PDA

View Full Version : how wood you do it?

Craig b
01-02-2011, 08:22 PM
HI all, I have a pond at moment its 33" below ground with liner and paving stone on top if you know what I mean? I only have goldfish and one little koi in at mo and in the thinkin stage of my next build a bit wider and longer but rising the sides above ground 18 to 20 inch using wood, but how would you do it using wood? Shall I use fence posts every 2ft along then cover both sides in And out with 2inch thick wood. Open to suggestions but wood is the only way I can afford to do it. Thanks a lot any pics of others that have used wood .

miles41
01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Hi Craig,

I have used wood, and would suggest the best way is with 'sleepers' - new ones, as they are cleaner and no oil etc....from there you can still use a liner. I have done this and 'capped' the top with matching size joists to hide the liner at the top. The pressure from the water is then supported.
Something like this...http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/miles412/Pond/100_0258.jpg

Although it's all about to change and be extended.....lol :D

Good luck

Craig b
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks miles what size is yours and is that a plant filter at end of your pond or what filter do you have? Thanks

trickydicky
01-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Craig if money is tight and based on the dimensions in your first post you could build a 18-20 inch frame around the pond using 4x2 timber and use OSB board to line the inside as long as you bolt the frame down onto a concrete collar around the perimeter the pressure of water is concentrated below the ground and not so much on the frame...and to neaten it up clad the exterior with tongue and groove or ship lap...easy peasy:cool:

Craig b
01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
thanks for that tricky, i thought i would be ok doing it like this as i thought most of the wieght/pressure would be below ground but also what is OSB? thanks

trickydicky
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
OSB ,,orient strand board about £11 for a 11 milimetre thick 8ftx4ft sheet from B&Q if you get 4x2 make sure it tanalised (treated) to protect it from our wonderfull british weather you should do with 2 sheets of OSB .
I built my 10ftx5ftx3ft temp pond this way and aint give way and thats straight on top of my patio and not in the ground however i am a carpenter and of course know the ways of using the wood to its best ability:D

koimaster
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM
i know a man that built a whole pond 3 foot high with timber 4" x 4" it didn't last every long as the pressure on the top was trying to make the box like frame lay flat sleepers are the only way i would advise using wood ;)

Craig b
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM
OSB ,,orient strand board about £11 for a 11 milimetre thick 8ftx4ft sheet from B&Q if you get 4x2 make sure it tanalised (treated) to protect it from our wonderfull british weather you should do with 2 sheets of OSB .
I built my 10ftx5ftx3ft temp pond this way and aint give way and thats straight on top of my patio and not in the ground however i am a carpenter and of course know the ways of using the wood to its best ability:D

lol ;) very good you can come and do mine then.

trickydicky
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
would be cheaper to build from concrete blocks than me do it in wood with what my hourly rate is:D :D

trickydicky
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
i know a man that built a whole pond 3 foot high with timber 4" x 4" it didn't last every long as the pressure on the top was trying to make the box like frame lay flat sleepers are the only way i would advise using wood ;)

i take it he was crap at wood work then:D cos mines lasted 8 month now and no signs of movement .and thats with 4x2 and not 4x4

koimaster
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
i couldn't pass judgement on his skills but maybe that is the case, i personally wouldnt take the risk.

miles41
02-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Thanks miles what size is yours and is that a plant filter at end of your pond or what filter do you have? Thanks

Hi Craig
Yes that is a planter at the end...trying to be artistic! not, lol:) It is about 6x4ft and about 3.5ft deep.....for now! I am currently running a bioforce 12000 pressure filter; but when I upsize the pond will probably change to a bead filter and bottom drain.

Craig b
02-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Trickydicky, how did you construct your frame work? Any picks would help ;)