PDA

View Full Version : My Pond Build Diary

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi all,
I am a new member here, and new to koi keeping, so please be gentle with me :)!
I mentioned in the welcome section the other day that I wouldn't be able to post some pics for a few weeks due to work comittments, well I asked my wife to email me a selection so here goes with my build.
Again as I mentioned the other day, I have made a number of mistakes and I wish I had researched things more, perhaps found this website earlier! My biggest one I feel was not digging down in to the ground enough and building too high above the ground level. Part of this decision was governed by having small children, but when I look at my pond now, I do realise it is way to high. However, I intend to remedy this by building raised decking around it and enclosing the whole pond under a pergola which will have polycarbonate roofing panels on. This will all lead on to a decked seating/dining area etc as part of a landscape project. I have to say landscape project now to get away with the budget - Its not for the pond any more, its landscaping the garden :D
Also, with hindsight, I think I should have gone with a kidney shape but there you go.

This is what I started out with. When we moved to this house this little pond was already there. Over the years I kept a few goldfish and shabumpkins, one or two small koi but did not have much joy with the koi.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Please bear with me, this may take some time!

Having got permission from the missus to go bigger, here is where i was relocating to:

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I was actually thinking of digging this space out by hand, but I got fed up after I had dug the markings out and so I hired a mini digger and man, and a dumper truck. We filled his wagon up three times, and it was good job we did have a digger as we came across an enormous block of concrete. £400 was the charge which I didn't think was too bad for what we shifted.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I then put in my 4 " drain, concreted in place. Now, owing to my job which entails spending 4 weeks at a time out in the North Sea, I had to leave things at this point. I covered it all over with a big sheet :eek:
When I came home to a big hole half filled with water it created more work! had to buy a pump to empty the hole and where I had dug deeper for the footings, these had crumbled away and it was a right mess. Hence I had to fit wood all around to give me a decent place to put my footings in.
I put in around about 10" deep footing with rebar reinforcement.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Next came the blockwork. My mate down the road is a bricky so I employed his services for this bit. Up it went, and we incorporated the skimmer at one end.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I rented a core drill and put two holes in the one end for the pond returns.I then put a couple of inches of sand in the bottom before fitting the underlay.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Next I built myself a box to house my two sequence pumps, uv30 light, 3kw water heater, blagdon weed controller, timer switch, main panel switches and associated pipework etc.
The two sequence pumps are 10000l/hr, one draws water from my filter and returns it back to the pond via a heater, and uv light. the Blagdon weed controller is also located on this circuit. The second of the pumps draws water from the skimmer unit and returns it back to the pond via a stainless steel waterfall. Also shown here is the Nexus 210 filter that I bought.
(The pic of my box was before I fitted the heater)

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Then the liner went in, boy what a job that was. I have to admit I was a bit nervous cutting holes in my liner for the returns, but particularly in way of the 4"drain. I must have put a ton of sealant around this! Worked though, to date i have no leaks.......fingers crossed! Getting the corners of the liner sorted out was a nightmare too.
And then I added the all important ingrediant:

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 03:03 PM
The back end was built up......even higher :( ...... to house my waterfall. i had a problem with waterfall in that when I ran it the water hitting the surface seemed to bounce back on itself and create a terrible slapping noise. I tried lowering it with no joy, I tried having both pumps feed the waterfall, no joy, restricted flow no joy. In the end,I put a small piece of wood at the top of the fall and a tiny piece of plastic hose at the bottom of the fall which split the water in to two. Its not ideal I know but it stopped the row and to be honest, initially i was thinking of putting two small ones in to begin with.........well thats my excuse anyway :D

miles41
15-04-2012, 03:08 PM
That's great progress you've made and a nice large pond too. Well done :D

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Lastly for now, the cappings were put on and the blockwork rendered. Its not the finished article as yet. As i said i have made many a mistake.
I intend to deck around it all so only around 18" of height will show and the pond will be enclosed by a Pergola which will be roofed. Thats this years project I hope!
I just need some more fish now! The goldfish (3) and shabumpkin got put in and I have 4 Koi, two are around 30cm, 1-25cm and a small one.

