PDA

View Full Version : new member, first pond

stickydilema@msn.com
18-04-2012, 04:17 PM
hi all, i have recenly set about building my own pond in my back garden. the dimensions of it are 2.1m length 1.8m width and 1.1m depth. i have it all in place now just need to finish off the stones around the egde. i want to by some small koi for it soon but i am a little confused by what pump/filter would be best and what else i might need.
any help would be gratefully received
alex

Doghouse Riley
18-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi and welcome.

As you say your pond isn't finished, have you got a bottom drain?

Not wishing to sound unkind or dismissive, I'd also suggest that your pond size isn't really suitable for koi.

You should be looking at a minimum of 2000, or even 3000 gallons.

From what you've posted, yours would be well under 1000 gallons.

The problem with small koi is that before you know it they become big koi.

stickydilema@msn.com
18-04-2012, 06:25 PM
No I Do not have a bottom drain. I do have plans to expand in 2 years so koi Will have somewhere to move onto. What is the importance of the bottom drain?

Doghouse Riley
18-04-2012, 07:06 PM
With a bottom drain, regardless of what sort of filter you use, you are taking water from the bottom of the pool together with all the detritus and coarse solids, passing them through the filter and returning quality water to the pool.
As well as the poo you see the fish excrete, you can add to that twice their own body-weight in urine...daily. Without a bottom drain you will get a build up of gunge on the floor of the pool which isn't conducive to the health of your fish.

You say you intend to increase the size of your pool in two years time?

No disrespect but this sounds a bit like a false economy, you may be better waiting until you are able to do the job properly. These things are expensive enough to build once.
I can understand your eagerness to get on with doing something in the meantime, this feeling isn't uncommon with this hobby, we've all been like that at some stage.

miles41
18-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I can understand your eagerness to get on with doing something in the meantime, this feeling isn't uncommon with this hobby, we've all been like that at some stage.

Indeed we have! That was how I felt 18 months or so ago, but it was worth the wait to be able to carry out a 'proper' build rather than just 'extending' the original pond.
It has been said before, but it does become a long term investment, so sometimes it's best to save the pennies and only build once! Whatever we have though, we always want bigger & better, but the main goal is to provide a good, stable environment for the koi :)

stickydilema@msn.com
18-04-2012, 07:26 PM
The reason for the small pond at first is to teach me what I need to know on a small scale.( not such a steep learning curve, was my thinking) I have a friend with a pond vacuum so would doing that regulary make up for the lack of a bottom drain. I am looking at a oase filter or a fish mate both of which exceed what I need

miles41
18-04-2012, 07:35 PM
The reason for the small pond at first is to teach me what I need to know on a small scale.( not such a steep learning curve, was my thinking) I have a friend with a pond vacuum so would doing that regulary make up for the lack of a bottom drain. I am looking at a oase filter or a fish mate both of which exceed what I need

I have a vacuum which I used to use on my old pond, but as the fish grew, it was a daily task in the summer, so you really need to be dedicated! It did become a bit of a bind, but almost got used to it, but wouldn't want to do that forever ;) on the positive side though, it did contribute to daily water changes, as had to top up pond after vacuuming.
A bottom drain though should remove the need for this process as your filters will do the work for you, but then they in turn need maintenance too!
I would suggest lots of reading into the hobby and get out to see some ponds running, all invaluable stuff. We never stop learning and I'm only a novice compared to many others ;)