Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: new tiddlers

new tiddlers

Got these from Queni koi today, i seem to have gone kujaku mad, really wanted a few nice small goshiki too, but the ones they had didnt quite tick all the boxes for my taste.
    What do you think ? I dont know much at all about selecting tosai, so they might turn into mutts, we will see.
    The Showa are Marusei, the Kujaku from Yamamatsu.

They look like blinking tadpoles in my pond, kinda forgot how small new tosai are, even the smallest of my existing fish makes these look like daphnea , lol.
    I was a bit worried at first as a few of my large fish seemed to be very interested in them and I was envisaging them ending up as Chagoi food, everything seems to be calming down now though.

Attached Images Attached Images

Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion john1's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    Lovely choice David,like the large one and the one in the middle.

Would like a visit to Q/k but its 2 1/2 hrs for me.
    John

3. Thanks familyman, Ajm, anne, freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    Large one and the little one in the middle are my favourites, both lovely and I'd struggle to choose a favourite between them.... unless they are from the same spawning in which case I'd go for the big one lol!

I like heavily marked showas but have a feeling these showa's have even more sumi to come through.

Looking forward to seeing them again in September!

Hope you bought pellets small enough for them! In the time it takes them to eat one big pellet all the rest of the food will have been gobbled up by your big 'uns.

5. Thanks freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper, familyman Thanked / Liked this Post
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion freddyboy's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    like all of them david. some good looking fish there mate

7. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, familyman Thanked / Liked this Post
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Frimley Koi keeper's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    like all of them david. some good looking fish there mate
    I'm with you there Fred, couldn't choose either.

Good luck with them all David

Be interesting to see them again later in the year to see how they are developing.

9. Thanks Ajm, familyman, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Large one and the little one in the middle are my favourites, both lovely and I'd struggle to choose a favourite between them.... unless they are from the same spawning in which case I'd go for the big one lol!

I like heavily marked showas but have a feeling these showa's have even more sumi to come through.

Looking forward to seeing them again in September!

Hope you bought pellets small enough for them! In the time it takes them to eat one big pellet all the rest of the food will have been gobbled up by your big 'uns.
    Yeah your right, my trouble is I have difficulty seeing past what the fish looks like here and now, I can see where sumi will come but its still so hard to imagine what they will turn out like, especially when your looking at a tank with hundreds in, it sends you boz'eyed !
    Tbh with the 3 showa, it was really the one that is bottom left in the picture that caught my eye, as soon as I saw it, it has really interesting markings ( at least in my eyes) that go down on to its sides that the picture doesn't really show. They were 45 quid each, or 3 for 90 quid and I only really wanted that one, but I thought might as well get 2 more at that price, good experience seeing how they develop.
    They are all swimming about with the pack now, and eating, so im much more relaxed, they were doing flying fish impressions initially when the big ones went near them.

11. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    I'm with you there Fred, couldn't choose either.

Good luck with them all David

Be interesting to see them again later in the year to see how they are developing.
    yes I took loads of pics so I can compare at the end of the season, im sure ive got a lot to learn.
    I hope the season goes well, and I will post some pics up of them in about 6 months time.

13. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
    Thanks / Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    yes I took loads of pics so I can compare at the end of the season, im sure ive got a lot to learn.
    I hope the season goes well, and I will post some pics up of them in about 6 months time.
    Be good to see

Just hope the food bill doesn't get too excessive with all those extra mouths to feed

15. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    lovely looking fish those, need to sort a tank out and get a few fish, fed up of just running around different places looking at other people fish

17. Thanks john1, familyman, Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
    Senior Member Rank = Supreme Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Thanks / Likes
    Yeah your right, my trouble is I have difficulty seeing past what the fish looks like here and now.
    Exactly the same here mate....just can't help myself.

Also, I always go for pattern over body shape (within reason), yet bad patterns can still look stunning when the rest of the koi is perfect. I mean, find a picture online showing all the previous grand champions - hardly any have the "standard" patterns that we're all told we should go for.

If there's one thing I've learned about your fish its that they will be a hell of a lot bigger by the end of summer, and maybe once they've grown the colours will look a lot more spread out.

Genuinely looking forward to seeing them again in the future.

The Ochiba's you grew last year looked fantastic.

19. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, familyman, Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
    thanks, i still have 2 of those 3 ochibas, they're both doing well, id estimate they are around the 45 cm mark.

Tbh im gonna move a few on when every bodys water temps have come up.

A few of the karashigoi from last year, 1 of the ochibas, 1 or 2 more, and maybe even an 80 cm chag

David

21. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, Tom Koi, RS2OOO, freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Exactly the same here mate....just can't help myself.

Also, I always go for pattern over body shape (within reason), yet bad patterns can still look stunning when the rest of the koi is perfect. I mean, find a picture online showing all the previous grand champions - hardly any have the "standard" patterns that we're all told we should go for.

If there's one thing I've learned about your fish its that they will be a hell of a lot bigger by the end of summer, and maybe once they've grown the colours will look a lot more spread out.

Genuinely looking forward to seeing them again in the future.

The Ochiba's you grew last year looked fantastic.

I hope they are a hell of a lot bigger, but the last few years ive concentrated on growing chags and the like which usually grow fast anyway, given the right conditions. Gosanke don't usually grow quite as fast do they, so im unsure what to expect tbh.
    Ill give them every chance thats for sure.

23. Thanks freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
    Thanks / Likes
    I hope they are a hell of a lot bigger, but the last few years ive concentrated on growing chags and the like which usually grow fast anyway, given the right conditions. Gosanke don't usually grow quite as fast do they, so im unsure what to expect tbh.
    Ill give them every chance thats for sure.
    LOL Give them some of this, body builder's swear by it and if that don't work there is always steroids but may have to watch in case any of them get roid rage LOL -

https://www.theproteinworks.com/whey...hoCiIAQAvD_BwE

25. Thanks familyman Thanked / Liked this Post