

CheekyTancho
29-05-2014, 08:56 PM
So we can support now ? :)

lazarus
29-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes it should all be working now.

LAz

Nik bate
29-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Me and the wife are talking about it so this might take a while!!(where's our bank card love)!!!

CheekyTancho
29-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Done.
Feels good to support the forum! :D

lazarus
29-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks Mike for your support
Did it all work OK without any hitches ?

Thanks
LAz

CheekyTancho
29-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Was very smooth.

Couldn't fault it. ;)

Dave Collins
30-05-2014, 07:36 AM
What about a donation link, no perks, less hassle to set up, people can contribute what they feel appropriate.

Totally agree Dave, I'm sure people will donate to their favorite forum :)

wcvp
30-05-2014, 08:09 AM
I think a option to make a smaller payment every 1/4 would be a good idea for people with less income.

whiskey1944
02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Im in made a one off donation ....will do it next year too

where my logo ?

lazarus
02-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Hiya Whiskey.

The one off donation button just links to paypal. The forum software does not know that the payment has been made. When a donation is made I have started to manually put a little note in under the users name.

The subscribe option links to paypal but uses the inbuilt forum subscribe software which plugs in all the other bits and knows that a subscribed user has access to the members forum and chat room and so on.

Would you like me to reverse the payment for you now and if you wish to subscribe you can if you wish.

Let me know
Cheers

LAz

JohnKitching
03-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Does subscription work with Tapatalk? I only use a browser for the forum very occasionally and I keep forgetting to subscribe!

lazarus
03-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Hiya M8

Yeah the features will be enabled but the chatroom requires a webrowser.

Cheers LAz

whiskey1944
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Yes please lazarus...think i CLICKED the wrong button :o

Wish to donate yearly please.

cheers
terry

lazarus
03-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi Terry.

Please check that should have gone back now

Cheers LAz

whiskey1944
03-06-2014, 03:26 PM
thanks lazarus...now sorted :D :D :D

Pukka
15-07-2014, 11:20 PM
is this the same as the current supporting member section?