Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 821 to 836 of 836
  1. #821
    Thanks. eventually the levels reach the same on both clean and dirty sides but takes a couple of minutes. the skimmer line runs straight into the drum as does the BD.

  2. #822
    Quote Originally Posted by -Craig- View Post
    Thanks. eventually the levels reach the same on both clean and dirty sides but takes a couple of minutes. the skimmer line runs straight into the drum as does the BD.
    Minutes? I was hoping you’d say seconds,
    With a clean screen, they should equalize almost instaneously. A few minutes suggests to me there is something blocking the screen.

  3. #823
    Also what’s after the drum? Is it just a pump going directly back to the pond or do you have another filter in between?

  4. #824
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
    Okay but when the pump is off is the water on the dirty side level with the water on the clean side?

    skimmer is that feeding into the drum or not?
    Hi the skimmer is fed straight to the drum as is the BD the levels when the pump is switched of do get to the same level but it takes a couple of minutes to get there.

  5. #825
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
    Also what’s after the drum? Is it just a pump going directly back to the pond or do you have another filter in between?
    sorry double posted. after the drum I have both outlets teed of to go to the bead filter and the UV the UV line goes to two outlets at one of the pond and the return form the bead goes to another two outlets at the other end but I have one of each turned of as there does not seem to be any flow. probably due to the fact that the pump is on the lowest setting.

  6. #826
    Okay

    Heres what I think - I think it’s possibly a problem with your screens - I’m just going by the “it takes a couple of minutes (to equalize water levels on dirty with clean sides)” comment.

    i think it’s best test each component of the drum in isolation to see what may be th root of the problem.

    so to test the screen - (you may want to isolate your bead filter first to prevent it from getting dirty; you may also want to reroute your pressure pump intake to a clean bucket of water to keep your nozzles clean) - open the bypass on the drum filter to allow water from the dirty side into the clean side; make sure the sensor is completely covered in water, then gradually restrict the water inflow until the water level drops below your sensor level and triggers a cleaning cycle. If the drum cleans itself then the problem isn’t with the sensor or the motor - it’s your screen.

  7. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #827
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffee View Post
    Okay

    Heres what I think - I think it’s possibly a problem with your screens - I’m just going by the “it takes a couple of minutes (to equalize water levels on dirty with clean sides)” comment.

    i think it’s best test each component of the drum in isolation to see what may be th root of the problem.

    so to test the screen - (you may want to isolate your bead filter first to prevent it from getting dirty; you may also want to reroute your pressure pump intake to a clean bucket of water to keep your nozzles clean) - open the bypass on the drum filter to allow water from the dirty side into the clean side; make sure the sensor is completely covered in water, then gradually restrict the water inflow until the water level drops below your sensor level and triggers a cleaning cycle. If the drum cleans itself then the problem isn’t with the sensor or the motor - it’s your screen.
    Thanks Toffee. I will give that a go when I get home on Friday. That sounds like a perfect way to test it. Why don't I think of these things?

  9. #828
    Moderator Rank = Grand Champion Feline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    4,914
    Thanks / Likes
    2449
    From what you're saying it has to be the screen really.

    I remember a while back there was an issue with a few drums (can't remember which make) that came with some kind of a waxy coating from the factory on the screens (I think from memory it was beginning/end of a production roll that caused the issue).

    People with affected drums had to pressure wash the screens to remove the coating, and after that the screens were fine. Just wondering if yours could possibly be affected in that way. If it was just biofilm buildup then really the citric acid should have cured it. But if you have a Karsher it would be a relatively easy theory to test?

  10. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #829
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Supreme Champion Davej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,265
    Thanks / Likes
    613
    Agree that it must be the screen, worth checking the nozzles are clean and working effectively though.


    Dave

  12. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #830
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    From what you're saying it has to be the screen really.

    I remember a while back there was an issue with a few drums (can't remember which make) that came with some kind of a waxy coating from the factory on the screens (I think from memory it was beginning/end of a production roll that caused the issue).

    People with affected drums had to pressure wash the screens to remove the coating, and after that the screens were fine. Just wondering if yours could possibly be affected in that way. If it was just biofilm buildup then really the citric acid should have cured it. But if you have a Karsher it would be a relatively easy theory to test?
    thanks Feline. When you see it in black and white it makes so much sense that it has to be the screen, although I did discount that due to soaking in acid the other week. I will take it out and give it a good jet wash at the weekend and maybe another soak to be 100% sure it is clean,
    this may even solve the skimmer issue as with the clean side not filling I am thinking that the flow,into the drum would be minimal due to drum and pond being at the same level.
    thanks again.

  14. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #831
    Quote Originally Posted by Davej View Post
    Agree that it must be the screen, worth checking the nozzles are clean and working effectively though.


    Dave
    thanks Dave, the nozzles are spitting out plenty of water when it does clean, I have the wash pump connected to a water butt that is constantly topped up with fresh tap water so that is clean and does not get any crud in it.

  16. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #832
    Quote Originally Posted by Feline View Post
    From what you're saying it has to be the screen really.

    I remember a while back there was an issue with a few drums (can't remember which make) that came with some kind of a waxy coating from the factory on the screens (I think from memory it was beginning/end of a production roll that caused the issue).

    People with affected drums had to pressure wash the screens to remove the coating, and after that the screens were fine. Just wondering if yours could possibly be affected in that way. If it was just biofilm buildup then really the citric acid should have cured it. But if you have a Karsher it would be a relatively easy theory to test?
    your spot on feline that was mine. I pressure washed it down and ran ok

  18. Thanks Feline, Scamp Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #833
    Thanks for everyone’s advice. I took the screen out yesterday jet washed it three times then soaked it in a kilo of citric acid for 4 hours jet washed again and now I am pulling about 25000 litres an hour through (based on pump speeds) I added a 20000 variflow to run the bead only and have that sat at 70% and the original 30000 is sat at 65% and is just running direct to the UV. Now have masses of flow on the top and bottom of the pond, the water is clearing up nicely and the skimmer is working a treat too.

  20. Thanks Toffee, freddyboy, anne, john1, Feline Thanked / Liked this Post
  21. #834
    Glad to hear that Craig

  22. Thanks freddyboy, -Craig-, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  23. #835
    Same here mate. Glad alls well

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  24. Thanks -Craig-, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #836
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    3,175
    Thanks / Likes
    3446
    Glad your sorted and happy Craig,said it was the screen.
    John

  26. Thanks freddyboy, -Craig- Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:25 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.