PDA

View Full Version : temp pond build

welsh_koi
03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello all,

I am going to be building a temporary holding pond out of wood and liner.

Question 1) what should i use to treat the wood to make sure it is waterproof and safe for the fish?

Question 2) i am thinking of using loft insulation in-between the boards as it is going to be 100% above ground. Do you reckon that it will be safe to use it even though it wont be in contact with the water?

It will be rectangular in shape (size 6ft (L) 4ft (W) and 3.5ft (D) not appropriate for a long term thing for my koi but will be long term for my goldfish)

I know some might say that the pressure from the water will be to much for a 100% above ground pond but i have thought bought this long and hard and will be constructing this with loads of 4X4 timber beams

any advice would be welcome

Ash

trickydicky
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi mate
If your using loft insulation i would wrap this in polythene a tape up so not allow any moisture to come into contact as once its in you wont get it out, better still just buy the polystyrene sheets from b&q.
To seal the timber i think the producers of G4 sell something to seal timber however if you overlap the liner why bother ?
I built mine using 4x2 and lined the inside with 8'X4' 11mm thick OSB ,And at 10'x5x3 i aint had problems.
How long you intending it to be used for?

welsh_koi
04-02-2011, 12:34 AM
for the koi it will be a year max but i intend to keep it running a while longer for goldfish and the plants from the pond i have now :)

i was thinking of OSB for inside and out i needed to seal the wood on the outside and the decking boards that will be holding the liner down.

and oh yeah i hadnt thought of polystyrene sheets.

how did you do the corners of the pond did you use 4x4 uprights on top of 4x4

trickydicky
04-02-2011, 07:08 PM
No mate i built each side as a frame then bolted together using stainless steel bolts then anchored through the patio with yet again stainless steel bolts , all the frame was screwed together with stainless steel screws aswell.
Oh and you MUST use a stainless stell screwdiver bit in your drill because a normal bit will scratch the screw heads and then they will start to rust;)

welsh_koi
05-02-2011, 12:26 AM
hey tricky

do you have any pics of your wood pond so i can have a gander at it

ash