Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088

    Water leaching in

    Hi lads and lasses, is there anything I can coat walls of pond with to stop water leaching in from the ground around the pond walls, seems to becoming under the first course of blocks on top of the concrete, thinking of bitumen, gonna put insulation boards then fibreglass, but need to stop this water and let it dry out.

    Any advice, recommendations welcome ???

    Thanks



  2. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #2
    That’s a pain, assume you e got blocks up so can’t tank it now?

  4. Thanks Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstiles999 View Post
    That’s a pain, assume you e got blocks up so can’t tank it now?
    Yeah all blocks up, just thought I'd maybe able to seal it all from the inside, to stop the wet stuff coming through, bitumen would probably do it, but is there a chance of that leaching into the pond water through the insulation boards and fibreglass??

  6. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #4
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Jussai bowsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks / Likes
    788
    need a lower hole on the outside to sump pump away the ground water, has neath had rain that the other side of the bridge has avoided for a the last few weeks?
    the slow pond build thread

  8. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsaw View Post
    need a lower hole on the outside to sump pump away the ground water, has neath had rain that the other side of the bridge has avoided for a the last few weeks?
    Been fine since Monday here, but its all change the weekend, I had one sump hole but filled it in.

  10. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #6
    Wouldn’t advise bitumen then fibre glassing, know of someone who lost all his koi taking that route.

  12. Thanks Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #7
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Doitsusanke View Post
    Wouldn’t advise bitumen then fibre glassing, know of someone who lost all his koi taking that route.
    Im putting insulation before fibreglass, but yes you're right not worth the risk

  14. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  15. #8
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Alburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Dover Kent
    Posts
    141
    Thanks / Likes
    182
    Sovereign Chemicals K11 tanking slurry or equivalent, then fibreglass (would be best) Or epoxy paint covering.
    I have used k11 before, its expensive. This stuff is much cheaper and gets good reviews:
    KA tanking slurry
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F322991949521
    Last edited by Alburglar; 21-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.

  16. Thanks Tom Koi Thanked / Liked this Post
  17. #9
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Alburglar View Post
    Sovereign Chemicals K11 tanking slurry or equivalent, then fibreglass (would be best) Or epoxy paint covering.
    I have used k11 before, its expensive. This stuff is much cheaper and gets good reviews:
    KA tanking slurry
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F322991949521
    Yeah Thanks, been checking that stuff out, looks good. would I have to do the whole floor and walls up to the point of the ground surrounding the pond.

    K11 is expensive
    Last edited by Tom Koi; 22-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

  18. #10
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Alburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Dover Kent
    Posts
    141
    Thanks / Likes
    182
    I built a workshop into a Hillside its underground On 3 sides. I used barrier mortar on the join where the concrete floor meets the walls. Then tanking slurry after that. It is bone dry since i did it.

  19. Thanks Ajm, Tom Koi, freddyboy, john1 Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #11
    I had this problem. Sump outside pond did not work for me. I used tanking slurry. Can't remember which type. Goole and you'll find plenty of options.

  21. Thanks Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Alburglar View Post
    I built a workshop into a Hillside its underground On 3 sides. I used barrier mortar on the join where the concrete floor meets the walls. Then tanking slurry after that. It is bone dry since i did it.
    Barrier Mortar, where did you get that, what make is it etc and did you partially grind out the joints prior to putting it down?

    Thanks

  23. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #13
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Alburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Dover Kent
    Posts
    141
    Thanks / Likes
    182
    Yes i did grind out some mortar, before applying the barrier mortar but it is not really necessary. I also did slurry, then mortar, then slurry over the top. The barrier mortar was sovereign chemicals again, but not that expensive compared to the k11.
    The mortar expands if any water tries to come through where the blocks meet the floor.
    A proper damp proof course for a cavity wall would be 4 courses high, but it wasn't necessary in my case so i just went one block high on advice from a damp proofing specialist. He recommended the sovereign products too.
    On a solid wall just go as high as the ground level.


    Last edited by Alburglar; 22-09-2019 at 11:08 PM.

  25. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #14
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Alburglar View Post
    Yes i did grind out some mortar, before applying the barrier mortar but it is not really necessary. I also did slurry, then mortar, then slurry over the top. The barrier mortar was sovereign chemicals again, but not that expensive compared to the k11.
    The mortar expands if any water tries to come through where the blocks meet the floor.
    A proper damp proof course for a cavity wall would be 4 courses high, but it wasn't necessary in my case so i just went one block high on advice from a damp proofing specialist. He recommended the sovereign products too.
    On a solid wall just go as high as the ground level.


    The water coming in has to have stopped and dried out then before you can apply either?

  27. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #15
    Senior Member Rank = Sansai Alburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Dover Kent
    Posts
    141
    Thanks / Likes
    182
    No. It goes on wet. The barrier mortar will actually stop water coming out a hose! There are a couple of youtubes.
    Last edited by Alburglar; 24-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.

  29. Thanks Tom Koi, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #16
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Alburglar View Post
    No. It goes on wet. The barrier mortar will actually stop water coming out a hose! There are a couple of youtubes.
    Spoke with a chap called Jim today and he said it would have to have stopped

    Just checked he works for Construction Chemicals, so different company and material.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Tom Koi; 24-09-2019 at 06:56 PM.

  31. #17

  32. Thanks Tom Koi, john1, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #18
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Quote Originally Posted by Alburglar View Post
    Cheers Alburglar

  34. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  35. #19
    Senior Member Rank = Nanasai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    612
    Thanks / Likes
    1088
    Checked out the video and it looks like I;ll have to render first then use the tank slurry etc??

  36. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:23 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.