Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 807
  1. #781
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    377
    Thanks / Likes
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1984 View Post
    4 days and 4 birds in the pond, 3 dead I saw the last 1 today just as I was about to.go out so rescued it. Definitely going to have to go with a pergola will look at that next weekend. On the bright side I've laid the turf and put the slate chippings behind the sleepers had loads left over so done the front flower bed too

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

    Very nice Steve, looks the business fair play.

  2. Thanks freddyboy, anne Thanked / Liked this Post
  3. #782
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks / Likes
    2780
    Pond and garden look great Steve, hard work starting to pay off.

    Sorry to hear about the birds, I don't understand it really as I've never had any problems with birds falling in even though they try and stretch down to get a drink while standing on the mesh. I have a bird feeder near the pond with a water bowl, always at least 5 or 6 birds standing on the edge of the pond as they wait their turn for food, but again, none have ever fallen in.

  4. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  5. #783
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    Pond and garden look great Steve, hard work starting to pay off.

    Sorry to hear about the birds, I don't understand it really as I've never had any problems with birds falling in even though they try and stretch down to get a drink while standing on the mesh. I have a bird feeder near the pond with a water bowl, always at least 5 or 6 birds standing on the edge of the pond as they wait their turn for food, but again, none have ever fallen in.
    No it's strange I done a water change tonight and saw another one at the bottom of pond, I really don't get what's going on. I've started to look at the bits for the pergola and will get them.ordered on pay day. The polycarbonate roof seems to be the most expensive part almost £220 for 16mm sheet 4mm is a lot cheaper but not sure if its any good

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  6. Thanks RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  7. #784
    Senior Member Rank = Jussai Ajm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks / Likes
    2315
    Try these for your polycarb cheapest I've found and if you ring they some times have to much stock and sell cheaper still . I just missed out the other day on so 30 some it mm for the price of 10mm

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


    Ad∑C & A Building Products |Fascia & Roofing Specialists
    C & A Building Plastics
    Johnathan

  8. Thanks Djstiles999, RS2OOO, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  9. #785
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajm View Post
    Try these for your polycarb cheapest I've found and if you ring they some times have to much stock and sell cheaper still . I just missed out the other day on so 30 some it mm for the price of 10mm

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


    Ad∑C & A Building Products |Fascia & Roofing Specialists
    C & A Building Plastics
    Thanks I'll give them a call I looked at their website the other day

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  10. Thanks Ajm, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  11. #786
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    For those that have built pergolas on their ponds how do you fix them to the pond.i dont have the luxury of putting posts into the ground as i built right up to my fence line and the doors on the filter house are too close to the pond to allow me to put posts on the patio. this means that I need to somehow fix the posts on top of the coping stonesbut i'm not sure how to go about doing this, as always suggestions are welcome.

  12. #787
    Junior Member Rank = Fry ganroob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    KENT
    Posts
    6
    Thanks / Likes
    4
    Just read 40 pages (so far), big slap on the back to you, nicely done. Functional and attractrive, wife must be very happy with the end result.

    All that pipework in the filter house does my head in ! Just plain pump fed and gravity return via filters for me.

    I've also had suicidal birds, all young starlings, even with a full pond cover.

    Keep the pics coming of further developments.

  13. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #788
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by ganroob View Post
    Just read 40 pages (so far), big slap on the back to you, nicely done. Functional and attractrive, wife must be very happy with the end result.

    All that pipework in the filter house does my head in ! Just plain pump fed and gravity return via filters for me.

    I've also had suicidal birds, all young starlings, even with a full pond cover.

    Keep the pics coming of further developments.
    Thanks I finally connected up the pipework to enable me to purge the bds this weekend just need to add the sieve and bead into the pipework then everything can flush to wasteland

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  15. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #789
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Come home tonight and with all the rain we've had the sieve was about an inch from overflowing I've drained the pond down to normal level but what's the best way of fitting an overflow so that the sieve doesn't overflow. I do have a drain in the filter house but if possible would rather not use as it's for emergency use and not sure how much water it would take. Thinking that I could possibly drill a hole in the side of the sieve and then run pipework out of the wall

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  17. #790
    Senior Member Rank = Adult Champion RS2OOO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks / Likes
    2780
    There's a thread on here somewhere of an overflow that doesn't need holes drilled. Pretty sure I've saved the thread to favourites so will have a look when next on the PC.

