PDA

View Full Version : Where are your koi up or down

stealth206
14-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi all normally my koi spend alot of the time at the bottom of the pond this time of year but the weather to date is driving them mad they dunno what to do!!
now im loosing fish but my params are fine. theres no sign of anything wrong with them at all???? any one else having the same problems or any advice??? cheers

miles41
14-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm pleased to say that mine are mostly up or at least mid-way most of the time. I am heated though to 10°c and I think this is giving them a more stable environment.

JAY76
14-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi, Has Your Pond Got A Cover To Keep Some Heat In,do You Know The Temp Of The Pond,need To Keep A Stable Water Temp To Help Fish And Hope You Don't Lose Any More

fisherman
14-01-2013, 06:49 PM
If you are losing fish the first thing I would do is check my water perimeters in which you have done what where the readings
Suggest that you do a scrape on 4 koi to see if they have any parasite on them and let us know what the results are

Kanundra
14-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I agree with fisherman, you shouldn't be losing fish.

Mine are active even with the temps at 7d, they eat every other day and swim around when it's sunny.

If your water checks out okay, then you do need some scrapes taking to see what else is going on.

What's the rest of their behaviour like? Any flicking or flashing. Are they clamped up. Is there an obvious excessive mucus layer? A black koi could be greyish, or a white koi would look like it's got red veins... pinked up, stress marks.

I think the sooner you get to the bottom of it the better, you shouldn't lose fish in this weather. Something else is going on there...

stealth206
15-01-2013, 01:13 PM
thanks for the replys looked in again this morning and ive lost yet another fish im re testing everything and will post results soon but its not looking good i cant heat the pond to treat the fish even if i find something wrong so i fear the worst
thanks for all your replys

Roly555
15-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi mate sorry to hear your losing Koi, you need scrapes done asap to understand what's going on, the problem you will experience is the dependant on what you find as many medications will not work below certain temperatures.

What are you pond details, Gallons/ depth/ filter set up etc etc

Roly

stealth206
15-01-2013, 01:30 PM
pond is 9000ltr
55w uv
multi chamber filter oasis 16000
all way over sized

stealth206
15-01-2013, 01:44 PM
just had a good look at the koi cant see anything on it but its alive just lying on its side on the bottom same as the 3 koi and one goldfish before it

stealth206
15-01-2013, 04:18 PM
had a good look at all the fish and its not good alot of the gold fish have white fur over there side and so has one of the koi his scales are slightly extended and his skin has gone slightly pink. same with all the othe white koi there skin is slightly pink?? there are what seem like rashes on some of the other fish. im starting to think its some thing bacterial but the pond has a ph of 6.5 but stable. it defanttly looks like im going to loose some more before this is over. pond temp is 4.2c

Kanundra
15-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Post where you are and perhaps a member can come by as soon as poss. No one wants to lose fish, but you need to know what your'e dealing with.

:(

So sorry...

stealth206
15-01-2013, 04:40 PM
im in cornwall.. just found that the mrs has unplugged the uv must of been off a while could that be it.. or could ph swings cause this ive only got test strips.. got so into marines lately kind of forgot about the pond. what a twat!!!!!!! im paying for it now.

Kanundra
15-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure who is down your way, :(

No, the uv being off wouldn't be the culprit. In my honest opinion, it is a parasite of some sort, but you need to know what before you treat it. Especially as your temps are so low.

viv davis
15-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi. No, I dont think the uv will have anything to do with your fish dying. Most people turn them off in winter. Mine has been switched off and will install a new sleeve and tube in spring and switch it on then x

whiskey1944
15-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I second the above, i`ve always turned off the uv around november until march/april. [ this deals with green water issues]

IMHO.....
I would get scrapes and tests done pronto, move affected fish to their own santary ie tank or inflatable pool and treat according to test results.

Is your pond heated ?
what type of media in filters?
If foam when last changed or cleaned.

something is living somewhere in your system ie water/side walls/filters/ or fish infected.

good luck
whiskey

MonkeyHarris
15-01-2013, 09:20 PM
The only way the uv can affect it is an algae bloom can affect kh and cause ph swings. Your PH seems a bit on the low side. How frequently/much are you changing your water?

It does sound like parasites but you need to cover all base's.

fisherman
19-01-2013, 12:58 PM
You could try this Koi club as 1 of their members Brian Crocker may be able to help you out

Plymouth & District koi club
Meets the first Wednesday of the month at 7.30pmVenueTamar View Community Centre, St Budeaux Contact Sandra Crocker on Tel 01752 210118