Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    koi help - ulcer/attack/something else?

    Over the last few days ive noticed one of my Israeli koi just sitting under the water fall pretty much most of the time.
    Only tonight iv ive managed to get close enough to see what the problem is.

    He seems to have a slightly bent tail as if It was broken or something has been dropped on it and there seems to be a patch where theres no scales, but its not red or infected (yet) so all in all im wondering if something has attacked the fish rather than illness??
    There also seems to be always another fish *standing guard* for some reason

    Take a look at the picture, sorry its not the best pic What do you guys think??

    And thanks


    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by st3v3; 16-05-2019 at 08:49 PM.

  2. #2
    What are your water parameters?

    Is your pond covered with a net?


    Are you able to take a scrape?

  3. #3
    thank you for answering.
    1) not sure, but never had a problem in 10 years
    2) no
    3)no

    4) sorry I know that doesn't help a lot

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    thank you for answering.
    1) not sure, but never had a problem in 10 years
    2) no
    3)no

    4) sorry I know that doesn't help a lot






    How much water do you change a week? Do you use a dechlorinator?


    Do you know if you have hard or soft water?


    Have you ever seen a heron flying over? Do your neighbours have cats?


    What kind of filtration do you have?




    I know these questions may seem like a pain, but in order to solve the problem it 1st needs to be found.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kikokuryu John View Post
    How much water do you change a week? Do you use a dechlorinator?


    Do you know if you have hard or soft water?


    Have you ever seen a heron flying over? Do your neighbours have cats?


    What kind of filtration do you have?




    I know these questions may seem like a pain, but in order to solve the problem it 1st needs to be found.
    I don't really change the water just top it up its a 1359 gallon pond and I normally top it up till it overflows depending on temp, could be 0 in the winter and maybe 10-15% in summer, to date this spring ive probably put in about 20% so maybe 270 gallons in the last month

    water is a little soft in our area.

    no heron ever, cats seem to be getting worse for sure

    filter is a 72w UV linked to a multibay kokney koi

    I feed the fish only once a day and be very careful not to overfeed.
    There is 8 koi and 1shebumkin in the pond.

    wow that took me for ever to type that , this editor keeps missing letters out as I type

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post
    I don't really change the water just top it up its a 1359 gallon pond and I normally top it up till it overflows depending on temp, could be 0 in the winter and maybe 10-15% in summer, to date this spring ive probably put in about 20% so maybe 270 gallons in the last month

    water is a little soft in our area.

    no heron ever, cats seem to be getting worse for sure

    filter is a 72w UV linked to a multibay kokney koi

    I feed the fish only once a day and be very careful not to overfeed.
    There is 8 koi and 1shebumkin in the pond.

    wow that took me for ever to type that , this editor keeps missing letters out as I type


    The 1st thing you should do is get a water test kit to test for PH, KH, ammonia and nitrite. Try testing the ph in the morning then in the evening.


    I live in a soft water area and normally from the tap I have a kh of 20ppm but so far this year it's been 0ppm. This is bad as it can cause terrible ph swings/ph crash and is not sufficient to support the level of biological activity my pond requires.


    Not having enough or any filter activity will cause ammonia/nitrite spikes which is bad for fish.

    Testing the water really is the 1st place to start, if all is good scrapes will most likely be needed to determine if parasites are present.




    Edit.

    Just to add that the strip type test kits are garbage, a drop type test kit is far better. Or if money is of no concern fancy digital kits are available.

    I myself use a the Colombo drop type kit.
    Last edited by kikokuryu John; 17-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.

  7. Thanks freddyboy Thanked / Liked this Post
  8. #7
    test kit now ordered.

    ive ha another look this morning and theres still no redness, I think shes scared that's why shes hiding under the waterfall, I reckon a heron may have had a go!

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 AM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.