PS Sorry about quality of this pic

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Just thought I would mention, feedback so far:

The missus calls it "That monstrosity in the garden"

The postman says it looks like a Mausoleum

Please be gentle! Its not finished yet, I keep telling everyone!

go54nke
15-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Cracking job ;)

edit... the height looks fine to me

MarkD
15-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi
The height looks fine to me as well. how high is from the ground? Whenever non koi people saw my pond build,their comment was '' you should make it into a swimming pool'' which I understand is common fare for when building a koi pond.

saltyseadog
15-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi
The height looks fine to me as well. how high is from the ground? Whenever non koi people saw my pond build,their comment was '' you should make it into a swimming pool'' which I understand is common fare for when building a koi pond.

The height above the ground is about 3 feet, but I intend to halve this height with raised decking.

myrahush
23-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Wonderful work because you are able to come up with a beautiful pond.

saltyseadog
26-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I agreed a price today to have the the pond covered with an apex polycarb roofing. The whole thing will sit on posts/roof trusses etc, 10 mtrs long and will lead on to a two stepped height set of decking leading to my conservatory and will also run down the sides of the pond as well. Hopefully it will all look the businees when complete. Work begins when I am next home at the beginning of July.

chris 1974
24-06-2012, 09:52 AM
love your pond looks good nice job

Kanundra
24-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Looks fab, wish we had one like it :) Think I can persuade the other half to build a block one?

teehee. You'll get some other fish soon, I am sure. Once you've got koi it takes over, huge bug!!!

D

saltyseadog
24-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks fab, wish we had one like it :) Think I can persuade the other half to build a block one?

teehee. You'll get some other fish soon, I am sure. Once you've got koi it takes over, huge bug!!!

D

Thankyou for the kind comments.

Yes I think I have got that bug already! But when does it stop costing loads of dosh! :eek:

miles41
24-06-2012, 06:49 PM
But when does it stop costing loads of dosh! :eek:

I don't think it ever does, does it? ;)

Kanundra
24-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Agreed, it never stops costing.

If they're not wanting food, they're wanting treatments, or something else, and if they don't want that, you're off buying some more nice fish :)

miles41
24-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Never a more true word spoken Dawn :D

syseng
24-06-2012, 07:56 PM
great job looking good

paul

saltyseadog
07-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I agreed a price today to have the the pond covered with an apex polycarb roofing. The whole thing will sit on posts/roof trusses etc, 10 mtrs long and will lead on to a two stepped height set of decking leading to my conservatory and will also run down the sides of the pond as well. Hopefully it will all look the businees when complete. Work begins when I am next home at the beginning of July.

This job has still not been started as yet for one reason and another however I am now hoping this will commence in February/March ready for Spring and Summer.

Gavsti555
07-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Looks good. I like the hight mine is 900mm high which means you can get really close to the fish. Mine too is not finished I don't think any pond is as you always want to make it better.

viv davis
07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi. Thats a fantastic pond. Love the waterfall. Very well done. x

saltyseadog
16-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Well my latest phase of the pond build is finally going ahead next week. A 30' x 14' pergola over the top, the top being covered in polycarbonate panels. Decking and hand rails around the sides leading to a decked seating area and an open plan decked area going back to the house.......£9k so I am hoping it all looks the business when finished. I will post daily pics as we progress.

miles41
17-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Omg - at 9k it should look good ;) Looking forward to the pics.

saltyseadog
23-02-2013, 12:11 AM
So here is my pond, laid up for the winter period which I hope will soon be coming to and end - pond temperature at the moment is 6C. Having just returned from Rio where the daily temperatures are around 35C, I can safely say its baltic here!
Work started yesterday on the next stage with concrete footings being layed to which metal brackets will be bolted. These will ultimately house the main pergola posts. 6 posts, creating 5 bays all of which are 1.9m apart - 9.5m in all.
No more work to be done now until Monday when the Pergola will start to take shape.

Kanundra
23-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Wow big temp difference for you there too bet you had a blast though.

Hope to see more pics as it is developed :)

saltyseadog
23-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Not really Dawn, just work. Sounds great -Rio, but to me its just another place on the map. Weather is good though, beats the North Sea, just wish I could bring some of it home for my fishies! Looking forward to my pond build now to enhance what I have at the moment.

Craig b
24-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi the pond looks great you should be very proud of it. Just one question did you lay concrete base over the bottom drain or is it just dirt and sand?
thanks

saltyseadog
24-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks Craig, no there is no concrete base - the drain itself was concreted in to place (see image 4 at the beginning of thread) but at the bottom of the pond it is dirt and 3" of sand which the liner sits on. (Image 7 was just before I put the sand in).

