Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 330
  1. #281
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion pip895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nr Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    2,029
    Thanks / Likes
    768
    So sorry you lost them

    When do you generally do your testing? pH tends to be highest in the afternoon/evening about 5pm at this time of year and lowest/most acidic first thing in the morning. I can only suppose you have been getting really wide swings in pH.

    Have you considered getting a seneye to monitor the pond? I wouldn't be without mine, it has saved the day on a couple of occasions. My tap water has a reasonable amount of KH but I use rain water when its available and that has zero KH. The Seneye texts and emails me when/if the pH, temperature or ammonia goes out of range.
    6000g in ground koi pond
    +3000g lily/Anoxic pond attached
    29 koi (40 to 65cm)
    Bottom drain, Mid water & Skimmer to Drum
    JBR boichamber->Blue eco 500 pump ->below surface return.
    Blue Eco 240 -> Large MB -> Waterfall -> Planted Anoxic pond (25 baskets)

  2. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy, john1, Eifion, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #282
    Sorry to hear of your loss mate.
    As john said. Don t blame yourself mate.
    We have all been there and lost fish.
    Its a learning curve bud.
    When i first started 22 years ago i bought 2x tench a couple of rudd
    And a fantail gold fish to mature my pond. In the november.Before adding koi. In the spring to start maturing the pond. There tougher and more hardy then koi. Never get ill. There 22 years old. Still in there.
    Even when i had built the new pond i lost a few koi with new pond syndrome. But not them.
    Agree with pip. In your case you need something to warn you. Of the swings. In ph and kh.
    Again mate sorry to hear of your loss. Keep your chin up. What counts is your learning.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks Scamp, john1, Eifion, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by pip895 View Post
    So sorry you lost them

    When do you generally do your testing? pH tends to be highest in the afternoon/evening about 5pm at this time of year and lowest/most acidic first thing in the morning. I can only suppose you have been getting really wide swings in pH.

    Have you considered getting a seneye to monitor the pond? I wouldn't be without mine, it has saved the day on a couple of occasions. My tap water has a reasonable amount of KH but I use rain water when its available and that has zero KH. The Seneye texts and emails me when/if the pH, temperature or ammonia goes out of range.
    Thanks Pip, I've tested the PH at various times throughout the day and it's always been spot on, it's just the KH is really low, I'll try again now as I've not tested this late in the day .

    I hadn't realised there was piece of kit available like the Seneye monitor, it looks ideal especially this time of year when I only see the pond in daylight at the weekends .

  6. Thanks anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss mate.
    As john said. Don t blame yourself mate.
    We have all been there and lost fish.
    Its a learning curve bud.
    When i first started 22 years ago i bought 2x tench a couple of rudd
    And a fantail gold fish to mature my pond. In the november.Before adding koi. In the spring to start maturing the pond. There tougher and more hardy then koi. Never get ill. There 22 years old. Still in there.
    Even when i had built the new pond i lost a few koi with new pond syndrome. But not them.
    Agree with pip. In your case you need something to warn you. Of the swings. In ph and kh.
    Again mate sorry to hear of your loss. Keep your chin up. What counts is your learning.
    Fred

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Fred, do you think it's worth me adding a few goldfish just to help the pond mature and get the filters up and running before adding new koi ?

  8. Thanks freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #285
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion pip895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nr Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    2,029
    Thanks / Likes
    768
    Really depends if you have somewhere to move them on to. Personally I would just put koi in but only adding say 3 small ones to start.
    6000g in ground koi pond
    +3000g lily/Anoxic pond attached
    29 koi (40 to 65cm)
    Bottom drain, Mid water & Skimmer to Drum
    JBR boichamber->Blue eco 500 pump ->below surface return.
    Blue Eco 240 -> Large MB -> Waterfall -> Planted Anoxic pond (25 baskets)

  10. Thanks freddyboy, anne, Eifion Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #286
    As pip said. You have to move them on if your going only koi.
    My kids and wife fell in love with them. Thats why i still have them.
    All i am saying there more hardy. For this time of year.
    Worked for me all them years ago.
    Its about what you need to do. To keep the maturity ticking over.
    Don t forget its still a new pond water and mature wise.
    You could put a couple of little koi in there.
    But me myself i would go hardy. Only because of the time of year with tempreture.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  12. Thanks Scamp, anne, Eifion Thanked / Liked this Post
  13. #287
    Hi itís looking lovely, I have t got all the way through yet, why did you use crushed stone rather than concrete for the base ?
    Also how much flow are you pulling through the one bottoms drain ?
    And whatís dimensions is the pond please

  14. #288
    Gutted that the wall has blown out and Iíve just read you lost fish, sorry to hear this

  15. Thanks freddyboy, Eifion Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #289
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks / Likes
    991
    Blimey Riley Eifion Head in hands moment after reading what's been going on, listen to the excellent advice
    that the others have given you and all will come good in the end . Really frustrated for you, so I am off to kick
    the neighbours cat, might kick the neighbour as well while I am at it .
    As if I would kick the cat...…….now the neighbour !!!!!!!!!

  17. Thanks Eifion, john1, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy View Post
    Hi itís looking lovely, I have t got all the way through yet, why did you use crushed stone rather than concrete for the base ?
    Also how much flow are you pulling through the one bottoms drain ?
    And whatís dimensions is the pond please
    Hello Mitchy, the crushed stone was the builders decision, they'd used it before and I went with their advice .

    The pump is 10,000 ltrs per hour , so that's the pull I guess .

    The pond is around 6ft wide, 14 ft long and 5.5 ft deep, the total volume is a little over 13,000 ltrs .