    If your on a water meter running the overflow to a water butt could be an idea

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  18. Thanks Steve1984 Thanked / Liked this Post
  19. #791
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
    There's a thread on here somewhere of an overflow that doesn't need holes drilled. Pretty sure I've saved the thread to favourites so will have a look when next on the PC.

    If your on a water meter running the overflow to a water butt could be an idea

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks would appreciate that if you can find the link. I've got a spare water butt, however I've got nowhere that I can place it unfortunately. I utilised all the space in could for the build and filter house

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  20. #792
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    377
    Thanks / Likes
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1984 View Post
    Thanks would appreciate that if you can find the link. I've got a spare water butt, however I've got nowhere that I can place it unfortunately. I utilised all the space in could for the build and filter house

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

    Steve, just a suggestion of another possible solution could be to build a pergola and roof it with polycarbonate boards, which maybe could keep most of the rain out.

  21. #793
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Yeah I'd like a pergola just not sure how to support it on the pond and cant find any brackets to use other than fence post brackets which I don't want

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  22. #794
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Tom Koi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Neath
    Posts
    377
    Thanks / Likes
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1984 View Post
    Yeah I'd like a pergola just not sure how to support it on the pond and cant find any brackets to use other than fence post brackets which I don't want

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Maybe support the legs up the sides of pond walls, 1 near either corner and maybe another leg in the middle

  23. #795
    Junior Member Rank = Fry jimsharples's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    wakefield, west yorkshire
    Posts
    3
    Thanks / Likes
    3
    Are you wanting something like this ?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222787736039

    I also found this

    https://www.stainlesstimberconnector...-post-supports


    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimsharples; 11-06-2019 at 05:44 AM.

  24. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  25. #796
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Something similar to those but round as I'm looking to use bamboo for my pergola, just to add a bit of complexity to the situation Steves 1st pond build

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  26. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  27. #797
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Few pictures of the new fish the kids got me for fathers day. Koi shop had a special on buy one get one free if you spent over £75 bargain I'd say

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  28. Thanks john1, Ajm, Tom Koi, lee63, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  29. #798
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,298
    Thanks / Likes
    5892
    DIY over flow / trickle in / out pump fed pond

    There you go Steve,I copied the same and works great but I did mine from 1.5ins push fit so you can swivel it up and down to adjust the level in your pond.
    You have to do it exact as per Mels instructions and no drilling needed.
    John

  30. Thanks lee63, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  31. #799
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Grand Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    N.Wales.
    Posts
    4,298
    Thanks / Likes
    5892
    I did my posts on top.
    You need some rebar prefarably s/s. I drilled down into the top of the comings about 6ins where you want the post and needs to be drilled exactly level.
    Next drill up into the centre of the post again exactly level about 6ins then cut metal about 1/2ins longer than 12ins so that when tapped home the post stands a out 1/2 ins off the toppings so no water ingress.

    I did all this and quite easy but I thought it would wobble a bit but it was surprisingly very sturdy.
    Put it this way it takes my 14 st as I have been up there.

    For the roof I used 1/2 bamboo roll,toolstation 4 x 1 mtrs for £10 delivered.
    John

  32. Thanks jimsharples, lee63, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  33. #800
    Senior Member Rank = Rokusai Steve1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    south ockendon
    Posts
    416
    Thanks / Likes
    479
    Thanks John I'll have a look at doing the over flow this way would save me drilling the sieve. Never thought of using rebar to stick the posts on to. Not sure if I want normal posts or bamboo posts like the idea of a bamboo roof does it let any light through

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  34. Thanks lee63, freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.