More pics tomorrow of the pergola going up.

saltyseadog
25-02-2013, 06:01 PM
So we are finally up and running. The Main Pergola has been started today.

viv davis
26-02-2013, 06:23 PM
That looks really good. You ve done very well. x :)

saltyseadog
26-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks - mind its not me doing this part of the build! Just a couple for today showing the joists down the sides and the start of some of the decking

miles41
26-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Looking good :D

Nice to see someone with the sun, none here for a week now :( :(

saltyseadog
27-02-2013, 05:56 PM
More decking go down today.

miles41
27-02-2013, 06:41 PM
It's a big project you've got going on there and you'll soon be able to sit out and enjoy it :D

Just a word of caution though, watch those decking boards don't 'butt' tight to your conservatory above damp proof level, leave a gap for water run off.

saltyseadog
28-02-2013, 06:43 PM
It's a big project you've got going on there and you'll soon be able to sit out and enjoy it :D

Just a word of caution though, watch those decking boards don't 'butt' tight to your conservatory above damp proof level, leave a gap for water run off.

Thanks for the info - just a couple more pics for today showing the progression of the boarding. Polycarbonate sheets are coming tomorrow and hopefully will go on Monday: Still to do - more boarding out, all the hand rails / spindles to fit, steps, shaped brackets to fit between the bays, fascia boards at ground level, and box in my water skimmer.

go54nke
28-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Looking very nice ;)

viv davis
28-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Looking very good. I like it. x:)

saltyseadog
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Polycarb roof on today and some more boarding down:

whiskey1944
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
JUST READ YOUR THREAD........ BRILLIANT
pleasure to see a carpentry job well done [ from a retired bench joiner.]

saltyseadog
05-03-2013, 12:00 AM
JUST READ YOUR THREAD........ BRILLIANT
pleasure to see a carpentry job well done [ from a retired bench joiner.]

Thanks for that - I will pass on your comments to the guy doing the job - he was originally a bench joiner too. He also built my house ( it was his before I purchased it). He's very good. Its worth mentioning that all the jointing etc was done down at his workshop and then it all went together like a jigsaw puzzle here!

miles41
05-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Nice neat job with the polycarb, just in time before the rains return!

saltyseadog
05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Nice neat job with the polycarb, just in time before the rains return!

Thanks - yes I believe rain is forecast this week, nice and sunny at the mo though, solar panels kicking in!

Just a small technical question for anyone - I am going to put some guttering along the back edge and I was wondering if I should pipe this into my filter unit. Is this a good idea to have rain water added to the pond like this or would it be better not to do this?

saltyseadog
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Almost there now as far as the build goes - a few more hand rails to go in along the back side. Guttering at the low end of the roof to which this will be piped in to my filter unit. Two sets of steps to go in, and shaped corner brackets to fit between the bays at the top.Lighting.

The missus auxiliriary list:- A 3x2.5m awning to fit on the end beam where it steps up a level.
Gas powered heater
Gas barbecue
Table and chairs
Wood burning stove/thingy

miles41
06-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Looks bigger by the day....amazing :D

go54nke
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks - yes I believe rain is forecast this week, nice and sunny at the mo though, solar panels kicking in!

Just a small technical question for anyone - I am going to put some guttering along the back edge and I was wondering if I should pipe this into my filter unit. Is this a good idea to have rain water added to the pond like this or would it be better not to do this?

I wouldn't run rain water off the roof into the pond, rain water isn't the best as it's usually low in pH and KH and can have other things in it absorbed from the atmosphere. It's ok in moderation but the amount collected from the roof during a heavy rainfall will quite an amount, trickle in and out is the best method so as not to make a rapid change in water chemistry.
I would collect it in a water butt and use it for the garden and plants or cleaning out the filters etc.

saltyseadog
07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't run rain water off the roof into the pond, rain water isn't the best as it's usually low in pH and KH and can have other things in it absorbed from the atmosphere. It's ok in moderation but the amount collected from the roof during a heavy rainfall will quite an amount, trickle in and out is the best method so as not to make a rapid change in water chemistry.
I would collect it in a water butt and use it for the garden and plants or cleaning out the filters etc.

Thanks for that, will route elsewhere then.