  19. #291
    Iíve never seen it used before, I was going to concrete bit crushed stone would be cheaper but maybe not as strong ?

    It looks bigger than that in the videos, lovely spot mind

    Has it now been up with the 9Ē blocks for awhile now with no issues ?

  20. #292
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion pip895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Nr Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    2,029
    Thanks / Likes
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyboy View Post
    As pip said. You have to move them on if your going only koi.
    My kids and wife fell in love with them. Thats why i still have them.
    All i am saying there more hardy. For this time of year.
    Worked for me all them years ago.
    Its about what you need to do. To keep the maturity ticking over.
    Don t forget its still a new pond water and mature wise.
    You could put a couple of little koi in there.
    But me myself i would go hardy. Only because of the time of year with tempreture.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Puting one goldfish in is one thing but putting several in then they will bread and you will end up with loads in my experience. A couple of koi pond fillers that someone local is moving on might be another option. It is true that young imported fish can be slightly more delicate.
    6000g in ground koi pond
    +3000g lily/Anoxic pond attached
    29 koi (40 to 65cm)
    Bottom drain, Mid water & Skimmer to Drum
    JBR boichamber->Blue eco 500 pump ->below surface return.
    Blue Eco 240 -> Large MB -> Waterfall -> Planted Anoxic pond (25 baskets)

  21. Thanks freddyboy, john1, Eifion Thanked / Liked this Post
  22. #293
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks / Likes
    3918
    Agree with Pip,if you want to keep koi then just put koi in your pond.
    I would wait till March/April or May then go to Taff Koi by you or even pay him a visit earlier for a chat and get some 5 to 6 ins,he breeds them and has mud ponds so will be quite hardy and from last years late spawning,I am sure he would advise you as he seems a nice guy on the phone.
    Up to you really Eifion.
    John

  23. Thanks freddyboy, Eifion Thanked / Liked this Post
  24. #294
    Senior Member Rank = Grand Champion andikoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    wakefield,west yorkshire
    Posts
    2,651
    Thanks / Likes
    2035
    ive had goldfish and koi and in 12 years never had any breed,they must all be male or female or gay lol,andi

  25. Thanks freddyboy, Eifion, Ajm Thanked / Liked this Post
  26. #295
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    487
    Thanks / Likes
    633

    New pond construction in progress, really appreciate feedback

    Iíve got 4 little goldfish in my new/July 2018 3,850g/17,500 litre Koi pond at the mo and they are working a treat. Filters are maturing and the water is nice and stable. Had a PH wobble a few months back but some bicarb and a small water change settled it.

    On my own limited experience Iíd say to go goldfish to kick things off and wait for later for the Koi.

    The goldies I bought are nice fellas with some interesting markings, nice fins and only cost me £20. I wonít be moving them on or otherwise, theyíll live with the Koi when they come in the spring.

    No issues in the cold, they still come to the top bizarrely for a small brekkie even though the waterís 6deg!!!

    In my humble option Iíd go for goldies for now and wait for the warmer weather to add Koi and by that time the filters will be at least a little way towards maturing.
    Last edited by Gray; 14-02-2019 at 12:43 AM.

  27. Thanks freddyboy, Eifion, andikoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  28. #296
    Same here my goldfish never bred.
    But the rudd did. Like that andi. They must be gay. My fantail goldfish. As gray says. Has great markings. And is a good looking fish. First fish i bought with the rudd. So sentimental wise. He will always have a home in my pond.
    He chases the koi females all over when summer comes. Our lass named him Frisky. Onlyone left now.
    With the rudd and tench.
    Everyone has differant opinions. Thats what is so good about the site.
    All i was getting at. Is to mature your pond. I just don t think for this time of year with no heating. Your pond is ready to add koi. But like
    Was said it is up to you.
    Good look with it mate. With what you decide. The positive out of all this is your learning.
    You know about kh and ph plus bicarb now.
    Fred


    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

  29. Thanks Scamp, Eifion, john1, Frimley Koi keeper, andikoi, Gray Thanked / Liked this Post
  30. #297
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Rokusai anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks / Likes
    991
    [QUOTE=freddyboy;285921]

    . Our lass named him Frisky. Awww Fred, is that what your good lady called you back in the day,

    Frisky Fred

  31. Thanks Eifion, freddyboy, john1, Ajm, Frimley Koi keeper, andikoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  32. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy View Post
    I’ve never seen it used before, I was going to concrete bit crushed stone would be cheaper but maybe not as strong ?

    It looks bigger than that in the videos, lovely spot mind

    Has it now been up with the 9” blocks for awhile now with no issues ?
    It's probably been around 6 months, no issues with the base so far.

  33. Thanks freddyboy, john1, andikoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  34. #299
    Thanks all for your advice on koi or not koi and when

    Never knew there were gay fish, always something new to learn with this fish keeping

    I really don't like the pond being empty, just doesn't look right . But saying that, I'll certainly not consider adding any fish for a few weeks until I get consistent good water test results . I've also bought DPD4 tablets to test for chlorine and an Oxygen testing kit, hopefully I should have all bases covered .

  35. Thanks freddyboy, john1, Frimley Koi keeper, andikoi Thanked / Liked this Post
  36. #300
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    3,414
    Thanks / Likes
    3918
    Good news you have the Dpd4 tabs but do test as per Mankys site ie looking down at the tablet as opposed to side view,they will help you a lot Eifion to get used to the correct dose for your pond.
    Eventually you probably won't need them much as you get used to what your pond needs,but it takes time.
    John

  37. Thanks freddyboy, Frimley Koi keeper, andikoi, Eifion, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:45 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.