Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynej46 View Post
    Theres going to be 1m between walls and outside of the blocks but it’ll have a bridge over for everyday access to the garage. Filter is going in a pit which will be between the pond and the house and then covered by decking.
    A bridge!!! Excellent!!!

    A filter pit always worries me as I would be scared every time we had a real down pour it would fill it up with water and knock out all your electrics. I know they are a necessity if the pond is not built above ground which also has it's own problems as recent threads on here have shown. I know people fit sump pumps in them to help stop them from flooding but you can never rely on them working when you really need them from my experience.

    It's being so cheerful that keeps me going you know LOL

  2. Thanks Waynej46, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #42
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai Waynej46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thorngumbald East York’s
    Posts
    20
    Thanks / Likes
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    That's the advantage of a pond that's square or rectangular, you have a easier job trapping them in the corners unlike my round pond. It's almost a two handed or two netted job at times

    At least with a digger you don't have to struggle too much when the ground's frozen unlike using a spade and fork etc. It's like digging through solid rock at times
    The digger is struggling deep down so itíd have been nigh on impossible with a spade. Itís proper clay.

  4. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynej46 View Post
    The digger is struggling deep down so it’d have been nigh on impossible with a spade. It’s proper clay.
    I know what you mean as clay's a nightmare to dig - full stop. It's solid, sticky and heavy even in warmer weather.

  6. Thanks Waynej46, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #44
    The only good thing I found when digging through clay is the walls don't tend to cave in like they do with standard soil.

  8. Thanks freddyboy, Waynej46 Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #45
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai Waynej46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thorngumbald East York’s
    Posts
    20
    Thanks / Likes
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    A bridge!!! Excellent!!!

    A filter pit always worries me as I would be scared every time we had a real down pour it would fill it up with water and knock out all your electrics. I know they are a necessity if the pond is not built above ground which also has it's own problems as recent threads on here have shown. I know people fit sump pumps in them to help stop them from flooding but you can never rely on them working when you really need them from my experience.

    It's being so cheerful that keeps me going you know LOL
    already thought of and sorted (I hope). There’s going to be a sump with pump in it and itll be same hight as pond with a lid on top. It’ll all be waterproofed so I’m hoping the pump is just a proper back up. Filter will not be sat on the floor eaither. I’ve got a plastic pallet for it to sit so even if there is a little bit of moisture in there, which there shouldn’t be, it won’t rot the base of the filter.

  10. Thanks freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynej46 View Post
    already thought of and sorted (I hope). There’s going to be a sump with pump in it and itll be same hight as pond with a lid on top. It’ll all be waterproofed so I’m hoping the pump is just a proper back up. Filter will not be sat on the floor eaither. I’ve got a plastic pallet for it to sit so even if there is a little bit of moisture in there, which there shouldn’t be, it won’t rot the base of the filter.
    Sounds like you've got it all covered so far Wayne.

    Surely the filter will be made of plastic so it shouldn't be able to rot in the first place should it?

    Maybe a good idea to have it lifted for air circulation or to be able to pump more water out from under it should you ever need to?

  12. #47
    Junior Member Rank = Tosai Waynej46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Thorngumbald East York’s
    Posts
    20
    Thanks / Likes
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Frimley Koi keeper View Post
    Sounds like you've got it all covered so far Wayne.

    Surely the filter will be made of plastic so it shouldn't be able to rot in the first place should it?

    Maybe a good idea to have it lifted for air circulation or to be able to pump more water out from under it should you ever need to?
    ill be honest I can’t remember but it’s better to be safe then sorry. As you say it’ll allow better circulation anyway.

  13. Thanks Frimley Koi keeper Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynej46 View Post
    ill be honest I can’t remember but it’s better to be safe then sorry. As you say it’ll allow better circulation anyway.
    Yes you don't really want water sitting up your filter for too long or it will most likely stagnate and start to smell a bit. Specially if it's in a sealed pit.

  15. Thanks Waynej46 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:01 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.