Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 148
  1. #121
    i made a huge mistake in last 2 months by getting rid of my superbead 8000 and bio sieve (cracked base) 250 micron screen.

    i replace with evolution equa commercial settlement tanks fitted with answer 410 100 micron screen, upgraded pump and 74 micron screen with bio tank filled with approx 120 ltrs of k1 micro im not sure if this system pre-dated nexus filters but anyway i regret removing the bead filter due to the water clarity quickly became a major issue to point where you could only see approx 1 - 1.5 metres through the water .
    ive now added a econobead eb50 after the bio and return pump and the water clarity had within 1 day returned to being cystal clear but now flow rate is significantly reduced due to the bead filter max flow rate, now fresh fish poo is floating in the water and large amounts of fish waste collecting in 1 corner of the pond .
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #122
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    EA have come back and told me I need to run two EA 55w UV's in series to sort out my fines problem.

    Unbelievable.

  4. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    EA have come back and told me I need to run two EA 55w UV's in series to sort out my fines problem.

    Unbelievable.
    Lol no they know what they are talking about???? Ask for a freebie as your having issues with their products , It sounds like the end of a bell is replying to you in my opinion you could have a thousand watt uv it won't fix a mechanical issue

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks RS2OOO, Ajm, Gray, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #124
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    590
    Thanks / Likes
    889

    Nexus 220 fines issues

    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    EA have come back and told me I need to run two EA 55w UV's in series to sort out my fines problem.

    Unbelievable.
    Errr, so why didnít they just say run a 110w from their range?!?!?

    Because from what Iíve seen my EA 110w is just two 55w UVís looped. Bizarre... Nexus 220 fines issues

    I have to say the EA 110w does work well. For me anyways.

    That said, Iím a newbie to this and even to me a UV ainít gonna sort out issues with fines unless Iíve missed something...
    Last edited by Gray; 11-07-2019 at 10:36 PM.

  8. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #125
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    Think the guy is just trying to put me off the scent.

    He replies quickly but ignores the bits where I question the capability of their products.

    To re-summarise the advice so far, bearing in mind each recommendation is in response to me questioning the capability of the Nexus and its failure to filter out fine particles, in chronological order.....


    • Reduce pump flow to 6000 lph.
    • Decrease filter maintenance
    • Don't clean the Nexus for 3 weeks.
    • Add a purge valve to the bottom drain run
    • Carry out weekly water changes
    • Get an automated Nexus cleaning system and set it to clean twice a day
    • Replace the UV with a larger one
    • Move the UV lower down (its already low down)
    • Add a 2nd EA 55w UV in series
    • Add some blanket weed treatment (I don't have blanket weed).


    Not a single reply has even acknowledged the possibility that the Nexus is to blame!


    Made some enquiries about a Draco today. There will be a 10% off offer in September. I said I'll buy one now if they can do 10% off now.

    Installed a Macerator to the Nexus outlet today.
    On Tuesday I'll add another course of blocks to the filter pit for height clearance.
    After pay day I'll start buying pipework for a mains water supply.

  10. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, Feline Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #126
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion andikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    wakefield,west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,192
    Thanks / Likes
    3064
    The one thing they havent said which in my opinion solves a lot of nexus fines issues is. A slab of japmat full height and width vertically in the exit slot about 2 inch behind the steel seperation grid.leave in for a week then wash weekly in tap water.and watch the clarity improve massively....andi

  12. Thanks freddyboy, RS2OOO, Stuffyrat Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #127
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks / Likes
    2596
    Dose the clay have any effect on the fines with the nexus ??

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Johnathan

  14. Thanks freddyboy, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Weird response based on what you told them..flogging a dead horse RS there!...as already said I think the Nexus is a reasonable filter, and much better than many out there..but will not give you fine free water, if thatís what you want (and I did/do). The Bio side works well for me though alongside the Draco..
    I will second that mate

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  16. Thanks Scamp, RS2OOO Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #129
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    Quote Originally Posted by andikoi View Post
    The one thing they havent said which in my opinion solves a lot of nexus fines issues is. A slab of japmat full height and width vertically in the exit slot about 2 inch behind the steel seperation grid.leave in for a week then wash weekly in tap water.and watch the clarity improve massively....andi
    Leave for a Week?

    After 2.5 hours the outlet was totally blocked and the pump was whining!

    Admittedly that wasn't Jap mat, I used filter floss.

  18. Thanks dave_vr6, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #130
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Dose the clay have any effect on the fines with the nexus ??

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    I think so.
    Mentioned the issue to a Dealer and he offered me a load of free clay. I said no, then thought afterwards realised that might be why he was offering it.

  20. Thanks dave_vr6, Ajm, Stuffyrat Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #131
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    They are ringing back about the Draco today.

    I said, if I'm very quiet on the phone or just giving yes/no answers it means the missus is in listening distance

  22. Thanks freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #132
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Nanasai blue harbour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    In the town with the bent spire
    Posts
    654
    Thanks / Likes
    352
    I donít personally like using clay as it although it does clear up the water it seems to coat everything in the fine muck that was suspended in the water!

