Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY76 View Post
    Are the ph controllers and probes reliable?have heard bad things about the dosing pump be unreliable not sure if this a problem you have found,do you get much of a ph swing though the day?

    sods law I have shit water and poor pressure so would need two pumps one for4040 and top up ro.

    how do you pefilter your top up ro unit.
    The PH controller works well during the feeding season. during the winter period when the conductivity of the water is low “TDS sub 30” it can throw a false reading… to overcome this I have a dosing pump set on a timer to dose bi card at regular intervals during darkness just in case…
    Providing you don’t overdose on the bi carb during the night the PH swing is minimal something in the range of 0.02-0.05

  2. #22
    Moderator Rank = Grand Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,467
    Thanks / Likes
    1887
    If your water pressure is really poor you could consider getting a second 4040 for the top up. They can produce a reasonable output even with very low incoming pressure. Of course the housing and membrane are more costly, but you would save on electricity costs and the cost of the second booster pump.

    I am considering when I've changed my 4040 over to pond recycling actually running a plain mains top up through the dechlorinator unit. It would cause the GH in the pond to rise a bit, but the recycling RO would be taking it out again.

    I was wondering whether running it that way would mean the KH stayed high enough not to need to bicarb dose, or to dose considerably less. I intend to try it that way initially and if I'm not happy with overall pH and TDS levels I can always get a second RO membrane for the top up.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    The PH controller works well during the feeding season. during the winter period when the conductivity of the water is low “TDS sub 30” it can throw a false reading… to overcome this I have a dosing pump set on a timer to dose bi card at regular intervals during darkness just in case…
    Providing you don’t overdose on the bi carb during the night the PH swing is minimal something in the range of 0.02-0.05
    Cheers Keith

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    If your water pressure is really poor you could consider getting a second 4040 for the top up. They can produce a reasonable output even with very low incoming pressure. Of course the housing and membrane are more costly, but you would save on electricity costs and the cost of the second booster pump.

    I am considering when I've changed my 4040 over to pond recycling actually running a plain mains top up through the dechlorinator unit. It would cause the GH in the pond to rise a bit, but the recycling RO would be taking it out again.

    I was wondering whether running it that way would mean the KH stayed high enough not to need to bicarb dose, or to dose considerably less. I intend to try it that way initially and if I'm not happy with overall pH and TDS levels I can always get a second RO membrane for the top up.
    i think I have about 35 psi on my main water pressure do you think that would run a 4040 unit?
    i have a old 1200 gallon ro unit that is in good order but membranes are hard to replace now so will use that to reduce pond water TDS ,Gh etc.
    like the idea of running a small amount of mains water to see if it will give enough kh to maintain a low ish ph.

    Are you far away from starting to recycling yet? how’s your water bill?
    cheers jay

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY76 View Post
    Cheers Keith
    Sorry I forgot to mention my pre filters for mains top up consist of a big blue carbon filter and a 5 micron sediment.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention my pre filters for mains top up consist of a big blue carbon filter and a 5 micron sediment.
    Thanks for that info.
    i have a 1200 gallon ro unit that’s not been used for 18 months do you know how to clean the membranes they were working well before I stop using them ,a bit worried about bad bacteria in the membranes.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    If your water pressure is really poor you could consider getting a second 4040 for the top up. They can produce a reasonable output even with very low incoming pressure. Of course the housing and membrane are more costly, but you would save on electricity costs and the cost of the second booster pump.

    I am considering when I've changed my 4040 over to pond recycling actually running a plain mains top up through the dechlorinator unit. It would cause the GH in the pond to rise a bit, but the recycling RO would be taking it out again.

    I was wondering whether running it that way would mean the KH stayed high enough not to need to bicarb dose, or to dose considerably less. I intend to try it that way initially and if I'm not happy with overall pH and TDS levels I can always get a second RO membrane for the top up.
    Hi Lara
    what is your GH, KH out the tap?
    I have tried to dose with my mains water instead of using bi carb but in order to maintain PH 7 I may as well not run RO on the pond as my water is very hard GH of 240ppm.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY76 View Post
    Thanks for that info.
    i have a 1200 gallon ro unit that’s not been used for 18 months do you know how to clean the membranes they were working well before I stop using them ,a bit worried about bad bacteria in the membranes.
    have a look through this thread 4040 membrane output? i clean my 4040 once a year.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by keithatrax View Post
    have a look through this thread 4040 membrane output? i clean my 4040 once a year.
    Cheers for the link

  10. Thanks keithatrax Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:57 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.