Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Plants through the winter

    Hello guys havnt been on here in sometime hope all is well. I have a couple of plants that il list below. Which I took out the pond and put into a small tub in a pop up green house. Question is they seem to both be dieing off turning dark brown, is this normal? Will they cum back next year or are they actually dieing. IMG_9058.JPGIMG_9059.JPG

    Thanks again


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Rank = Gosai Simon Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    346
    Thanks / Likes
    469
    ?? Most things die off and go brown.
    It's the long wait till spring to find out.

  4. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,999
    Thanks / Likes
    16640
    My Lilly's and iris die off during winter.
    They come back in spring. So there not dead as such. Just the stems and green.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks Scamp Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    My Lilly's and iris die off during winter.
    They come back in spring. So there not dead as such. Just the stems and green.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Cheers fred mate fingers crossed they come back I like abit of green round the pond! Hope you good mate Plants through the winter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Thanks freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Fish View Post
    ?? Most things die off and go brown.
    It's the long wait till spring to find out.
    Cheers mate Plants through the winter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,999
    Thanks / Likes
    16640
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Cheers fred mate fingers crossed they come back I like abit of green round the pond! Hope you good mate Plants through the winter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am good mate. Mine stay out all winter and grow back in spring

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  12. Thanks RS2OOO, Doitsusanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Junior Member Rank = Fry Li-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    4
    Thanks / Likes
    4
    If there are no diseases, everything must come back. Don't worry about it.

  14. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    4,021
    Thanks / Likes
    9210
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Hello guys havnt been on here in sometime hope all is well. I have a couple of plants that il list below. Which I took out the pond and put into a small tub in a pop up green house. Question is they seem to both be dieing off turning dark brown, is this normal? Will they cum back next year or are they actually dieing. IMG_9058.JPGIMG_9059.JPG

    Thanks again


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have they started coming back yet?

  16. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Have they started coming back yet?
    Ones came back completly! And the other is just sprouting! Seem some absolute stunning margin plants that Im interested in not sure if it was you who commented on Fredís pond with the greenish looking bambo not sure the name of it but I was looking at it literally few days before reading that post! Lovely look to it il prob post a few pond pics on here


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,999
    Thanks / Likes
    16640
    Quote Originally Posted by charco123 View Post
    Ones came back completly! And the other is just sprouting! Seem some absolute stunning margin plants that Im interested in not sure if it was you who commented on Fredís pond with the greenish looking bambo not sure the name of it but I was looking at it literally few days before reading that post! Lovely look to it il prob post a few pond pics on here


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mean these lol


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  20. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #11
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Rapleyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Cambs
    Posts
    669
    Thanks / Likes
    730
    Are the plants suspended or on a shelf?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,999
    Thanks / Likes
    16640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapleyr View Post
    Are the plants suspended or on a shelf?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some are and the rest are on the bottom
    Lilly's on bottom iris on bottom. Horse tail
    On a shelf. But have also done time on the bottom.
    All in baskets with pebbles. No soil.
    The thrive of the neutrants in the pond water
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #13
    Member Rank = Tosai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    36
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    So can I ask, when you say pebbles how large? Do you just put few in bottom then build up around the roots ?

  26. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #14
    10mm shingle works for me. Various height baskets, Tesco grocery home delivery baskets work well, you can stack them on top of each other, lined with a bit of Terram.

  28. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #15
    Member Rank = Tosai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    36
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    That's great, thanks

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,999
    Thanks / Likes
    16640
    Quote Originally Posted by Big nige View Post
    So can I ask, when you say pebbles how large? Do you just put few in bottom then build up around the roots ?
    All the pebbles are roughly in size. Of 1/4 inch up to 2 inch. In size. Decent size baskets. I put a layer of about 4 inch pebbles. And add plant. And build around them lol. Works well. The lillys are about 3 inch deep. In the baskets. Everything is now on the bottom. Of the top pond. Took ledges out this spring.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  31. #17
    Member Rank = Tosai Big nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Poole, doset
    Posts
    36
    Thanks / Likes
    63
    Thanks FreddyPlants through the winter

    Sent from my moto e6 play using Tapatalk

  32. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.