    Noticed this when I had my Draco (after a treatment the water went a weird colour), so I bought some clay thinking it might help clear things up, and it did help, but then everywhere in the nexus and Draco ended up coated in a very fine brown muck that was fine enough to have passed through the screen of the drum!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #133
    Filter floss or wadding is a different animal to jap mat.

    I have had most ea filters over the years. I like the nexus but it is not without its flaws. I have jap mat on the return mainly to stop escaped K1.

    Never had an issue with the company until I bought a new UV and had to deal with their customer services and that's when decided I wouldn't buy another EA product and I haven't since.

    I can leave the jap mat for a month if I wanted. Even with it in you can see what makes it to sieve in shower.

    I have had gin clear water in past with nexus followed by their k1 bead filter. There is ways to do it without a drum. Crystal clear water has been around for years in the hobby, drums are new.

    I plan to get there again but pond is new so it will take time. I use KoiMasters Advantage religiously once a month in summer at 1.5 x recommended dose.

    If you pm me pond volume and address I will send you some. Works great on reducing fines and sumi improvement.

    Your answers to your problems will not be found by contacting EA customer services.

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  26. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #134
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    I like those air valves Dave.

    The ones with screws in seem to rust/seize/leak after a while and are expensive to keep replacing.


    Negotiated a good deal on a Draco..... Ordered!

    Used Credit Card.... not sure how I'm gonna cover that off yet, but have a Month to think about it lol.

  28. Thanks dave_vr6, freddyboy, blue harbour, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    I like those air valves Dave.

    The ones with screws in seem to rust/seize/leak after a while and are expensive to keep replacing.


    Negotiated a good deal on a Draco..... Ordered!

    Used Credit Card.... not sure how I'm gonna cover that off yet, but have a Month to think about it lol.
    The drum is the way to go as waste is removed instantly and not left in the water.

    Keep us posted

    Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk
    Built not bought!

  30. Thanks freddyboy, blue harbour, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #136
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,564
    Thanks / Likes
    1386
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Think the guy is just trying to put me off the scent.

    He replies quickly but ignores the bits where I question the capability of their products.

    To re-summarise the advice so far, bearing in mind each recommendation is in response to me questioning the capability of the Nexus and its failure to filter out fine particles, in chronological order.....


    • Reduce pump flow to 6000 lph.
    • Decrease filter maintenance
    • Don't clean the Nexus for 3 weeks.
    • Add a purge valve to the bottom drain run
    • Carry out weekly water changes
    • Get an automated Nexus cleaning system and set it to clean twice a day
    • Replace the UV with a larger one
    • Move the UV lower down (its already low down)
    • Add a 2nd EA 55w UV in series
    • Add some blanket weed treatment (I don't have blanket weed).


    Not a single reply has even acknowledged the possibility that the Nexus is to blame!


    Made some enquiries about a Draco today. There will be a 10% off offer in September. I said I'll buy one now if they can do 10% off now.

    Installed a Macerator to the Nexus outlet today.
    On Tuesday I'll add another course of blocks to the filter pit for height clearance.
    After pay day I'll start buying pipework for a mains water supply.
    You sure it isn't just that you have fish in the pond?

    Personally I have always thought that the flap valve on the 220 was a backwards step, known of a few folk that have had issues with fines and gone back to the original stem and plug with some success in reducing fines.

  32. Thanks dave_vr6 Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #137
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    The only single reason I've not already got a drum is due to the noise.

    Garden/shed/garage thefts are a big problem round here, and as I'm a Semi with the filter pit backing onto an alley I'd have thought we are more susceptible than most.

    Going to try and sound deaden the filter pit, but its so tight for space in there even 15mm insulation board might be too much. The Nexus has exactly 15mm clearance against 2 walls.

    Don't worry, the picture thread will be complemented by some Draco pics within the next fortnight

  34. Thanks dave_vr6, freddyboy, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #138
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    You sure it isn't just that you have fish in the pond?
    .

    Not according to EA.... their words exactly:

    ".....the koi are not the issue really with regard to green fines in the water......"

  36. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  37. #139
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks / Likes
    3210
    Davej's jumbo fry for sale.... £250 each.

    Have a Draco to pay for!


    Did you see the latest pics Dave in the last PM?

    They were taken on Tuesday.... and they're bigger still now and more colour changes. Thoroughly enjoyed raising these, get excited every morning to see what changes have taken place.

    Will post up a development thread for them in the next week or 2 if you don't mind. I've learned a lot from these and hopefully it will be interesting for others too.

    EDIT: They will take standard sized 3mm pellets now.
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 12-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.

  38. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  39. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    They are ringing back about the Draco today.

    I said, if I'm very quiet on the phone or just giving yes/no answers it means the missus is in listening distance
    haha brill

  40. Thanks Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.