Dave Collins
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Definately route eslewhere. The roof will be covered in all sorts of nasty things that will all get washed into the pond, pollution - bird droppings - etc :(

saltyseadog
08-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Just about done. There are some shaped brackets to fit between the bays but these wont be done till mid next week now.
How do you like my little beer glass table which nicely hides my skimmer ;)
Hopefully I will be able to concentrate on my fish now!

miles41
08-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Looks great now it's done, bet you're well pleased :D what are the ables that go into the skimmer?

saltyseadog
08-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Looks great now it's done, bet you're well pleased :D what are the ables that go into the skimmer?

Very pleased with the pergola/decking - just waiting for the corner brackets for each bay now.
Those cables that you can see are air lines from the air pump supplying two small air stones in each corner of the pond. They are temporary routed at the moment. I aim to drill two small holes in the top of the skimmer and have the cables come out into the pond via the throat of the skimmer.

saltyseadog
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
The final pieces were added today in the way of corner brackets between the bays. Next time home I shall seal it all with a clear sealant. Was hoping to get the covers off the pond but this weather is persisting! This time next week I shall be sat on the Copacabana beach in Rio - probably 35C temp!

miles41
11-03-2013, 06:42 PM
This time next week I shall be sat on the Copacabana beach in Rio - probably 35C temp!

It's a hard life eh? :rolleyes: :p

keithatrax
11-03-2013, 07:00 PM
The final pieces were added today in the way of corner brackets between the bays. Next time home I shall seal it all with a clear sealant. Was hoping to get the covers off the pond but this weather is persisting! This time next week I shall be sat on the Copacabana beach in Rio - probably 35C temp!

very nice :cool:

markf1fan
11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
looks awesome, a very good job.

saltyseadog
11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
It's a hard life eh? :rolleyes: :p

Yes, someones got to do it ;)

saltyseadog
10-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Added some lighting to the pergola area, also fitted an electric awning on the end. A bit more lighting to do (two spots on the top over the water fall) and then we are just about done.

miles41
11-05-2013, 07:34 AM
All still looking good as ever. I assuming the slight cloudiness in the water is a result of your 'accident' with the cuprinol, hopefully it'll clear soon for you. :)

saltyseadog
11-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Interesting point about the cloudiness - I dont think it is a result of my mishap. The water has been a little cloudy for a while and yet I have done a few water changes particularly in light of my mishap. When I carry out a regular water change I usually drop the level around 6", then top up. My UV light is permanently on, new bulb approximately 9 months ago. My Blagdon weed controller is on. Filter is backflushed once a week. Is there more I should be doing to get clearer water? Perhaps larger volumes of water change? I will be hoovering up the bottom on Monday.

Gavin
11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Great work mate...Love the woodwork....

miles41
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Interesting point about the cloudiness - I dont think it is a result of my mishap. The water has been a little cloudy for a while and yet I have done a few water changes particularly in light of my mishap. When I carry out a regular water change I usually drop the level around 6", then top up. My UV light is permanently on, new bulb approximately 9 months ago. My Blagdon weed controller is on. Filter is backflushed once a week. Is there more I should be doing to get clearer water? Perhaps larger volumes of water change? I will be hoovering up the bottom on Monday.

Must admit, you seem to be doing everything right. The only thing I can think of, is maybe change your UV bulb as it may have lost it's effectiveness 9 months down the line? Just a thought.

amphibian
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Great pics with the lights on! Awesome job:)

saltyseadog
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Must admit, you seem to be doing everything right. The only thing I can think of, is maybe change your UV bulb as it may have lost it's effectiveness 9 months down the line? Just a thought.

Yes, I think I will invest in a new bulb, hoovered the bottom out yesterday so the bottom is now clean - hate that job, always get a good soaking!

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

saltyseadog
19-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Nice day today so finally broke out the patio furniture! Power on the electric awning now and a further two spots fitted next to the waterfall. Finished applying a "natural" decking oil to the woodwork......it felt like painting the Forth bridge at times! The barbecue arrives on Wednesday, sadly I will have returned back to sea so I will not get the benefit from that for another month now!

saltyseadog
20-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Finally bought a new fish today, a Koromo Koi approx 18". Saw him a few days ago and I couldnt resist in the end. Well its about time I actually started putting something "in" to the pond!
Pics are not the best, apologies!

miles41
21-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Always nice to add to your brood ;)

Garry64
23-05-2013, 05:23 PM
good wood work. nice pond. lucky you with a wife to say go bigger....Garry64