Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Swim bladder

  1. #1

    Swim bladder

    Hi all. Have a 75cm kohaku that’s been lying on bottom since November. Upon netting she has sores where she has been resting underneath. From new the koi would regular come to surface gulp air then carry on with its day. I have treated wound in pictures and removed dead scales and added anti bac etc.

    All water parameters good, scraped several others and found nothing, all other koi behaving. Pond has been heated all winter around 14 deg, 10pc water changed per week via dechlorinator trickle in out drum/bakki/bead filtration. No chlorine present.

    My thoughts are either swim bladder or bacterial infection , so contacted vet and have antibiotics to administer via injections. 7 syringes in total every other day for 2 weeks. Anyone have any experiences of swim bladder/antibiotics or things to look out for would be appreciated thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  2. #2
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Mature Champion john1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Flintshire
    Posts
    2,466
    Thanks / Likes
    2214
    Hi mate,not an expert in this field but it looks nasty and i would say you are on the right track keep doing the antiback with the injections.

    I have no experience with this happening and i am not heated surprised it happened as you are heated,good luck and keep in touch with her progress.
    John

  3. Thanks Minitholl Thanked / Liked this Post
  4. #3
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    309
    Thanks / Likes
    150
    Hi you are currently holding your pond at a temperature which is known as Aeromonas Alley which is between 10dc and 18dc, this means that bad Bactria will prosper while the fishes immune system is only at about 50%, to assist with the medication and if you have the means I would try to raise the pond temperature up to 18/19dc. I’m no expert but this is why I heat from now until outside temps have risen enough to hold the pond above this level.

    Below is a link where they do talk about it but you can just google “Aeromonas Alley” or Aeromonas temperature in koi pond.

    https://www.pondexperts.ca/pond-advi...res-in-spring/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Thanks Minitholl Thanked / Liked this Post
  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kelv0102 View Post
    Hi you are currently holding your pond at a temperature which is known as Aeromonas Alley which is between 10dc and 18dc, this means that bad Bactria will prosper while the fishes immune system is only at about 50%, to assist with the medication and if you have the means I would try to raise the pond temperature up to 18/19dc. I’m no expert but this is why I heat from now until outside temps have risen enough to hold the pond above this level.

    Below is a link where they do talk about it but you can just google “Aeromonas Alley” or Aeromonas temperature in koi pond.

    https://www.pondexperts.ca/pond-advi...res-in-spring/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Temperature now raised to 20 degrees. 4 more antibiotic shots to go.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    309
    Thanks / Likes
    150
    Good luck fella


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    I thought having read via Manky Sankes advice that Aeromonas Alley was between c. 8 and 12C (perhaps I have remembered this incorrectly)?

    Ian.

  9. Thanks AdamKoi78, RJW2012, Minitholl, milaz, voodoo_15_uk Thanked / Liked this Post
  10. #7
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Adult Champion AdamKoi78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,957
    Thanks / Likes
    1311
    Quote Originally Posted by imc28 View Post
    I thought having read via Manky Sankes advice that Aeromonas Alley was between c. 8 and 12C (perhaps I have remembered this incorrectly)?

    Ian.
    That's my understand also Ian.

  11. Thanks imc28, Minitholl, Manky Sanke, milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  12. #8
    Extreme Koi Member Rank = Gosai kelv0102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    309
    Thanks / Likes
    150
    I didn’t think it was that high either! Maybe manky will comment on here and advise accordingly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Thanks Minitholl, Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  14. #9
    I don't like to disagree with people but, while those temperature values for bug activity are reasonably correct, the Aeromonas Alley principle is more of a problem to koi at temperatures below about 12 °C when the koi specific immune system isn't making any white blood cells at all so it is totally ineffective. Although pathogenic bug activity is also low below 12°C, they are still active but the koi specific immune system is totally shut down so koi only have their non-specific or innate immune system which only gives a basic defence against pathogens.

    Luther Chien is, as far as I can tell, the original proponent of the Aeromonas Alley effect and his figures are lower. The graph below is drawn from his figures and I wrote up what he found on this link (giving him the credit for the research of course):
    Aeromonas alley




  15. Thanks imc28, AdamKoi78, Minitholl, milaz Thanked / Liked this Post
  16. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    I don't like to disagree with people but, while those temperature values for bug activity are reasonably correct, the Aeromonas Alley principle is more of a problem to koi at temperatures below about 12 °C when the koi specific immune system isn't making any white blood cells at all so it is totally ineffective. Although pathogenic bug activity is also low below 12°C, they are still active but the koi specific immune system is totally shut down so koi only have their non-specific or innate immune system which only gives a basic defence against pathogens.

    Luther Chien is, as far as I can tell, the original proponent of the Aeromonas Alley effect and his figures are lower. The graph below is drawn from his figures and I wrote up what he found on this link (giving him the credit for the research of course):
    Aeromonas alley



    Thank you Syd. Informative and easy to understand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. Thanks Manky Sanke Thanked / Liked this Post
  18. #11
    Thank you,

    Luther Chien's explanation of Aeromonas Alley and the research it was based on was quite long and complicated so I wrote it up in a form that would pass on the core details in a form that would be easy to follow but without dumbing it down.

  19. Thanks Minitholl Thanked / Liked this Post
  20. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Manky Sanke View Post
    Thank you,

    Luther Chien's explanation of Aeromonas Alley and the research it was based on was quite long and complicated so I wrote it up in a form that would pass on the core details in a form that would be easy to follow but without dumbing it down.
    Indeed. Can definitely discount Aeromonas Alley as pond has been heated all winter above the 12.8 threshold. The 25 degree “koi utopia” will definitely be a summer phenomenon only in my pond though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. Thanks RJW2012 Thanked / Liked this Post
 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53 PM. Online Koi Mag Forum
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

vBulletin Improved By vBFoster® (Lite Version), © UltimateScheme, Ltd.