PDA

View Full Version : Plant options

Col1969
11-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi all , I've a very bare pond at the moment I've tried some Lilly's before but had trouble with depth can anyone suggest any good pref flowering plant for a 9 x5.5 x 5.5 deep koi pond there's no shelves ( bad idea I see now ) as the wifey want some plant colour . Many thanks all

Ps . the sizes are in feet not meters .

Craig b
12-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi i am the opposite to you as i have 2 shelves in my pond and this year i am sorting my pond out and getting rid of the shelves as my koi just rip up the baskets to get to the plants and i am always picking out ripped apart plant roots, i wouldn't put plants in again with any koi above 10" unless they are well hidden because the koi just eat them lol may be better putting some colour around your pond :)

Seagoon
12-04-2013, 08:23 AM
How about some floating pond baskets ?

Col1969
12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Wifey better get painting then lol , it's all gd I've a spot they carnt get into above sought of 10 and above

Col1969
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
How about some floating pond baskets ?
That's not such a bad idea seagoon could you tell me anywhere in leeds I could get a couple and do I just ask for floating plant baskets

sandy
12-04-2013, 07:30 PM
what sort of edge to your pond could you have some baskets on hangers over the edge which you could have plants in ? :D

legin
12-04-2013, 09:13 PM
When I put a large ornamental cast iron fountain in the middle of my pond, which is 3ft deep, I sat it on a paving slab which was on a plastic dustbin full of shingle with holes at the bottom edge. this raised the fountain and gave it a floating look. Perhaps you could have a form of raised platform for your lillie plants. :)

kind regards,
Nigel

legin
13-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi Col1969,
I have some lillie plant cut offs that you are welcome to, if you are near chelmsford, :)

kind regards,
Nigel

Seagoon
14-04-2013, 06:57 AM
That's not such a bad idea seagoon could you tell me anywhere in leeds I could get a couple and do I just ask for floating plant baskets

I don't know about Leeds, but they are available online from many pond outlets,
and there are YouTube videos as well .

Col1969
14-04-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm not Nigel but many thanks for the offer its appreciated

Col1969
14-04-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm not Nigel but many thanks for the offer its appreciated

Col1969
14-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Cheers for that

Col1969
14-04-2013, 11:54 PM
When I put a large ornamental cast iron fountain in the middle of my pond, which is 3ft deep, I sat it on a paving slab which was on a plastic dustbin full of shingle with holes at the bottom edge. this raised the fountain and gave it a floating look. Perhaps you could have a form of raised platform for your lillie plants. :)

kind regards,
Nigel
That's such a bad idea at all if poss send us a pic or two , I've just been shown a floating platform so I might go with that but the wifey wants a fountain .there great you know husband gets back yard wife gets front ,wife has to put there nose in when yours looks better lol . Wouldn't be without her apart from the back yard that is .

Many thanks for your help though